• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would be great to see a legends match v current squad, love to see Cusack, Banks, Spence, Mercer etc v current XI

If a player deserves the status of legend Alan Moody is definitely on the front row grid, in a day gone by when players were treated shabbily after playing

Absolutely London Blue. I cannot think of a more deserved benefit to kick off the new season. Perhaps the club could contact Middlesbrough FC. What a turn out Alan would receive.

I do not think you would get much of a gate against Middllesbrough , if I recall Alan played against Man United and mark Geogie Best , I know it would be a long shot but that is the team that would get the supporters through the turnstyles and put a few bob in Alans pocket .

I do not think you would get much of a gate against Middllesbrough , if I recall Alan played against Man United and mark Geogie Best , I know it would be a long shot but that is the team that would get the supporters through the turnstyles and put a few bob in Alans pocket .

Hate to say it SOS, West Ham would be the game to bring a full house, but if it benefits AM then all well and good, can imagine the club have many requests, but surely in this case, some of the profits from a friendly against W Ham could be arranged to go to him

Sadly only a few people on the club board will remember him and (probably only a few oldies on here), but hopefully one or two could have a word in RM ear
Today younger fans put players like Collymore /Eastwood on legend status, when in fact they barely scrap the surface when the players from 60,70 and 80's are named. Not a rant at modern players, but their future should be assured with careful planning with agents/ advisors etc

UTS

I messaged Mr Martin today. Would be great if others backed it up.
Alan Moody gave his best years to Southend United and for nothing like the financial return current players receive.
Maybe..just maybe we could return the gesture.
That is what real SUPPORT is about.

players at our level are hardly living it large.

.... and rightly so.

There are plenty of players "at our level" who are very fortunate indeed to be earning even a reasonable living playing a game they are unexceptional at. Half the Bury side for starters.

Hate to say it SOS, West Ham would be the game to bring a full house, but if it benefits AM then all well and good, can imagine the club have many requests, but surely in this case, some of the profits from a friendly against W Ham could be arranged to go to him

Sadly only a few people on the club board will remember him and (probably only a few oldies on here), but hopefully one or two could have a word in RM ear
Today younger fans put players like Collymore /Eastwood on legend status, when in fact they barely scrap the surface when the players from 60,70 and 80's are named. Not a rant at modern players, but their future should be assured with careful planning with agents/ advisors etc

UTS

I am sure that Alan had a testimonial against West Ham in 83 ,I think the gate was about 6,000 . Alan deserves another one , you would have to be a pretty hard hearted top club not to send a team to help him out .

Today younger fans put players like Collymore /Eastwood on legend status

That'll be because Stan was good enough to play for England and for Liverpool to break the British transfer record for.

I'm sure Moody was very good (he was before my time but from what I've read I'd probably rank him in the top 10 of all time Southend players), but objectively he doesn't come close to Stan. It's closer when comparing him to Freddy and yes he was part of a side that won a 4th division title but Freddy won a 3rd division title and then scored goals in the second tier of English football. It's no disgrace to be ranked below those two and I'd still happily support an Alan Moody testimonial.

I am sure that Alan had a testimonial against West Ham in 83 ,I think the gate was about 6,000 . Alan deserves another one , you would have to be a pretty hard hearted top club not to send a team to help him out .
Correct.

MQ6ZGU.jpg
XHY7h7.jpg

I messaged Mr Martin today. Would be great if others backed it up.
Alan Moody gave his best years to Southend United and for nothing like the financial return current players receive.
Maybe..just maybe we could return the gesture.
That is what real SUPPORT is about.

Kevin keep us informed as I am sure we could work together to support Alan.

Kevin keep us informed as I am sure we could work together to support Alan.

The Chairman has replied to my message. He has passed the message on to others and will come back to me in due course.
Mr Martin said that he had heard of Alan's challenges, knew little of the history and is happy to help in some way.

I have private messaged Alan's daughter via SZ.
I am aware that I/we have rather taken it on without consulting Alan or his family.
Just treading with caution and would like to know their view - which is of course paramount.

I have private messaged Alan's daughter via SZ.
I am aware that I/we have rather taken it on without consulting Alan or his family.
Just treading with caution and would like to know their view - which is of course paramount.

I hope she reads the PM Kevin.

It is early days, hopefully we can help in any way the family would like.

Are you now in Spain permanently ?

Thank you Ken. If there is an opportunity to help Alan then i am certain the SZ family will play a leading role.
Am in a stunning area of Spain for the time being - but "permanently" is daunting as my home and heart is in Southend.

Back