• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southendkid

Director⭐
CP said something on the radio yesterday, he said that Dickinson is one of our most inconsistent players, on his day he can be brilliant, but on the other days he won't win anything all game, there is no middle ground with him. I agree with this 100%, I also think the people defending him when he's rubbish by saying that 'he didn't get the service from the midfield' are wrong. His role in these godawful tactics is to win the ball in the air and get it to a midfielder. I would say the midfielders aren't getting the service from Dickinson, and so they aren't playing well. I didn't go yesterday but from what I can tell he didn't shine much at the Shrimps game.

I don't think this is nessesarily Dicko's fault though, to me he clearly isn't the best at winning the ball in the air, if he has a midget marking him then he will win balls and we look good, if the opposition have done their homework though, they just stick a strong or tall defender on Dicko and he won't win anything all match. We aren't playing to Dickinson's strengths, his best aspect is his finishing, instead we play him away from the penalty box so he can try and win some hoofed balls, and usually fail to do so.

We either need to drop Dickinson and put someone else up front if we are to continue with this 'tactic', someone with more aerial ability (what's Sampson like in the air?) or more ideally we need to put Dickinson in a more attacking role, so we can actually see him have a few shots at goal. I think I read a stat somewhere that he's had less than 2 shots a match this season, which is pathetic considering the fact he knows where the net is. Of course we aren't going to stop the pointless hoofball tactic, so this will unfortunately never happen.

On your last bit on shooting, quite a few times this season it has been seen that he just doesn't want to shoot, or waits for the absolute perfect moment to shoot when one on one!

Does a good job, best striker we have and we can't take him out. If he has a bad day, the hole attacking force has a bad day so I see your point, but we can't just rely on the one guy in attacking movement. From what I have seen, when Hall has played upfront he has been quite effective, maybe a Dicko Hall partnership, with Martin and Moshni on the wing, could work? It would certainly contain a lot more threat going forward.

Sorry guys but the Dicko of late is nothing like the player he was earlier in the season, he would run his socks off, chase everything and everyone, maybe he like many others (cant remember the last time I saw Hall take someone on and beat them) are suffering from a lack of confidence ? picking up vibes from the fans ? generally the body language of late has shown plenty. I am not picking on the 2 players mentioned, I would not like to single any of the players out, they are just 2 examples from a whole team that is devoid of confidence/ideas/leadership, and unless something changes play-offs at best beckons, but hey this is SUFC, we have a team and at present are not in the same situation as Portsmouth or Rangers, so for the time being lets do what we can to lift the team, the support yesterday was all positive during the game, as far as I could hear, and thats how it should be Home and away. Singling individuals out for abuse on this forum and at the ground is not helping and should be avoided.

Perhaps he logs into Shrimperzone and sees at the threads slagging the players off....can't do the players confidence any good

Far better people expressed the comments on here than at the players during matches.

Agreed but a slagging off is a slagging off no matter when or where it happens and its widely known who taps into the zone so all I am saying is at present its not helpful IMO

Lets be honest none of our strikers have had a great season and even the new guys are struggling. I agree, its the cr*p hoof ball service that gets played up to them. As i said before it doesnt matter who plays up front if the service is dreadfull, nothing to do with Dickinsons form.

SZ exists for more than just slagging players off doesn't it?

I looked up Shrimperzone in the dictionary and the definition is 'a site for football fans who wished they could play but can't who feel the need to knock players at every opportunity to make them feel better about themselves'

I like Dickinson as a player, I think he looks frustrated of late as our competitors have our tactic sussed and he is becoming largely shut out and confidence is waning. The service to the front 2 yesterday was predictable and awful.

Perhaps he logs into Shrimperzone and sees at the threads slagging the players off....can't do the players confidence any good
I wasn't trying to slag Dickinson off, I'm just saying he isn't just someone to hoof to, and that we should try actually using him as a striker.

I looked up Shrimperzone in the dictionary and the definition is 'a site for football fans who wished they could play but can't who feel the need to knock players at every opportunity to make them feel better about themselves'

I thought the definition was " a site for people with chips on their shoulders to continually take the urine out of other posters without letting go; e.g a little Jack Russell dog."

CP said something on the radio yesterday, he said that Dickinson is one of our most inconsistent players, on his day he can be brilliant, but on the other days he won't win anything all game, there is no middle ground with him. I agree with this 100%, I also think the people defending him when he's rubbish by saying that 'he didn't get the service from the midfield' are wrong. His role in these godawful tactics is to win the ball in the air and get it to a midfielder. I would say the midfielders aren't getting the service from Dickinson, and so they aren't playing well. I didn't go yesterday but from what I can tell he didn't shine much at the Shrimps game.

I don't think this is nessesarily Dicko's fault though, to me he clearly isn't the best at winning the ball in the air, if he has a midget marking him then he will win balls and we look good, if the opposition have done their homework though, they just stick a strong or tall defender on Dicko and he won't win anything all match. We aren't playing to Dickinson's strengths, his best aspect is his finishing, instead we play him away from the penalty box so he can try and win some hoofed balls, and usually fail to do so.

We either need to drop Dickinson and put someone else up front if we are to continue with this 'tactic', someone with more aerial ability (what's Sampson like in the air?) or more ideally we need to put Dickinson in a more attacking role, so we can actually see him have a few shots at goal. I think I read a stat somewhere that he's had less than 2 shots a match this season, which is pathetic considering the fact he knows where the net is. Of course we aren't going to stop the pointless hoofball tactic, so this will unfortunately never happen.

I have to agree with all of that , We are not playing to his strenghts, but at the same time sometimes he has been great , sometimes he hasn't . The same is true for much of the team, but the way Dickinson is being played it is more 'obvious' when the effort is/is not being applied.

When the effort is there I love him

Back