• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Diabetes

After the newspaper article and the few posts after the Ben thread was re-hashed i thought we could do a thread on the the sugar rush of a diease.
so post if you have it type one or two(just for barna) and tell us your stories good or bad and hopefully we may be able to help any new converts or even any long term ones like me.
I will post my long and boring story later as i have to pick up my son from college as its half days wenesdays here.

Step son has type 1 -generally deals ok with it, but he has severe insomnia thanks to it.

I realise it is a serious subject but I wnet to see a stand up comedy show yrs ago and there was a great bit on diabeties that really made me laugh.
the guy was saying how when he was young and his uncle was diabetic and when he took a turn someone gave him chocolate, and at the time it seemed like a brilliant disease and he actually wanted to be diabetic. He then went on to say how great it would be be if all diseases could be treated like that. He listed loads of diseases and their chocolate treatment, unfortunatley I can't remember them the only one I can rememeber is "got eczema, have a flake"

I realise it is a serious subject but I wnet to see a stand up comedy show yrs ago and there was a great bit on diabeties that really made me laugh.
the guy was saying how when he was young and his uncle was diabetic and when he took a turn someone gave him chocolate, and at the time it seemed like a brilliant disease and he actually wanted to be diabetic. He then went on to say how great it would be be if all diseases could be treated like that. He listed loads of diseases and their chocolate treatment, unfortunatley I can't remember them the only one I can rememeber is "got eczema, have a flake"

A girl at my primary school was diabetic and used to eat a bag of beef crisps each morning in lessons.

Everyone was jealous at the time.

A couple of weeks ago I popped into on of those NHS walk in health check caravans in the High street.

By the end of the tests they were nigh on measuring me up ! Excluding the too high BMI, Blood pressure and Cholesterol which I sort of expected, they threw in High blood sugar and told me to get to my GP urgently.

The GP didn't really help matters by sending me for an emergency blood test and muttering "too young " whilst shaking his head and tutting .

Anyway , it appears that I may be diabetic but I have got to have another test to confirm.

Having looked it all up now, there does appear to be a number of signs

Always Tired tick
Thirsty tick
Visiting the kharzi a lot Tick
skin tags tick

I am hoping that its not too serious, rather more a case of my body being unable to cope with the large amount of cake I eat , so hopefully cancelling the Mr Kiplings season ticket will do the trick

I have type two diabetes, had it for two years now. My GP reckons that some of the medication that I take for heart related issues may have accelerated it. When first diagnosed, I did the 'diet' only approach, plenty of vegetables that sort of thing. That sort of worked, and a cut back on wine drinking to one glass per evening meal at weekends only has helped as well. Cut back on cakes, chocolate and a host of other sweet things is also useful. But.........after doing all of that sort of stuff I still now need to take medication, metformin, which is the entry level drug for trainee type 2 diabetics.

An area that maybe you don't want to think about is that weight loss helps a lot. I am in the process of loosing weight and it does make you feel better on the tiredness front. An area I had never considered is the effect diabetes can have on your dental health. At my last check up my dentist reckoned that I needed root canal and crown work, but she was worried that my diabetes may make the recovery period more difficult as it can effect your gums etc and you take longer to heal.

I also have to have an annual eye check to ensure the back of the eye is not being damaged by diabetes. And you also have the delight of a annual check by the diabetes nurse who tickles your feet and takes their pulse to make sure they haven't dropped off!

Moral of all this? Watch your weight, eat as healthy a diet as you can stomach, drink in moderation and don't smoke. Most importantly, don't ignore the symptoms, or if you do, be prepared for **** to happen in your medical life.

Have been type 2 for some years, controlled by metformin. Fortunately don't have high blood pressure to date and have low cholesterol. I was diagnosed before a minor opportunity which I was having privately through my wife's firm's insurance. I was referred to a consultant and continued to see him. When I went to my GPs a while later (which you have to for a medication review each year) he was really snotty and wanted to put me on statins and ace inhibitors as it was "practice policy". I asked the consultant who basically said "I treat you as an individual".

So beware pill happy GPs , they seem to increasingly just follow a script. Exercise and weight seem to be very important for me, I lost half a stone and my sugar reduced 20% in 6 months (weight is my problem caused by booze).

