• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DSC_0369 - Copy.jpg

The great turn out of Shrimpers on Saturday aside, a little positive story from Blackpool for you.

Somehow, over the last 45 years of footie watching, Bloomfield Road had never appeared on my radar. That was corrected this weekend when I made it for my 92nd current league ground. To mark the occasion I arranged a little lads weekender up there, 14 of us travelling up (mostly from Suffolk) for a few beers over a two night stay. Folk I see regularly and not so regularly turned up, including Harvey who I had last seen on leaving Appleton Comp (South Benfleet) in '78 with whom I had gone to my very first matches at Roots Hall with our Dad's back in '71. It was a bit emotional.

In the organisation for it all I contacted Blackpool FC where I set up a pre-match meal in their 1953 Suite (part of the hotel at the ground complex) which incidentally was superb value at £35 a head (netting off the £25 match ticket and £3 prog the meal was only £7). On booking it up I had asked their ticket office manager whether Derek Spence (part of our 80/81 record breaking squad) still worked there - she confirmed he did and said she would pass on my contact details to him.

I didn't think anything would come of it but Derek called me last week, left a voicemail and said he couldn't be at the match (due to attending a wedding in Ireland) but if we were up the night before he'd come and have a beer with us. I called him back, had to leave another voicemail, and said we'd be in the Albert & Lion from 5 pm to 8 pm on the Friday.

Mid-way through our session at the pub Derek turns up, recognises me from my brief description I gave (tall git wearing blue) and comes over. He was a true gent, regailed stories from his 100 game/32 goal spell with us, said he never wanted to leave RH but after an injury Smiffy no longer thought him as being part of his plans, loved the way we used to chant 'Derek Spence is an international', recalled the win at Torquay that got us promotion (though not me helping to chair him off the pitch), told us about how he only these days keeps in touch with Keith Mercer (but that he'd love to meet up with others and come down to RH one day), gave us a potted history of his international days and generally talked about his past and present life (including the current sorry saga of Blackpool). He seemed in his element, fit and well and on top form.

It was great for him to take the time (he'd had a busy day climbing hills on a community kids programme) to come and see folk he didn't know, but he just appreciated our getting in touch and remarked often that he came across old pro's who felt a bit forgotten in the current money-driven world of football. I promised to see what I could do re trying to set up something at RH for players from the 80/81 era (something for next season - not now but I'll be seeking help from SZ's on that another time) and he agreed to write a foreword for a book I intend to publish next month on the 92.

A top man.

UTB

PS pic is of Harvey and me with Derek on Friday

What a great story - I remember those chants, would be great to invite him down to RH next season.

Well done on the 92 too ! Sounds like you had a good craic, just a shame about the result...

View attachment 4011

Mid-way through our session at the pub Derek turns up, recognises me from my brief description I gave (tall git wearing blue) and comes over. He was a true gent, regailed stories from his 100 game/32 goal spell with us, said he never wanted to leave RH but after an injury Smiffy no longer thought him as being part of his plans, loved the way we used to chant 'Derek Spence is an international', recalled the win at Torquay that got us promotion (though not me helping to chair him off the pitch), told us about how he only these days keeps in touch with Keith Mercer (but that he'd love to meet up with others and come down to RH one day), gave us a potted history of his international days and generally talked about his past and present life (including the current sorry saga of Blackpool). He seemed in his element, fit and well and on top form.

Great story Suffolk, it must of made your weekend as I doubt the match did.

Were the many in the pub wearing SUFC badged zipper tops? Or did Derek just get lucky from your description of yourself?

Great story Suffolk, it must of made your weekend as I doubt the match did.

Were the many in the pub wearing SUFC badged zipper tops? Or did Derek just get lucky from your description of yourself?

A bit of both RHB, plus we never stray far from the bar for reasons of beer continuity so was keeping an eye out for a likely person just in case.

Fantastic to see the great Derek Spence took the time out to see you. I was born in 66' and a regular at that age.
What a great age that was to see us win the league. Memories

Sponsored his shorts when he was at Roots Hall and then the week after the season finished he took the time and trouble to deliver them personally to me at my parents home where he spent quite a long while chatting to all of us. He not only was an International he was and clearly still is a top bloke.

Likewise, I sponsored Derek's shirt in that terrific promotion-winning season - still have it in my wardrobe!

