• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

superblue24

Director
Sorry if this has already been posted, but is this real?!?!??!

Is it another BBC error?

I don't care if you have 8 players on the pitch, this is NOT good enough!! Sort it Sturrock!

Stats.jpg

Is it another BBC error?

I don't care if you have 8 players on the pitch, this is NOT good enough!! Sort it Sturrock!

View attachment 1881

Indeed when you are 10 men down away from home you should dominate games. Bit like Cheltenham did last season when we beat them 4-0.

It is possible to grind out a result when you get down to 10 men but then you are relying on catching them on the break, to do it for nearly 70 minutes against a good side like Oxford its hardly surprising we were under the cosh.

Disappointing maybe not to have created a couple of chances, but diabolical ? Really?

Hardly diabolical. We could lose to Oxford United, 2-0, with eleven men. Sometimes you lose.

We must however, get out of the habit of losing.

Is it another BBC error?

View attachment 1881

I assume you weren't there last night - otherwise you wouldn't be posting nonsense like this!

The reality is we went down to 10 men very early (due to poor refereeing IMHO), away from home against a decent side. The 10-men that were left worked really hard and stayed organised to contain Oxford, but mounting attacks was not easy. Saying that, had we had a few breaks of the ball we might well have scored.

It certainly was not diabolical, disappointing yes, but not diabolical or disastrous!

I think everyone should calm down. It's a very long season. We could and should have won the first game, and was undone by a poor ref last night, just as we were on top. When we have our full squad all fully fit, especially the strikers, then I feel their is enough quality to go on one of our famous unbeaten runs. The key to all this will probably be Corr and Eastwood. Get those two fit and firing and the goals and confidence will flow.

I assume you weren't there last night - otherwise you wouldn't be posting nonsense like this!

The reality is we went down to 10 men very early (due to poor refereeing IMHO), away from home against a decent side. The 10-men that were left worked really hard and stayed organised to contain Oxford, but mounting attacks was not easy. Saying that, had we had a few breaks of the ball we might well have scored.

It certainly was not diabolical, disappointing yes, but not diabolical or disastrous!

Point is that Timlin should have the experience to be a little more careful when on a yellow from the 20th minute. Bad refereeing or not, players should always be prepared for refs to get decisions wrong and send them off so should exercise a bit of caution imo.

Accrington managed to score an equalizer against us last year at RH just after they went down to ten men. I don't think the stats I've shown are defensible....Unless we had 8 men.

Or are you saying that Oxford (who finished outside of the play-offs last year) are simply better than us anyway and we're looking at mid-table at best this season?

Point is that Timlin should have the experience to be a little more careful when on a yellow from the 20th minute. Bad refereeing or not, players should always be prepared for refs to get decisions wrong and send them off so should exercise a bit of caution imo.

Accrington managed to score an equalizer against us last year at RH just after they went down to ten men. I don't think the stats I've shown are defensible....Unless we had 8 men.

Of course its possible to nick a goal with 10 men, however Accrington only played 10 minutes with 10 men. The nicked a goal against the run of play from a set piece.

Shrewsbury beat us with 10 men (albeit at home).

That doesnt however mean that a team with 10 men should be expecting to create hatfuls of chances. Id certainly have liked us to get a few corners or something but if you were playing 10 men you would expect to dominate.

Or are you saying that Oxford (who finished outside of the play-offs last year) are simply better than us anyway and we're looking at mid-table at best this season?

Oxford are a good side and they are certainly better than us at home with more players on the pitch.

Whether we will finish midtable at best will be judged over more games than one where we didnt have a full team...

Not sure that I am bothered too much about the statistics - aren't they more for the Sky TV armchair supporters?

If (and it is a very big if) Tomlin had managed a shot and goal when through onto the last defender, then you could taken your statistics and eaten them on toast as we sat back and defended a slim lead. :zzzzz::zzzzz::zzzzz:

This. When you're the big shoulders in midfield, putting in a stupid tackle to get a deserved yellow card (the first one) after 20 minutes is frankly irresponsible and it leaves you open to getting sent off. Whether he deserved his second or not (tripping someone from behind is pretty stupid, especially when on a yellow), you're on a tightrope in an away game where getting points is vital for morale.