When i was 33 i went into Southend general to have my tonsils ripped out by a local witch doctor and in my pre-op the drugged up soak of a nurse(a chap who who come away on builders bus) did a urine test and then asked how long i had been a diabetic to which of course i replied IM NOT,well with a level of 18 it turned out i was now.
So off i go in the life of a diabetic as in not listening to the doctors and nurses who are trained to help mugs like me,i say mugs but of course i mean more idiot then mug,because i a mere builder know better then seasoned pros but then which builder does not know better than the rest of the world.
I do not like alchol but i like eating chocolate and all the stuff i should not so i do not hold back on my eating habbits and the wieght go on,am i ever ill on this diet well no because i over compensate on the insulin because im clever me.The pens i used would go up to 60 units with normal diabetics injecting between 2 to 10 units but i did between 60 to 90 units 3 times a day of fast acting and about 90 units of long acting twice a day,i once saw an old as in 70 odd years old who told me that he had never met some one on such high doseage which made me feel special.
So life goes on for years always running high because im scared of having a hypo until i move to France and after 3 years of having a rubbish doctor i move to a modern surgery and my lovely doctor put me in hospital for six days where they got my levels normal for the first time ever and as such saved i life or at least gave me longer to spend with my kids.
So after years of self abuse did i get away with all the high living and sugar eating,alas no i have paid a high price but of course its all self inflicted so only one person to blame here and thats me.
To date due to me being a fecking idiot i have lost the use of my old chap( it works in bits but not a whole lot) which as a high sex drive type person was the hardest(snigger)thing to deal with,dont get me wrong you can still orgasm but its just not the same with a floppy.Next time he is called into service treat your old chap with respect because you will miss him if he leaves you.
Next to breakdown were my old friend bollock one and bollock two,not break down as such as they still work but my jizz no longer sees the light of day as at orgasm it shoots into my bladder and nothing comes out of my japs eye,so if i want to get Mrs Berrichonne preggers then i have to come and then wee up her all with my floppy and i dint think that will work but with five children im ok with that.
So alls not too bad but then you add in the 16 lazer ops on my eyes to stop them leaking which hurt a fair bit and the toes slowly turning black which i know will be coming off in the next three to five years and the countless times ive had an itch on the top of my foot and ive scrtched down to near the bone and not felt a thing,twice its only taken over two months to heal but at least i kept my foot.
And then if you throw into the mix the mood swings and depression it all makes for much fun with my last bout only lasting a mere nine months but again at least i got through it intact.
At times i wish i was normal like most of you but the bottom line is it was all avoidable and it was/is all my own fault as i did not know better and the doctors and nurses were right.
So type one or two if you have it then own it,live with it,sort it and dont throw the things you have away,if you have type two then you cab cure it and get off the meds,i cant cure you the doctors cant cure you but YOU can by diet alone.
If you have type one then look after yourself and dont be an idiot like i am,if this thread helps just one person then making myself look like a plum has been well worth it,life is tough stay frosty out there.
Tony

So type one or two if you have it then own it,live with it,sort it and dont throw the things you have away,if you have type two then you cab cure it and get off the meds,i cant cure you the doctors cant cure you but YOU can by diet alone.
If you have type one then look after yourself and dont be an idiot like i am,if this thread helps just one person then making myself look like a plum has been well worth it,life is tough stay frosty out there.
Tony

Ah bless you Tony, I really hope your cautionary tale helps others. You do know there are pumps now that can be implanted to give you an erection? Friend of mine (honest!), her fella has one, she does the pumping up and they get on fine as the erection lasts for hours, or as long as you want it too. It's obviously not the same but it does seem to keep them both happy.

Ah bless you Tony, I really hope your cautionary tale helps others. You do know there are pumps now that can be implanted to give you an erection? Friend of mine (honest!), her fella has one, she does the pumping up and they get on fine as the erection lasts for hours, or as long as you want it too. It's obviously not the same but it does seem to keep them both happy.

Yes indeed i do but as with the willy tablets which are free in the UK but cost up to sixty euros here the pump is about six grand.

Back