• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update Deleting posts

Cricko

This seems to be a common complaint at the moment, that the Owners/Mods delete posts...After discussions amongst the Owners and Mods about various issues including bans for the swear filter, where we draw the line with posts, or what WE feel are over the top comments, we have a ZERO tolerance policy for anything we think will offend others. Rather than keep banning people for these issues and being accused of "over the top moding" we are trying our best to strike a balance for all...The fairest way seems to us to be to delete any offending posts. Continual abuse of the swear filter in future will result in a long ban without warning.

We are not taking sides here or trying to stifle any debates amongst Zoners, this is NOT censorship in any form, just a reasonable way to keep harmony on the Zone.

This seems to be a common complaint at the moment, that the Owners/Mods delete posts...After discussions amongst the Owners and Mods about various issues including bans for the swear filter, where we draw the line with posts, or what WE feel are over the top comments, we have a ZERO policy for anything we think will offend others. Rather than keep banning people for these issues and being accused of "over the top moding" we are trying our best to strike a balance for all...The fairest way seems to us to be to delete any offending posts. Continual abuse of the swear filter in future will result in a long ban without warning.

We are not taking sides here or trying to stifle any debates amongst Zoners, this is NOT censorship in any form, just a reasonable way to keep harmony on the Zone.

I recently had a post deleted that was neither offensive or contained swearing. Now I do accept there is a lot of elitism and clickiness on this site and the likes of Bob Greenberg need to make comment about my level of humour or lack of, even though I neither seek nor require his endorsement in order to exist. But hey ho. You want to delete then be my guest but please accept fair criticism from different quarters about some of the moderation/censorship. If you want to censor you should look at a lot of the personal attacks made in replies that are smug, superior, offensive and hardly enhance the reasons for having a fans site. United?

Half of football is banter and therefore no posts should be deleted.

I think the mods love their little bit of power and they gotta get it somewhere, I think some people will do anything for a bit of green rep, some people will agree with anything, and I think some people will disagree with others no matter what they say but that just makes a forum interesting.

I think the mods love their little bit of power and they gotta get it somewhere, I think some people will do anything for a bit of green rep, some people will agree with anything, and I think some people will disagree with others no matter what they say but that just makes a forum interesting.

I don't think it's generally the mods exercising their arms in these circumstances, it is the owners, and as has been said before, it's their forum so if anyone doesn't like it, then it's been made quite clear what their options are - put up or shut up in simple terms.

Generally any form of exchange is fine, in my experience, as long as it isn't offensive or constitutes a case for libel - keep within that basic ruling and you're fine. However.......... as I also know only too well ;) there are times when a little smidgeon of thread diversion can be frowned upon :darkcloud:and as BLUEBLOOD, Aberdeen, MK and others - including me :O can tell, some posts do get deleted if they are deemed "inappropriate". It's the owners prerogative, whilst you may not always agree, it's that simple.

Last edited:

I'm sorry but you are wrong, and it isn't a question about having a little bit of power. For your guidance posts which are potentially libelous have to be removed, as do those which constitute abuse and racism etc. Such posts cannot in any way be described as banter.

It's been said before that SZ has a very diverse membership and it would be very sterile if all Zoners held the same view, if this were the case I doubt if the board would exist.

However as in most walks of life there have to be rules that we all abide by.

I'm sorry but you are wrong, and it isn't a question about having a little bit of power. For your guidance posts which are potentially libelous have to be removed, as do those which constitute abuse and racism etc. Such posts cannot in any way be described as banter.

It's been said before that SZ has a very diverse membership and it would be very sterile if all Zoners held the same view, if this were the case I doubt if the board would exist.

However as in most walks of life there have to be rules that we all abide by.

Cool cool :)

Do you not find it really ironic that McNasty deleted this, a post of his from Theshrimpers-online on the same day, purely because it wasn't in line with his argument!!

--
Re: Should there be a speakers corner forum
by mcnasty » Yesterday, 18:44

People should be able to post anything within the bounds of decency and not libellous. This should spark debate, however sometimes personal feelings don't allow this to happen and some posters can attack others just for posting. The main problem I have found is that some people do not respect others and it will lead to arguments, personal abuse and stupid comments being made. The moderators try to keep the peace and sometimes the only way out is to ban people.

Free speech is a wonderful thing but nowadays there seems to be a great deal of political correctness denying this.
--

How long till this gets deleted? :zip:

Perhaps you should also have a glance at samples of the rep that is lleft on here, some of which can certainly be described as insulting and offensive.

Last edited:
Would the board be a better or worse place without the "rep" facility? Discuss.

Personally, it does nothing for me.

Would the board be a better or worse place without the "rep" facility? Discuss.

Personally, it does nothing for me.

Great call. Have some green.

It's unfortunate that everything we do in life these days is watched over and controlled by others and that everywhere feels the need to implement rules and regulations "just in case". Things are only going to get worse I feel with more technology.

If ever I want a giggle I look at the cretins comlaining about red rep in Bobby Greenbergs profile

Do you not find it really ironic that McNasty deleted this, a post of his from Theshrimpers-online on the same day, purely because it wasn't in line with his argument!!

--
Re: Should there be a speakers corner forum
by mcnasty » Yesterday, 18:44

People should be able to post anything within the bounds of decency and not libellous. This should spark debate, however sometimes personal feelings don't allow this to happen and some posters can attack others just for posting. The main problem I have found is that some people do not respect others and it will lead to arguments, personal abuse and stupid comments being made. The moderators try to keep the peace and sometimes the only way out is to ban people.

Free speech is a wonderful thing but nowadays there seems to be a great deal of political correctness denying this.
--

How long till this gets deleted? :zip:

Firstly , If you knew me you would realise irony is very high on my agenda.

Secondly I will defend anyone's right to free speech even if they spout drivel, however the topic regarding the lad being mugged as I has previously stated was being monitored and all posts deemed insulting, irrelevant, pathetic and negative were being deleted as we don't want the Echo, if and when they read it, to judge all Zoners on some of the ridiculous posts on a very serious thread. If people cannot be serious for one thread and abide by our wishes then perhaps they should not continue as members. I don't think that that is too much to ask, do you ?

Firstly , If you knew me you would realise irony is very high on my agenda.

Secondly I will defend anyone's right to free speech even if they spout drivel, however the topic regarding the lad being mugged as I has previously stated was being monitored and all posts deemed insulting, irrelevant, pathetic and negative were being deleted as we don't want the Echo, if and when they read it, to judge all Zoners on some of the ridiculous posts on a very serious thread. If people cannot be serious for one thread and abide by our wishes then perhaps they should not continue as members. I don't think that that is too much to ask, do you ?
Fair enough, and as said before (although it got deleted for some reason) I genuinly hope the boys bruise gets better and that the nasty youths that did this get a telling off from the police.

Back