If you still think that losing a man to a red card is harsh for what Timlin did, don't have a go at the ref, have a go at the rules of the game. The ref only applied them correctly. If we had a sin bin then Timlin would only have been off for a few minutes, and we'd have won then, wouldn't we? (:whistling:)

Mounting attacks should not be that difficult. It's only one man difference. If you use the full pitch the extra man hardly notices, because football is such a slow game.

This. When you're the big shoulders in midfield, putting in a stupid tackle to get a deserved yellow card (the first one) after 20 minutes is frankly irresponsible and it leaves you open to getting sent off. Whether he deserved his second or not (tripping someone from behind is pretty stupid, especially when on a yellow), you're on a tightrope in an away game where getting points is vital for morale.

If you still think that losing a man to a red card is harsh for what Timlin did, don't have a go at the ref, have a go at the rules of the game. The ref only applied them correctly. If we had a sin bin then Timlin would only have been off for a few minutes, and we'd have won then, wouldn't we? (:whistling:)

Mounting attacks should not be that difficult. It's only one man difference. If you use the full pitch the extra man hardly notices, because football is such a slow game.

Slow game ? are you watching in Italy or something because that doesnt sound like League Two ?
:smile:

Compared to hockey, which I play and umpire, football is painstakingly slow, yes. Even League 2. But in hockey, even though you can't score a goal from further out than 14 yards, teams with only 10 players on the pitch regularly score goals. Why? Cos they move the ball intelligently and quickly.

Our boys are supposed to be professional sportsmen, yet they can't work out how to move the ball on quickly and accurately enough.

I think I read that this is Timlin's first red card in five years.

Maybe he made a rare mistake, maybe it was a slightly less rare refereeing mistake?

Oxford were considered to be the second most impressive team we faced last season. I'd expect them to be better than us at home with a man advantage.

Compared to hockey, which I play and umpire, football is painstakingly slow, yes. Even League 2. But in hockey, even though you can't score a goal from further out than 14 yards, teams with only 10 players on the pitch regularly score goals. Why? Cos they move the ball intelligently and quickly.

Our boys are supposed to be professional sportsmen, yet they can't work out how to move the ball on quickly and accurately enough.

They are playing against fellow professional sportsmen who can work out where they are moving the ball quickly and accurately too.

Last edited:
superblue24;1425344[B said:
]Point is that Timlin should have the experience to be a little more careful when on a yellow from the 20th minute. Bad refereeing or not, players should always be prepared for refs to get decisions wrong and send them off so should exercise a bit of caution imo. [/B]

OK, I wasn't at the match, so cannot say what happened, but from the many matches I have seen, it is a very thin line between 'getting in and having a go' and holding back and the opposing player gets through. And yes, I know that there is a right and a wrong way to nick the ball back, but two running players will occasionally get timings a bit wrong, but I would rather have someone committing at 100 percent rather than spending the rest of the match worrying about a potential yellow coming up.

Are you saying only Southend can't cope with going down to 10 men?

It seems that whilst sometimes teams hold out (we did last year v Crawley with 9 and are the only team ever to score with 8 men on the pitch v Swansea in 2003) the majority of teams that have a man disadvantage from an early stage lose the game.

While it's always possible to get something out of a game with 10 men, I would not expect an away trip to Oxford to be the likely occasion for that to happen. You say using the full pitch minimizes the 10 man issue, so you must surely realise that the home side can do the same to us but with 11? Generally much more effective.
I wasn't there but it seemed to play out as expected after sending off. 2 second half goals from an attacking sub. Call it fresh legs or a tactical change, sometimes you get lucky and deal with it and sometimes not.

No blame on Timilin whatsover- an utterly shocking decion from a buffoon. Simply you would have to substitue anyone on a yellow card on this basis as if you inadvertently bump into someone you will be off.

I don't agree the performance was that bad either.

Back