• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

blue pilot

Youth Team
This time last year... our play off chances were slipping away, players were underporforming, fan were getting restless, Ron wielded the axe.
Now, 12months on its deja vu. We all know Ron has told PB the target is promotion, thats looking less and less likely with each game.

fast forward 2 months... promotion / play-offs not achieved. Will PB walk before Ron wields the axe ? I'm not certain he'll hang about if we dont go up, seems to spend more time on his media work than at Southend!

is it time for a new type of manager? We've had 2 experienced 'names' (Sturrock and Brown) and both are struggling to take us forwards. Is it time to look for a young, hungry manager for next season, someone like Justin Edinburgh (still has strong connections in the area I believe) or maybe a similar type? Is it time to think about a possible change in the Summer?

This time last year... our play off chances were slipping away, players were underporforming, fan were getting restless, Ron wielded the axe.
Now, 12months on its deja vu. We all know Ron has told PB the target is promotion, thats looking less and less likely with each game.

fast forward 2 months... promotion / play-offs not achieved. Will PB walk before Ron wields the axe ? I'm not certain he'll hang about if we dont go up, seems to spend more time on his media work than at Southend!

is it time for a new type of manager? We've had 2 experienced 'names' (Sturrock and Brown) and both are struggling to take us forwards. Is it time to look for a young, hungry manager for next season, someone like Justin Edinburgh (still has strong connections in the area I believe) or maybe a similar type? Is it time to think about a possible change in the Summer?

Until Ron goes the club will always be a lower league club punching above its weight ,The club could bring in another guy who eventually will get bogged down by the madness from upstairs.

It may possibly be that they were overperforming earlier in the season, the bookies (at the start of the season), with pretty much the same players, had us down for a nowhere finish. Maybe were just not that good, promotion is won over a whole season and I do not see this present squad achieving that objective, given its shortfalls in key areas that have been there all season long. Central defense and pace, in the middle and up front. We will do well to reach the play offs and after last nights inadequacies, very well indeed. Deja vu indeed.

7 games ago he was the messiah now people are talking about sacking him.

He certainly needs to turn things around but there is no point in sacking him. Unlike with Sturrock we have played some very good football this year so stick with Brown and hope he can get us back.

If we do fail to make the play-offs at the end of the season then that's a discussion to be had then.

I think PB will hang onto the bitter end. If he gets sacked from lil' old Southend he'll never get a managerial job again.

It's not the manager thats the problem, lack of cash for a decent squad is!

We have gone from the top of the form table to rock bottom after our financial situation improved and the embargo was lifted.

Its not lack of cash thats caused the dip.

We have gone from the top of the form table to rock bottom after our financial situation improved and the embargo was lifted.

Its not lack of cash thats caused the dip.

Strength in depth (or rather, the lack of) has caused it IMO & that has to be money related surely?

It's not the manager thats the problem, lack of cash for a decent squad is!

I would suggest not - our budget for a league 2 team is up there well into the top ten in this league. It's not top, but well embeded in the top ten.

Let's hope PB can pull it off. If the season finished now then good job. If we don't make it then it has to come down to PB.

Dare I say I would mind seeing a Martin Allen type character coming in if PB were to fail. My top preference is that PB still manages to take us up this season..

Brown also has a far more expensive back room staff than we have had in many years.

SUFCFANS said:
I would suggest not - our budget for a league 2 team is up there well into the top ten in this league. It's not top, but well embeded in the top ten.

Let's hope PB can pull it off. If the season finished now then good job. If we don't make it then it has to come down to PB.

Dare I say I would mind seeing a Martin Allen type character coming in if PB were to fail. My top preference is that PB still manages to take us up this season..
Which is where we are in the league. I think people are panicking a bit too much at the moment. Yes, we're on a bad run of form but that can change in an instant. I'd rather have a bad run now, rather than at the business end of the season. There's still 13(?) games to go, that's nearly a third of the season...

If that IS the case, then why hasn't he? That's the bigger question

He has, Barnard/O'Neil/Thompson/Cian. Most of them break pretty quickly unfortunately.

He was hoping to have a replacement yesterday but didnt happen, I'm sure we will have another central defender come Saturday.

Back