• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Did you know that there is an FA Cup Final going on today?

... I must admit I had completely forgotten .... untiI that is I saw Gary Lineker on BBC Breakfast this morning trying to hold back the emotion commenting on how his Leicester City were going to be at their first final in over 50 years.

It always used to be of course THE big day of the year in every football fan's calendar, a rare chance to see live action, and all of the build up before the kick-off with hours of special programmes until we then all settled down, picked our favourite team (usually the underdog) and lived every moment of it until the winners went up those old Wembley steps, and then going out to re-live it all on a local park with a few mates (or if it was raining with a Subutteo tournament).

Many on here I know will have their own similar memories, from a time when they showed 'how the teams got to Wembley' and we all looked to see where Southend United featured in the 'rounds tree' to see which of the two finalists had defeated the mighty Shrimpers (either first had or second hand by defeating our victors (or victors victors) ... stirring memories then of us thinking back to the mists of the November before of how we somehow beat Villa in the cup or whatever.

The cup has long since lost its real magic, but it will always be special and we all now look forward to joining it a round earlier in 2021/22 to see just how short our journey in it might be again ..... though you never know, a new Stan might show up and we all don a Father Christmas outfit in tribute and run down the terraces to celebrate as the new saviour nets a blinding winner

Hmm, I'm rambling. Back to today, I hope Gary (the owners of his club seemingly do it the right way and treat their fans with respect) gets his wish and so we get to see some genuine real FA Cup football emotion on the TV,

And then we can all go out for a kickabout afterwards and dream of beating Dulwich Hamlet in the Fourth Qualifying Round in October

Yes I knew as I watch Sky Sports News. Isn’t it an evening kick off? That doesn’t seem right. I don’t think Leicester have won the FA Cup before and it’d be good if they won for their fans. It’s always nice to see someone other than the usual suspects get to the final. The league cup these days seems pointless as Man City seem to win it every year.

I had not a clue until I saw this thread.
Does this reflect, lack of interest in footie? Lack of interest in "elite" football,?disdain for the BBC,? Linaker, the woke brigade,? minor nature of cup today, ?too much football on tele?

Two reserve sides I suppose - or "11 changes". Now a pointless competition, sad to say.

I used to enjoy the FAC every May. Now i like it much more in August and September. I dream of the day when I might actually be at a game in January.

Two reserve sides I suppose - or "11 changes". Now a pointless competition, sad to say.
Martinez (at the time Arsenal's goalkeeper) was in tears when they won it last season, not everyone has stopped caring about it.

I guess it's a combination of how people consume football these days, how available it is, commitment/motivation, and of course priorities - families, jobs etc. For example, the Champions League and UEFA Cup have completely passed me by this season because they are on BT Sport and I don't have it. When the CL was broadcast on ITV I watched most matches so could follow its progress.

If the BBC didn't have Match of the Day I'd probably lose touch with the Premier League as well as I don't have Sky, although I do get the odd day/week pass and am planning to so in the coming week so I can watch all the play-off matches.

I used to love cricket when it was live on BBC or Channel 4 but completely lost touch when that moved to Sky, to the extent that I had no idea who was dominating the game, who the players were and how Essex were doing.

I must admit I'm surprised some didn't know the FA Cup final was today, as unless you boycott the BBC it's been advertised all the time.

It's not been a classic has it? Chelsea for as much as they've improved under Tuchel are such a hard watch for me. Well drilled, Long ball after long ball, it's so dull. Leicester simply haven't got going. Hoping for a better second half.

Growing up, cup final day was the only time I was allowed to watch tv during the day - quite right too. Always a special day. Good to see Leicester winning.

Back