• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Well, quite a day yesterday.

In brief, down A12, in Spread for 9.15 am, meet Derek & Keith at 10, Blues Lounge and various ex player/fellow fan good times, bit of book selling (thanks to all - royalty monies on way to Little Havens later today), the match and all the ups and downs of that, goodbyes to all post match (and promises made to stay in touch - will be helping Derek re his book too), back up A12 to Suffolk, drop off SS Jnr at home, in to monkey suit, back down A12 picking up a mate on way, to gala dinner (big thanks to Mike for that), late eve (some good conversations with folk who want to do more for ex-players especially Alan Moody), back up the A12 one more time, and home some time earlier today.

Derek and Keith truly loved their day, they want to pass on their big thanks to all that came along to meet and greet them and to the fans overall for the warm welcome they got when coming on the pitch. The 'Derek Spence is an international' chant didn't appear to work - the tanoy was blasting out music which muffled crowd noise at the time from where I was in the East - but I told Derek re the plan and he was touched. If you did try then thanks, really appreciated. Derek said that Keith was 'welling up' when on the pitch, I don't think he thought he was so well remembered for his time at Roots.

Some great stories came out in our chats on the day. Keith said that he was a bit annoyed with Smiffy at being a non-playing sub for the last game of the 80/81 promotion winning season, he had pleaded to be put on but was just ignored. So after the match in the changing rooms Keith picked up Smiffy and threw him in the bath - Smiffy thought it was great believing it was all part of the celebrations but in reality Keith was annoyed with him!

These days Keith sells hoses for a living - he didn't earn a fortune from the game and has struggled at times with his health due to injuries in his playing days catching up on him (which forced him to give up when only 27). His right leg is permanently badly swollen and at one stage there was talk of it being amputated. But he remains a cheery chap and is clearly great pals with Derek.

Derek is recently retired from his 20 year stint at Blackpool FC working on community projects - he now does some scouting, is starting to do some after dinner speaking (an event at Roots Hall may be a possibility later in the year) and acts as a bus driver for a local school.

I hadn't told Derek and Keith about meeting up with Frankie Ba5.jpgnks and Ronnie Poutney so when they both turned up the re-union greetings were great to see. We also met Warren May - not of course of the same era but it as ex Shrimpers they all have a common bond.

I hope the club can do more to get in touch and help ex players, I am trying to do something in my own limited way on this but it all needs some commitment (time-wise and financially) from the club, co-ordination (not easy), and a ground-swell of support (which I feel is there). Yesterday was rewarding and wonderful.

A few pics from yesterday, the larger group one shows in back row from left to right me, Nobbler, Keith, Ron, Derek and Bob S, sitting down are Warren and Stalky. The other pics with Derek and Keith have Andy T and Matt with them, and there is one too with Frank. The final one shows Derek and Keith in the East Stand.

15.jpg25.jpg13.jpg19.jpg

UTB

SS

We done for yesterday SS - you must be knackered! Can certainly see your family resemblance (father & son). Great to see our old heroes (especially Ronnie)......Warren May followed us into the Railway. (Gutted we missed you Andy T).

Many thanks for organizing everything, Andrew.

Really very much appreciated.

We done for yesterday SS - you must be knackered! Can certainly see your family resemblance (father & son). Great to see our old heroes (especially Ronnie)......Warren May followed us into the Railway. (Gutted we missed you Andy T).

Apologies, mate.

Did get a text and would have come along, but had to be back for a family Sunday lunch.

Would have been great to catch up with everyone, as well. Sounds like there were definitely a few legends in there.

Ronnie's bald head knocks years off him. In fact all of the chaps look well. Gutted I couldn't make it yesterday, those guys were the reason I fell in love with the club in the first place.

Derek Spence posted this up on Facebook last night:

"Going back to where I won my only proper medal in Professional football was a fantastic experience on Sunday at Roots Hall and to spend the weekend with former teammate Keith Mercer and his lovely wife Michelle was absolutely wonderful, then to meet so many friends and ex players at the match was truly humbling ,the reception that we got on the field really did bring Keith and myself to tears for people to remember us was fantastic after all those years ,you don't get many moments like that when your in your sixties and I doubt if we will ever match that .so massive thanks to all the supporters and people who made it happen thank you all for making two old centre forwards very happy"

If memory serves me right , then Keith Mercer joined us from 2nd Div Watford in 79-80 season, when we were in the 3rd Div. We lost our last match at Hull (?) and were relegated to the 4th Div. I'm sure he commented that he started the season in the 2nd Div & finished it in the 4th!.

Great stuff SS!
Remember Having a little game in the car park and playing alongside these guys with the newly formed Thorpe Invaders.
Thorpe invaders are now in their forties! Great memories of a great side and great guys.:thumbsup:

Great to see them all back at Roots Hall

Derek Spence is an International

[video=youtube;gFQeWkVJhF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFQeWkVJhF8[/video]

Well done on all this.

When I win the lottery and buy the club, I'll ensure that a different legend is introduced to the crowd and the team each home match.

SS..you mention Alan Moody.
We all have our favourite players from whatever era and Spence & Merc are of course included along with Billy Best, Stan Collymore, Freddie Eastwood and countless more legendary Shrimpers.
However, for commitment to the cause, loyalty and achievement - few can match the underrated Alan Moody who represented Southend United more times than any other player in 111 years.
I would love to think the goodwill for Alan could be evolve into unofficial, fan based support (in whatever form appropriate and possible) for 2017/18. When life throws up the enormous and unexpected challenges - how great if people from the past step forward to offer whatever help is possible.
2017/18 season. Backing Alan Moody - Southend United All Time Legend! A Teeside lad who is - One Of Our Own!

We all have our favourite players from whatever era and Spence & Merc are of course included along with Billy Best, Stan Collymore, Freddie Eastwood and countless more legendary Shrimpers.
However, for commitment to the cause, loyalty and achievement - few can match the underrated Alan Moody who represented Southend United more times than any other player in 111 years.
I would love to think the goodwill for Alan could be evolve into unofficial, fan based support (in whatever form appropriate and possible) for 2017/18. When life throws up the enormous and unexpected challenges - how great if people from the past step forward to offer whatever help is possible.
2017/18 season. Backing Alan Moody - Southend United All Time Legend! A Teeside lad who is - One Of Our Own!

If I was nameing my all time favorite Southend team , Alans name would be one of the first names on it .

Surely with everything that has happened to Alan he's entitled to a benefit match of some kind?

Absolutely London Blue. I cannot think of a more deserved benefit to kick off the new season. Perhaps the club could contact Middlesbrough FC. What a turn out Alan would receive.

Back