• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
Just reminiscing and it occurred to me that there are people young enough here not to know things about our great town. I'll start with footie related ones since that was what I was thinking about.

Football at Snakes Lane where David Lloyd is now. The home of Hawthorna FC. Nice slope and if the keepers dropkick was high enough electricity pylon interfered with play. Football over Leigh marshes, uneven pitches and wooden changing rooms with more gaps than wood and undulating pitches. Waterside Farm used to be like that before they fiinally flattened them.

Other things that kids would never know. The Old Golden Hind and the lake just to the East of the Pier. The old SUFC scoreboard at Vic Circus shopping centre. The old bus station where Sainsburys is. Cricko remembers Prittlewell Priory in its heyday but there must be plenty of fine examples. Away you go.

There are probably young people on here who never experienced Skiddy Barooches.

The underground toilets in the High Street to the South of the railway bridge - used to scare the life out of me having to go down there!

The Old Post Office in Nelson Road where the Last Post is now - amazing interior, very imposing.

Keddies, agree with Mad Cyril, going to see Father Christmas there was every bit as good as going to the West End.

Dixons on the corner where WH Smiths is now, a store to rival Keddies.

Southend cinemas in their heyday - the Odeon, the Ritz and the ABC...when going to the cinema was a real experience.

Last edited:
Absolutely.Don't forget The Esseldo(later classic)or the Mascot in Wescliff.

Yes, used to go to Saturday Club there, but was trying to keep to Southend itself.

Many happy memories of the bowling alley on the pier too, we did an annual 24 hour sponsored bowl there to raise money to take disabled children on holiday.

Shell maze and giant shrimp outside C&A.
Had forgotten about those.

46 clothes shop
rosehills
the Boozy Rouge restaurant
Cawardines coffee shop
the Torchlight Procession

what was the name of the ice cream shop where the Body Shop is now?

[video=youtube;lPXWt2ESxVY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPXWt2ESxVY[/video]

This thread made me think of this.....nothing to do with Southend. Soz!

can anyone remember what The Hogshead (Slug & Lettuce) was called before it was the Hogshead?

Yes, used to go to Saturday Club there, but was trying to keep to Southend itself.

Many happy memories of the bowling alley on the pier too, we did an annual 24 hour sponsored bowl there to raise money to take disabled children on holiday.

Snap.Stold my first kiss there.:smiles:

Used to go bowling (occasionally)and drinking at the bowling alley too.

can anyone remember what The Hogshead (Slug & Lettuce) was called before it was the Hogshead?

I remember when it used to be an epic toy store, can't remember the name but it started with B I think.

Back