• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Defender's new deal at Southend United includes option of testimonial

Testimonial games are almost always arranged by people outside of the club. This means for a player to get one on, there needs to be a lot of work done (often by volunteers as part of an organising committee)

On Ronnie Pountney’s part not Ron Martin’s - I have been told that it cost Ronnie 4K to set up his testimonial?
Don't forget his hard-working committee. Not sure where that figure came from (obviously stewards and catering had to be covered) - will check my notes for breakdown. John Main was chairman at the time btw.
Found a summary of Ron's testimonial in the loft today, quite a nostalgic read. We had to pay SUFC £7,300 (biggest costs being £2,800 for stewards/turnstile operators and £2,600 for bars/catering/manning the boxes etc). The high charges were challenged, but ignored. We paid £1,500 to the club shop for the four different strips (Alan Little insisted on all of his 24 man squad getting one, even though they only fielded 13 players on the night). A further £1,300 covered the trophies and commemorative glassware that was given to each player. I also noted at the time that we had to issue the club with paying in slips as soon as any ticket money cleared (as winding up rumours were rife at the time), that we paid Charlton Athletic £500 for their travelling expenses, that the club hindered promoting the game and selling tickets, and that Hi-Tec, Supreme Coaches and Universal Cycles all declined to advertise in the match-day brochure. We suspected that John Main was told he was surplus to requirements just before the event (but that did not stop his wife rushing through the kits, following the suppliers getting 'windy' after reading about another winding-up story in the Sun). It was an interesting experience to say the least.

Found a summary of Ron's testimonial in the loft today, quite a nostalgic read. We had to pay SUFC £7,300 (biggest costs being £2,800 for stewards/turnstile operators and £2,600 for bars/catering/manning the boxes etc). The high charges were challenged, but ignored. We paid £1,500 to the club shop for the four different strips (Alan Little insisted on all of his 24 man squad getting one, even though they only fielded 13 players on the night). A further £1,300 covered the trophies and commemorative glassware that was given to each player. I also noted at the time that we had to issue the club with paying in slips as soon as any ticket money cleared (as winding up rumours were rife at the time), that we paid Charlton Athletic £500 for their travelling expenses, that the club hindered promoting the game and selling tickets, and that Hi-Tec, Supreme Coaches and Universal Cycles all declined to advertise in the match-day brochure. We suspected that John Main was told he was surplus to requirements just before the event (but that did not stop his wife rushing through the kits, following the suppliers getting 'windy' after reading about another winding-up story in the Sun). It was an interesting experience to say the least.

Was Alan Little a team-mate of Ronnie's?

Was Alan Little a team-mate of Ronnie's?
Yes he was. Ron once told me Little was 'sent-off ' during a training session at Rocheway for wiping out a team mate. When Ron went over to him to see what it was all about he told him; 'go away Ron, or I'll do you an'all!'.
And actually, my bad, Little indicated that all 24 would turn out but it was Ron himself who insisted that they all got a strip.

When Ronnie was doing some painting and decorating at my house about 5 years ago he gave me a couple of the commemorative glass football's which I know were given to the Charlton Athletic players on that night.(One of these items was being sold by a former Charlton player on Ebay a few years ago). On that night I also purchased one of Ron's No.7 Rebus Shirts which was signed by the players, this was part of the auction on that night only to find that the word Testimonial was spelt wrong (Testimonal).

When Ronnie was doing some painting and decorating at my house about 5 years ago he gave me a couple of the commemorative glass football's which I know were given to the Charlton Athletic players on that night.(One of these items was being sold by a former Charlton player on Ebay a few years ago). On that night I also purchased one of Ron's No.7 Rebus Shirts which was signed by the players, this was part of the auction on that night only to find that the word Testimonial was spelt wrong (Testimonal).
Err (cough) one of my tasks was the kits. We spelt it correctly, Lorraine Main blamed it on the suppliers (but surely that makes it more collectible?).

I was on Ron Pountney's committee too, procuring stuff from other clubs to auction.
Blimey , poor old Paul Samsson must of got sod all after expenses with the size of his gate .

I was on Ron Pountney's committee too, procuring stuff from other clubs to auction.
I helped out on Ron's original Testimonial back in the1984-85 season. At that time I was part of the Southend United Supporters Football Club and was able to get lots of the then players to support the various functions that RP had organised throughout that season which was great. Sadly the big money spinning match at the end of that season was called off when West Ham were unable to fulfil playing his match due to a fixture backlog. We had hoped to play this match the following season(tickets were already printed)but then Ron found out that he was being made surplus to Bobby Moore's requirements which was a big blow to all his many fans, so what Ron must have made of it God only knows. A player who gave so much to the club and then after 10 years great service was then just dumped was beyond belief. For helping Ron out and attending many of the functions that season Ron gave me Alan Hansen's Liverpool Shirt from the previous season when Liverpool were crowned league champions something I treasure to this very day.

Back