• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Did you realise we were a first for

Bob Cratchitt

Devil's Advocate
a frivolous appeal charge?

However, FA spokesman Mark Hooper told BBC Sport: "The FA refutes any suggestion that certain clubs are treated differently to others. All cases are treated on merit.

"Under Fifa guidelines, the FA can only overturn decisions if there has been a serious and clear error by the referee.

"The vast majority of appeals are rejected on that basis. And the clubs are fully aware of the rules.

"If the appeal is considered to have been frivolous, then a further suspension can be added to the original ruling.

"This has happened to Burnley, Mansfield, Luton, Tranmere and Hartlepool this season - as well as Middlesbrough."

The first additional ban for a frivolous appeal was handed to Southend's Freddy Eastwood in August 2005.

I have to say I feel a bit sorry for Boro when Mascherano was just as much at fault and you see many appeals that are not deemed to be frivolous by the FA. To prove that it's not one rule for the bigger clubs and another, why not give Leeds an extra penalty for their pathetic and frivolous appeals against their points deduction? :finger:

It was definitely the right decision to give Aliadiere the extra ban. OK, it was a petty sending off but Middlesbrough were stupid to appeal in the same way we were over Eastwood's equivalent red because, like Tilly, Gareth Southgate publicly admitted it was a sending off offence.

I didn't realise we were the first club to invoke the 'frivolous appeal' rule, though!

they both should have been sent off as they both did the same thing, both of them should be embaressed with themselves slapping like a bunch of girls.

Freddy's red card was for a "push" on a Huddersfield player. We appealed it, which enabled him to play against Southampton in the televised league cup clash. We then stupidly kept him on the bench for that game anyway, meaning we went without him for 5 games.

Fortunately Mitchell Cole, Wayne Gray and James Lawson were on fire and we went off on and won 8 games in a row - although Freddy played a key part in a few of those coming off the bench (Forest, Yeovil etc).

I'm still waiting for the FA to extend the ban on a player from a big club. I think the only other premier$hite club to be punished in this way is Derby.

I can't see Gerrard or Terry being punished like that.

I can't see Gerrard or Terry being punished like that.

exactly what i was thinking, this was also mentioned by the boro chairman saying that chelsea appealed a similar red card recieved by essien and he although the appeal wasn't succesful he didn't receive an extra game ban! in the prem their really is one rule for a smaller team then a different one for the bigger teams.

That Eastwood sending off was a joke. It was a gentle push in the guys chest (he had spat at Eastwood to provoke it!) and it was the sort of push that occurs at least five times in each match, particularly in the penalty area ahead of corners.

I reckoned I've screamed at referees for worse pushes at least 100 times since, begging for a Eastwood style red, but nothing as yet!

That Eastwood sending off was a joke. It was a gentle push in the guys chest (he had spat at Eastwood to provoke it!) and it was the sort of push that occurs at least five times in each match, particularly in the penalty area ahead of corners.

I reckoned I've screamed at referees for worse pushes at least 100 times since, begging for a Eastwood style red, but nothing as yet!

I remember the ref came running up to Freddy in the aftermath and gave him a bigger push than the one Freddy was guilty of!

SUFC for Guiness Book entry ??

a frivolous appeal charge?

Top of the disciplinary table as well.

Bad lads but the steel is good, Leeds did not bully us.

Controlled agression in the manner of that game for the remainder of season would be just the ticket.

The FA appeals panel are certainly a joke,

Can anyone (I'm sure you all can) remember captain Kev being sent off v Col Ewe last year when Karl Doobad dived.

It was as clear as day on the TV replay yet the ban was upheld.

As a result we narrowly lost to Wolves (a game we could have won), beat the Saints but then failed to get a result at a v poor Luton side.

That potentially lost us six points.

The dinosaurs sitting in that smoke filled room with their luke warm cups of tea and reading glasses have no idea how this bothers anyone except those in the Premier league.

If it had happened in a top flight game that ban would never have been upheld.

Another example of the little guy being s*** on from those above.

Back