• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Diego Maradona

palexander

Life President
Anyone else seen that Maradona is in a critical condition in an Argentinian hospital fighting for his life?

Rumoured to have taken a cocain overdose!

Probably the most gifted footballer of our generation (alongside Tony Richards) - and most wasted talent.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ April 19 2004,10:49)]good, I for one would quite happily **** on his grave, the dirty cheating Argy scumbag
All those in favour say scum.........

..........SCUM!

Nope, I'll have to disagree with you.

Yes, he was a cheating Argie barsteward.  But he's also the most gifted footballer I've ever witnessed.  The second goal he scored against us in Mexico '86 remains the greatest goal of individual skill I've ever seen in my life.

Alas, his current predicament is merely a metaphor for footballing success - and media idolatory; a boy whose gift for football was matched only by the horror of the grinding poverty in which he was brought up... but who was then catapulted to super-stardom on a world stage, yet never shown how to deal with that.  The result - self-abuse, which has landed him in hospital.

I thought the Argentinian football correspondent on 5 Live this morning had an excellent analogy.  Julius Caesar, when emperor, employed a slave who used to follow him everywhere and whose job was solely to remind the emperor that he was only human.

Unfortunately, the Argentinian media and public have always been telling Diego that he is a Demigod, and as a result, he's had no one to tell him when to stop - until now, unfortunately, by which time it may be too late.

sad.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 19 2004,11:25)]Unfortunately, the Argentinian media and public have always been telling Diego that he is a Demigod, and as a result, he's had no one to tell him when to stop - until now, unfortunately, by which time it may be too late.

sad.gif

Matt
Nothing unfortunate about it my book, I drafting an celebratory e-mail to the Beunos Aires Herald in the hope the the fat, cheating, pikey, Argy scumbag croaks it!

Sick I know but some people don't deserve any sympathy and he's one of them.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ April 19 2004,11:59)]Sick I know but some people don't deserve any sympathy and he's one of them.  
rock.gif
Well, Matt - we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

He may have been a cheat, but he was also a genius - and his disappearance from football and his (potential) untimely demise is a loss for all of us.

sad.gif

Matt

He cheated at a sport, it's hardly enough to wish him dead, I can see why someone would wish a mass-murderer dead, but a footballer who cheated? Seriously?

The fact is that football - especially the blinkered and passionate support of Southend United and England - gives me the opportunity to be completely illogical and think with my heart not my head. I realise all the reasonable arguments as to how this is the sad demise of a great and yet wasted talent, however this will never detract from the fact that I have hated the man since I was a heartbroken 12 year old in front of the TV at home watching him cheat England out of the World Cup. For that reason he is merely getting his just rewards in my eyes, I hope it's painful.

Of course if Micheal Owen punches the ball into the net on the way to helping us win Euro 2004 then I shall hail him as a hero. As I said, logic and reason don't come into it - leave that to the everyday grown-up world of work and responsibility - this is football and I am completely and proudly biased and un-reasonable. Long may that continue!

The only real disapointment is that Barry Fry isn't lying in the bed next to him!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ April 19 2004,12:17)]however this will never detract from the fact that I have hated the man since I was a heartbroken 12 year old in front of the TV at home watching him cheat England out of the World Cup.
well said Andy, and my feelings exactly.

'Football's not a matter of life and death, its more important than that' - Bill Shankly.

I will not , and will never have, any remorse, pity or compassion for that fat ****.

And if you speak to any England fan in the street, I think you'll find that I'm not alone.

I'm with RM on this, I know it's sick and indefensible but it's how I feel! Maradona cheated us and gloried in our misery so I have absolutely no sympathy for him.

Football is partisan by nature but many great footballers transcend the bitter rivalries and are respected all the more for it, Beckenbauer, Pele, Moore to name just three. Maradona never did that, his skills were sublime but he was a flawed genius and a prima donna to boot.

Sorry if my view offends some of you but I ain't gonna pretend that it think his death would be a loss.
blues.gif

I hope the fat Argy c**t lives but has too have his right arm amputated due to complications on the operating table.

I then hope he gets kidnapped by a bunch of Brazilians who roger him to death in the Amazon forest.

Cheating skummy Argy tw*t.

He's been dead since the first gulf war, when he secretly went to be become a human shield, an got hit by a bomb. It's all a conspiracy.

Sheesh, I'm that bored.

Back