• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gary Deegan

What's happened ?

Colin Calderwood revealed that Gary Deegan has been missing from Cambridge United's pre-season schedule due to a form of blood poisoning.

Despite featuring in the first week of pre-season training, the skipper hasn't played in any of United's four games and didn't make the trip to Scotland.

The U's head coach said that he hopes the 30-year-old is now on the mend, adding that it could be a "long time" before he returns to action

"Gary has been in a serious condition and has been in hospital," Calderwood said.

"He's really been through the mill and had a form of blood poising and had three operations.

"It's a real blow to him as he's an influential character, but the seriousness of it means we have to take care of him.

Sounds like Sepsis, fortunately these days it is more recognisable than in recent years.
How do I know?. My younger brother died of it 4 years ago, 5 days after feeling unwell.
His Dr. thought he had a virus, & advised him to take paracetamol!.
Thank goodness for the symtoms now being much more common knowledge to medical practitioners.

Best of luck to him hope he is on the mend soon as possible

Best wishes to him, how scary for a young fit man to end up in such a state. Hope he makes a full speedy recovery

Sounds like Sepsis, fortunately these days it is more recognisable than in recent years.
How do I know?. My younger brother died of it 4 years ago, 5 days after feeling unwell.
His Dr. thought he had a virus, & advised him to take paracetamol!.
Thank goodness for the symtoms now being much more common knowledge to medical practitioners.

Very sorry to hear that Tony. I know your brother didn't catch it inside a Hospital, it really is a horrendous illness. There were two old people that I would help, one being a neighbour, and both died of sepsis in Southend Hospital, having gone in there for something else. My friend and neighbour, bless her, caught sepsis twice in there. The first time on a previous stay in that Hospital. They saved her the first time, but not the second. I knew something wasn't right. Then when speaking to people, loads said they knew someone that caught it in there. I looked into it and Southend Hospital was going through a 17% above what it should be for unexpected deaths. A lot down to sepsis. There was a big article about it in the echo. The professor investigating put it down to overcrowding and high turnover of beds, and a less than average doctors per bed ratio needed. You're right T, it does sound like Gary Deegan has caught sepsis, to be confirmed of course. Whatever he caught, we can just hope he comes through with no lasting effects.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear that Tony. I know your brother didn't catch it inside a Hospital, it really is a horrendous illness. There were two old people that I would help, one being a neighbour, and both died of sepsis in Southend Hospital, having gone in there for something else. My friend and neighbour, bless her, caught sepsis twice in there. The first time on a previous stay in that Hospital. They saved her the first time, but not the second. I knew something wasn't right. Then when speaking to people, loads said they knew someone that caught it in there. I looked into it and Southend Hospital was going through a 17% above what it should be for unexpected deaths. A lot down to sepsis. There was a big article about it in the echo. The professor investigating put it down to overcrowding and high turnover of beds, and a less than average doctors per bed ratio needed. You're right T, it does sound like Gary Deegan has caught sepsis, to be confirmed of course. Whatever he caught, we can just hope he comes through with no lasting effects.

A very interesting reply TSNB, even heard Ozzie ( Paul ) died of it in there, back in March, although initially there for something else?.
What I cant fathom, is supposedly it's an initial infection caused by a cut to the body ( shaving, gardening, the list is endless )?.
Yet i'd presume all those who contracted it in Hospital were by an airborne infection??.
FWIW it took 4 months before the Coroners could decide Sepsis was the cause of my brothers death ( such was the lack of info on it 4 yrs ago ), before they put it as cause of death on the certificate.

Gary has left Cambridge U, contract terminated by mutual consent. He is reported as having been making good progress on his health BUT wanted to return to Eire and his family. All easily understandable, especially as he is 32 and a full co back would be a minor miracle.
Best wishes Deegs.
I liked him as a player and bloke.

Gary has left Cambridge U, contract terminated by mutual consent. He is reported as having been making good progress on his health BUT wanted to return to Eire and his family. All easily understandable, especially as he is 32 and a full co back would be a minor miracle.
Best wishes Deegs.
I liked him as a player and bloke.

PB initially signed him on a real cheap deal for 3 months, as he had been impressed with his attitude. For example, PB liked to be at the training ground first at around 08:00. When he turned up every morning Deegan would already be in the gym and do his sessions before tea and toast.

Maybe could employ Deegan to round up the players earning 4 times what he did, who now skive off up in the canteen when they should be in the gym.

PB initially signed him on a real cheap deal for 3 months, as he had been impressed with his attitude. For example, PB liked to be at the training ground first at around 08:00. When he turned up every morning Deegan would already be in the gym and do his sessions before tea and toast.

Maybe could employ Deegan to round up the players earning 4 times what he did, who now skive off up in the canteen when they should be in the gym.

Remember Brown saying at one of our Trust Q&As what a great example he was to the others.

I was in the process of helping Gary and his missus secure a rental property when he was told he was being let go. Both nice people.

While we are still waiting for something to happen in time for Tuesday ,some may be interested to see that the ex Southend "ChopperHarris" has a WHOLE PAGE devoted to him in today's Irish Independent
Just resigned for Shelbourne
Says best time of his ten years in the UK was with Southend under Phil Brown!!

Thought was of topical interest but I seem to have buried it under ex Shrimpers instead of live chit chat??

Back