• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dervite and Robinson in L1 Squad of the Season

roycole

Dorian Dervite and Theo Robinson have been selected in Playerform's League One Squad of the Season.

Goalkeepers

David Martin (Leicester City), Willy Gueret (MK Dons), Owain Fon Williams (Stockport County)

Full Backs

Andrew Whing (Brighton and Hove Albion), Marc Tierney (Colchester United), Dean Lewington (MK Dons),
Johnny Mullins (Stockport County)

Centre Backs

Richard Naylor (Leeds United), Aleksandar Tunchev (Leicester City), Tamika Mkandawire (Leyton Orient),
Zak Whitbread (Millwall), Dorian Dervite (Southend United)

Central Midfielders

Stuart Campbell (Bristol Rovers), Fabian Delph (Leeds United), Sean Thornton (Leyton Orient),
Stephen Gleeson (MK Dons), Peter Leven (MK Dons)

Wide Midfielders

Robert Snodgrass (Leeds United), Anthony Pilkington (Huddersfield Town), Luke Chadwick (MK Dons),
George Boyd (Peterborough United)

Forwards
Jermaine Beckford (Leeds United), Steve Howard (Leicester City), Gary Hooper (Scunthorpe United),
Theo Robinson (Southend United), Simon Cox (Swindon Town)

Analysis has been released to accompany the Squad of the Season selections and the players who just missed out.

http://www.playerform.co.uk/analysis/sos-review

Source: www.playerform.co.uk

Congratulations to them both. It is slightly worrying though when our best players are generally deemed to be our loanees.

I think it's been a great season given the financial input, lull of being in League 1 for a couple of years and period of change on the pitch. But I fear Tilly may have to do it all over again in the Summer months...

Congratulations to them both. It is slightly worrying though when our best players are generally deemed to be our loanees.
One could argue that if the loanees are not better than what you've already got then there's no point bringing them in, so they usually should be your best players.

Looking at who we've had, Robinson, Sawyer, Federici, Harding and Stanislas have all played at a higher level this season and Dervitte is clearly a class above.

I think it's been a great season given the financial input, lull of being in League 1 for a couple of years and period of change on the pitch. But I fear Tilly may have to do it all over again in the Summer months...

Keeps us on our toes though - no one can argue that the past 6 years or so have not been the most exciting time in our history. I believe next season we must use a mix of youth and experience. I think if we could get Theo, Sawyer, a new centre back and a winger we will have the makings of a team that will be challenging for at least a play-off place.

It's good, shows we've attracted quality loanees, so well done to them. Slightly concerned to see the peroxide pillock in there for the CMs though.

From the website

Dorian Dervite (Southend United) is another who has only spent half a season in League One but he has looked a tremendous long term prospect at Roots Hall and his parent club Tottenham Hotspur are likely to want to see the French youngster gain more experience so another loan move to a club at a higher level is likely to be on the agenda next term. Dervite is a very assured performer and his presence has certainly brought about a distinct improvement in the performances of centre back partner Peter Clarke who has looked a different player in the closing months of the season to the one who struggled prior to Christmas.

Two other forwards at contrasting stages of their career who deserve recognition for their performances this season are Joel Porter (Hartlepool United) and Theo Robinson (Southend United). Without the goals of the hard working Australian, Hartlepool would almost certainly be planning for life in League Two next season and with him set to returns down under to try and win a place in his countries World Cup squad he will prove difficult to replace given the North East side’s limited resources. Robinson had previously impressed for Hereford last season and the Watford youngster has enhanced his reputation with a series of impressive displays since moving to Roots Hall after the turn of the year. If Robinson finds himself surplus to requirements at Vicarage Road he will have plenty of options available to him though Steve Tillson may already be in pole position to secure his services and he is sure to have already begun using his powers of persuasion to convince Robinson that he will build a side capable of challenging for promotion in 2009/10.

It's good, shows we've attracted quality loanees, so well done to them. Slightly concerned to see the peroxide pillock in there for the CMs though.

If you are talking about Sean Thornton, let me tell you this:

My work colleague is an O's fan. First half of the season he hated Thornton and was glad to see the back of him when loaned to Shrewsbury. But since being called back and playing under Geraint Williams, my mate can't say a bad word about him, he has led the run of good form that has kept the O's up and given us a couple more local derbies next year.

Incidentally, I tried having a bet with my mate at the start of the season as to who would finish higher in the table. The lower finisher pays the higher finisher the difference, pounds for points, but he was having none of it.

Some fans just have no faith in their team.

Not at all. The main point of loaning players in is to bring in the quality of player a club like our's would not normally be able to attract. They should be our better players by that very definition.

Rather than be concerned, I think we should be happy that our management have used the loan market to good effect.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Theo has done well over less than half a season but Fryatt and Lambert have done it over the whole season!

I believe this is a squad of players that weren't selected for Team of the Season (best of the rest if you like) though i'm not certain of that

The announcement of Playerform’s Squads of the Season has created much debate amongst football fans. Whenever ‘representative’ sides like this are selected there will be players who are ‘unlucky’ and just miss out. Unfortunately there has to be a cut off point and not every player who has played well this season can be included.

Matty Fryatt and Rickie Lambert are the notable omissions from the League One Squad. There is no doubt that they have had impressive seasons in front of goal and in a ‘normal year’ one or both are sure to have been included in the squad. 2008/09 has been far from a normal year with no fewer than seven players scoring more than twenty league goals therefore there were plenty of contenders to spearhead the attack. We deemed that the overall contribution and influence of Jermaine Beckford, Gary Hooper and Simon Cox for their respective teams gave them a slight edge over Fryatt and Lambert who have both not been as effective in the second half of the season after flying starts to the campaign. Fryatt’s strike partner Steve Howard was selected as the squads targetman as, along with Millwall’s Gary Alexander, he been the best leader of the line in the division.

Theo Robinson was our ‘Theo Walcott wild card’ selection judged on the potential he has shown since moving to Roots Hall in January. Before Robinson and Dorian Dervite arrived in January, Southend having lost all their loan stars were in freefall and Playerform were predicting they could potentially get dragged into a relegation battle. Consequently they have done remarkably well to reach the outer fringes of the plays offs and there is little doubt that Robinson and Dervite have provided the catalyst for the Shrimpers impressive form in the second half of the season. Sean Thornton was another ‘controversial’ selection but without their revitalised enigma providing much needed creativity in midfield the O’s would almost certainly be planning for life in the basement division of English football next season.

Finally the lack of Peterborough players in the squad is no reflection on their season they have been very well organised by Darren Ferguson who timed his promotion challenge to perfection as other teams failed to last the pace. Peterborough have proven to be a very resilient side which is emphasised by the amount of games they managed to win by the odd goal in the closing months of the season. Their star performers this season have been George Boyd and Craig Mackail-Smith while Charlie Lee has become increasingly influential since the turn of the year. Like Fryatt and Lambert, Mackail-Smith would have usually been an automatic selection in a normal year while utility man Lee also faced stiff competition in the positions (centre back and left back) where he has featured most during his good run of form.

One thing is for sure if the Squad of the Season is as difficult to select this time next year, League One fans are in for a treat in 2009/10.

Back