Derek was always a "TOP TOP BLOKE" and while he was at Southend United he spent a lot of time raising lots of money for the Nolan Charity Trust. He was one of those players with an infectious spirit which really helped the team to gain promotion at the first attempt after relegation in 1980. He was an integral part of a really good team which was managed by Dave Smith. I believe his last visit to Roots Hall was when the 1980-81 promotion side played in Ron Pountney's testimonial in around 2000/1?. Derek gave me his No.9 shirt in the tunnel after we had clinched the 4th.Division Championship against Rochdale in a 1-1 in the final league match of the 1980-81 season, he also gave me his shirt from the previous weeks final away league match at Torquay(won 3-0). I was also lucky enough earlier that season to travel to Hampden Park with my good friend Russ Ralph (RIP) to see Derek play in the World Cup Qualifier against Scotland in a 1-1 draw when he replaced Billy Hamilton with about 15 minutes to go, a couple of days later Derek gave me his match worn No.16 shirt from the match, these shirts I still treasure to this day. Sadly for Derek, although he helped the team qualify for the World Cup Finals in Spain 1982, he was left out of the final squad his place being taken by the unknown Norman Whiteside(whatever happened to him) and I am not sure that Derek ever got over that disappointment. Would be great to see him back at Roots Hall next season, maybe when/if Blackpool stay up. Just reading the above with him meeting you guys last Friday tells you everything you need to know about Derek"Spanner"Spence and that song we sang about him at the time. "Lovely Man" and a "Great Guy" who was always very generous with his time while at the club.

Derek was always a "TOP TOP BLOKE" and while he was at Southend United he spent a lot of time raising lots of money for the Nolan Charity Trust. He was one of those players with an infectious spirit which really helped the team to gain promotion at the first attempt after relegation in 1980. He was an integral part of a really good team which was managed by Dave Smith. I believe his last visit to Roots Hall was when the 1980-81 promotion side played in Ron Pountney's testimonial in around 2000/1?. Derek gave me his No.9 shirt in the tunnel after we had clinched the 4th.Division Championship against Rochdale in a 1-1 in the final league match of the 1980-81 season, he also gave me his shirt from the previous weeks final away league match at Torquay(won 3-0). I was also lucky enough earlier that season to travel to Hampden Park with my good friend Russ Ralph (RIP) to see Derek play in the World Cup Qualifier against Scotland in a 1-1 draw when he replaced Billy Hamilton with about 15 minutes to go, a couple of days later Derek gave me his match worn No.16 shirt from the match, these shirts I still treasure to this day. Sadly for Derek, although he helped the team qualify for the World Cup Finals in Spain 1982, he was left out of the final squad his place being taken by the unknown Norman Whiteside(whatever happened to him) and I am not sure that Derek ever got over that disappointment. Would be great to see him back at Roots Hall next season, maybe when/if Blackpool stay up. Just reading the above with him meeting you guys last Friday tells you everything you need to know about Derek"Spanner"Spence and that song we sang about him at the time. "Lovely Man" and a "Great Guy" who was always very generous with his time while at the club.

Good stuff BB - he mentioned on Fri missing out on Spain 82 and certainly remains sad about that. He was very keen to come to RH again and meet up folk from his time there so maybe your shirt(s) (one of which per above I helped chair off at Torquay!) will get another airing when he does. Again per my post I'll b looking to set something up (with help) so news etc to follow re that nearer the time. When my book is published in next month or so you can read his Foreword (shameless early plug re that!!).

Great stuff well remember chanting 'Derek Spence is an International' it was massive for a club like Southend to having an International player playing for us. Would be nice if a reunion of the 1980-81 squad. They are all still alive as far as I'm aware and Dave Smith the manager is very much alive and in good health

Met him in "Fannys",above the shrimpers club once.After a game.I was with Steve Waller...i said to D.S,what a great player he was,but there is only one thing wrong with him,he asked what was that..i replied "he should be English"..he smiled and took it the way it was ment,,...a poor joke!!!

Would be nice if Derek Spence could see all the nice things being said about him on this thread.

Yep and I have already told him about the responses, especially that one of us still has three of his shirts! He was well chuffed. Am definitely going to pull out all the stops to get him (and hopefully some others of the 80/81 team) down to RH next season (before Xmas) - Derek is up for it and it seems that many of you would be interested too. A bit too late to sort this season, and anyway focus now is finalising my book! Cheers, SS

Back