• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

dannypav

President
A couple of points.

For quite a few weeks on here I've read about our awful defending.
Admittedly most of this criticism was focused on set piece defending , but nevertheless , the implication was that we were shocking at the back.
Looking at the table today , although we are bottom half , we the have the joint 3rd best record in terms of goals conceded.
How do people view that.
Was the criticism unfounded ?
Or do most other teams have even worse problems than we do ?

The other thing is related to stats and how they are viewed.
In two separate discussions since yesterdays victory , one person said "we are unbeaten in 3" and another said "just one win in 7".
Both are true , but it's interesting how one person viewed as quite positive and another as very negative.

Point I just made on the Oxford thread.

The problem is we arent scoring enough, so when we do concede it affects us more noticably, normally costs us points.

Saw on the highlights Oxford had an unmarked header from a corner, no-one near the guy and lucky not to concede.

Always depends on this site who is doing the posting. Those who were against brown from the start were just gagging for a bad patch so they could shows lists of players that brown signed and didnt make it or say I told you so he is **** blah blah blah. This site is known as shrimpermoan within the local media for a reason. Look at how quiet the site is after a win......been the same for years. I respect all views opinions my issue is with many who view an opinion/view as fact. The fact is that this season we have won some lost some and drawn some and are three points off the play offs, fair to say its still early days and in my opinion we have only had one truly bad performance this season but the fact is its a results business and if you lose a few its bound to get a bit ugly. Form your own views as we all do but ultimately its about expectations. .....dont get me started on that

For me as a Southend fan in league two, I don't have expectations. Maybe every fan of every club in any division thinks they are better than they actually are. That's partly why we spend our cash in the hope that every now again we have success. But, on current form surely it's better to look at 3 without defeat than 1 win in seven. If someone had offered me five points from two away games and one at home I would be happy. We should have won all three in my opinion, but after 4 defeats it's been a decent return of late.

Always depends on this site who is doing the posting. Those who were against brown from the start were just gagging for a bad patch so they could shows lists of players that brown signed and didnt make it or say I told you so he is **** blah blah blah. This site is known as shrimpermoan within the local media for a reason. Look at how quiet the site is after a win......been the same for years. I respect all views opinions my issue is with many who view an opinion/view as fact. The fact is that this season we have won some lost some and drawn some and are three points off the play offs, fair to say its still early days and in my opinion we have only had one truly bad performance this season but the fact is its a results business and if you lose a few its bound to get a bit ugly. Form your own views as we all do but ultimately its about expectations. .....dont get me started on that
Brown out and Martin out rubbish boo

Saw on the highlights Oxford had an unmarked header from a corner, no-one near the guy and lucky not to concede.

I noticed that. Thompson looked to be shrugged off the ball too easily by his marker.

Same as every club and forum in the land to be fair. Id be surprised to find any forum full of roses after the run we just went on.

There was plenty of positive vibes after the first 4 or 5 games (even after the couple of defeats), but its not surprising the knives come out after 2 points in 6 games.

Even then there wasnt actually that much in the way of "Brown out" discussions anyway, the poll that was created was unanimous saying he shouldnt be sacked.

I was certainly criticial of results, despite people using embargos and even wages as excuses we still have a decent set of players who whilst may not be expected to challenge for top 3 should still be getting 2 wins out of 6 games. Even so Ive said all along that despite poor results the performances werent actually that bad and there were positives.

Hopefully the win will inject a bit of self-confidence into the side because it might be thats all thats missing.

My issue is the one sided approach of many people on both sides of the argument. People only want to highlight the incidents and stats that prove their argument and ignore anything else. If people were more balanced they'd have more credibility. If someone/something was wrong then say so, but if you think something/someone did well the say so too, don't just ignore it.

I think you called it right all along Jam Man. Results were disappointing but the performances showed promise and that manifest itself at Oxford. For me, I think that we have adapted our style under Brown and the team is learning. The first three games were against lower order sides that were not units and our game was too good for them. Then we played a few better organised sides that were able to counter our style as we had not yet fully got to grips with it. Hopefully the oxford performance has the promise of more to come and the culmination of good training and hard work.

Indeed, the style was much better, we werent getting easily beaten and individual errors were causing us to lose points, becaase we werent scoring so every goal conceded had a bigger impact.

It was hard to put a finger on what exactly wasnt going right, the individuals looked ok and I couldnt even say any of them shouldnt have been in the side.

Think thats why people started bringing up wages etc, because on the face of it we should have been doing better and there was no obvious reasons why.

Football is a strange beast, all you need is a bit of self belief and a bit of momentum and you can have a good run. Same goes the other way, very easy to get into the losing habit too.

Back