• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Director of Football

Brett Angle

First XI
Looking at the events over the weekend I am wondering now whether Ron is considering a change of structure at the football club. In the absence of a CEO it is clear that Ron is spread pretty thin and maybe the appointment of a Director of Football in Larsson would help bridge that gap and allow the services of Waddock and Tod to be retained as Head Coach and First Team Coach respectively. It might well better play to their respective strengths - and negate some of their weaknesses that have been exposed in previous roles hitherto. If they can work together I think they will all bring different things to the party and could grow together as a management team. it would also give Ron someone who could advise him on footballing matters - Larsson's global footballing knowledge and experience must be second to none as must his contacts - whilst Waddocks success AND failures in the EFL give the team that lower league experience that is vital. Could be interesting and pragmatic solution to try and solve a number of problems.

Can’t see what Larsson has to gain joining a league 1 club as a DoF at his age. He will be manager or nothing. If anything it would be Waddock as DoF handling scouting and contracts etc with HIS experience and Larsson handling the players and football side. Could work.

Looking at the events over the weekend I am wondering now whether Ron is considering a change of structure at the football club. In the absence of a CEO it is clear that Ron is spread pretty thin and maybe the appointment of a Director of Football in Larsson would help bridge that gap and allow the services of Waddock and Tod to be retained as Head Coach and First Team Coach respectively. It might well better play to their respective strengths - and negate some of their weaknesses that have been exposed in previous roles hitherto. If they can work together I think they will all bring different things to the party and could grow together as a management team. it would also give Ron someone who could advise him on footballing matters - Larsson's global footballing knowledge and experience must be second to none as must his contacts - whilst Waddocks success AND failures in the EFL give the team that lower league experience that is vital. Could be interesting and pragmatic solution to try and solve a number of problems.

I like the idea of a DIrector of Football but we're Southend United: global footballing knowledge isn't really top of our attributes needed.

Also a Director of Football needs to be long term. They should be giving you the stability and direction when the manager changes not somebody who's going to get bored/disillusioned when Ron's plans don't live up to expectation.

This is just Ron being seduced by a big name. Again.

I like the idea of a DIrector of Football but we're Southend United: global footballing knowledge isn't really top of our attributes needed.

Also a Director of Football needs to be long term. They should be giving you the stability and direction when the manager changes not somebody who's going to get bored/disillusioned when Ron's plans don't live up to expectation.

This is just Ron being seduced by a big name. Again.

Do we know it won't be a long term appointment? You never know. I thought Powell would be here for years to come - he left after one. Ferguson was a game away from getting the sack at Man U - the rest is history. Anyway three years probably qualifies for long term these days and if you get stability over a period like that anything is possible. I also think it can be really important that you know what is going on in football outside of your everyday EFL bubble - it can give you a distinct competitive advantage. Examples of that in Championship and Premiership now. Look at Leeds, Norwich, Wolves, Watford etc.

More important to appoint a CEO than a Director of Football!

Absolutely OBL. You need a CEO to direct the Director.

Director of Football at lower league only works in a few cases and lots of things have to be in your favour. Works with someone like Barry Fry and Posh. Yes many of you won't like that but its true and we all know why.

Larsson would not have the knowledge or budget to make it work. There has been a few Tim Sherwood at Swindon type 'Directors of Football' appointments, which is really just another level of management.
All it does is undermine the manger because he is then called a coach and the players know he is just a yes man.......Something our squad would take full advantage of.....When the inevitable losing streak returns.

It’s a waste of time it really is ,we are getting all glazy eyed again just keep waddock in charge and be done with it

I know I got a hard time from some of you around this but I don't think, ultimately, I'm going to be far off the mark. If there is a financial investment going in - as seems likely - I'd assume HL's role will be more than just Manager. Added to that DK looking likely to be Head Coach one would expect him to be the guy working day to day with players. We obviously need them to get more out of the players we have but hope they can bring in some players to strengthen the squad as soon as possible. This squad is not strong enough both physically and mentally and requires major surgery - despite Ron's belief to the contrary.

I know I got a hard time from some of you around this but I don't think, ultimately, I'm going to be far off the mark. If there is a financial investment going in - as seems likely - I'd assume HL's role will be more than just Manager. Added to that DK looking likely to be Head Coach one would expect him to be the guy working day to day with players. We obviously need them to get more out of the players we have but hope they can bring in some players to strengthen the squad as soon as possible. This squad is not strong enough both physically and mentally and requires major surgery - despite Ron's belief to the contrary.

You maybe right, but I didn’t interpret the HL interview (in one of the other posts) to support that view. It seemed to me that HL wishes to be on the sidelines and full involved in the day to day coaching , managing, etc.

I expect Larsson to be named our new manager, Kuyt to be his assistant. In these roles Larsson will be more strategic but at times involve himself in the day to day training. Kuyt will very much have responsibility for training, matchday prep and motivating the players. Given their histories as attacking players, this is where I expect a more defensive coach to come in to complement them. This doesn't however fit with Tommy Johnson being mentioned as he was also an attacker. Expect Todorov & probably Waddock to be on their way

I expect Larsson to be named our new manager, Kuyt to be his assistant. In these roles Larsson will be more strategic but at times involve himself in the day to day training. Kuyt will very much have responsibility for training, matchday prep and motivating the players. Given their histories as attacking players, this is where I expect a more defensive coach to come in to complement them. This doesn't however fit with Tommy Johnson being mentioned as he was also an attacker. Expect Todorov & probably Waddock to be on their way

I would expect Johnson to be more of a scouting role in all honesty. He already holds a recruitment role at Forest and will likely bring the knowledge of EFL players that HL and DK don’t have.

I would expect Johnson to be more of a scouting role in all honesty. He already holds a recruitment role at Forest and will likely bring the knowledge of EFL players that HL and DK don’t have.

I have an irrational hatred of Johnson. He always scored against us back in the day

Back