• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Three and a half years!?! He’s 30 already! Should have been an 18 month extension and thought himself lucky. This is a poor bit of business imo

Three and a half years!?! He’s 30 already! Should have been an 18 month extension and thought himself lucky. This is a poor bit of business imo

Yep, he's far too young for us, should have waited another three years then signed him on a three and a half year deal

Pleased to see him stay on another year, 3 seems a bit excessive though. I suppose the offer of job security probably means we got him to agree to lower wages than he might otherwise have wanted.

I'm pleased to read this, I really am, and think he adds value to the squad.

But without wanting to put a downer on it, do we really need to sign up another current 30 year old squad member for a minimum of another 3.5 years? (with an option of a further year).

I would have preferred Ron to have offered him perhaps a maximum of a 2 year contract. Who knows, perhaps he did and he turned it down? or perhaps we got him on the cheap in exchange for his job security.

LOL.

It seems we are all pretty much thinking along the same lines.

Oh dear not sure about this, I don't particularly rate him as a defender and the length of contract seems excessive. Perhaps we can sign a better right back and play him right mid.

When will they ever learn? Demetriou is a depreciating asset and in three years time will be worthless, regardless of his current value to the side. And what a depressing message to Elvis that his opportunities will be severely limited for the next three years. It seems we would rather discourage or even lose a promising youngster for the sake of hanging on to another veteran at any price.

Demetriou signs new deal at Blues

JASON Demetriou has signed a three and a half year contract to extend his stay at Southend United.

More...

To be fair I don't think we will lose much money on him really for the next few seasons, as others have said prior in other threads, he is a decent right back and has the added bonus that he can be utilised to get forward (if need be).

Obviously guessing, but what this tells me though, is that the writing is on the wall for John White, who will be 32 before next season starts (with no current re-renewal in place).

In that context, we have held on to a slightly younger player, with slightly better past league experience. (after all, Demi will still be 30, almost this time next year).

However, It still doesn't justify the length of contract offered to him in my eyes though... Maybe Ron has given up promotion this season, and is preparing for a relegation battle next season, so he needs a quality League 2 defender to hold his own against Luton Town. :unsure:

Decent player. I've actually enjoyed seeing him play further forward recently and wonder if he could play Leonard's position if required. Like everyone else I'm surprised we're giving 3.5 year deals to 30 year olds but take from that that the chairman must be very much behind his current manager - or he wouldn't let him tie people in.

Like everyone else I'm surprised we're giving 3.5 year deals to 30 year olds but take from that that the chairman must be very much behind his current manager - or he wouldn't let him tie people in.

It either means Brown is going to get another three years offered or whoever is going to repalce him is going to be left with a lot of over 30s on long contracts .

Without wanting to be going off topic.

But RE: Brown's contract, I said a while ago, that it was just a matter of "dotting the i's and crossing the t's". I wouldn't be surprised to see just a year extension on he's contract (but I honestly don't see much beyond that, if he doesn't deliver a top 7 or 8 finsh by the end of next season).

Back on topic, overall i'm pleased we've got Demi for next season, I think both him and the youngsters can hold their own at this level & they will get some more game time as they have done so far this season. Beyond that though, who knows?

To be fair if we're giving Theo Robinson a 3 year deal in August then Demetriou should be a bit offended to only get 3 and a half in December.

I am wondering whether the new contract extension for Jason Demetriou is related to Ryan Leonard's possible departure in January. Both Leonard and Demetriou are regarded as amongst the fittest athletes on staff, and perhaps Demetriou is being lined up to take-over Leonard's all-action mid-field role. Interestingly, Leonard was originally a full-back but was switched into a mid-field role by Paul Sturrock.

Although Theo is crap, to be fair Theo is only 28 though. Demi is 30....So I guess it kinda balances it all out.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't have given that contract extension to Robinson, also let MAF go at the end of the season. and risk their wages on another 2 lower league strikers. Also offer Cox another year contract.

Back