• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Disappointing stewarding at Roots Hall last night

bluearmy1

Youth Team
A small matter, but one I thought I should bring to the attention of SZ.

I was right at the front in the East Stand, near the corner flag that splits us from the south. When Chelsea scored their second, one man jumped up from his seat and yelled "YES!".

This Chelsea fan was clearly on his own and had - somehow - managed to bag a home ticket.

I alerted the nearest steward (a pensioner) who said he was aware of what had happened and that it was being dealt with. Five minutes later the Chelsea fan was still there - I asked the same steward why he hadn't been removed and he shrugged. I then asked who was in charge of security - and he couldn't tell me.

Obviously the elation of this "fan" had alerted a handful of Southend supporters around him who began to shout justified abuse in his direction. He went very quiet after that and once his side had scored the third to put the game beyond doubt, he had left.

I have grave reservations about the way this was handled. Luckily for this Chelsea fan, nobody started aggro, but other fans (of a less well behaved club) may have reacted differently and this could have ended very nastily indeed.

Of course the odd one or two will always slip through the ticketing net (touts etc), but surely it's then up to the security/stewards (there were two firms there last night) to either eject the opposition fan or move him to the Chelsea end.

I wonder if anyone else witnessed this?

....As for the game - well done Shrimpers, you made us all very proud.

My mate was on your stand and said the same. Steward was told well in advance and went off and told someone else who did nothing.

Stewards were too worried about Southend Blue Voice flags blocking various advertising hoardings to worry about doing some real stewarding.

So what! I'm sure there were a lot of our fans (myself included) who shouted 'YES' when we scored at Stamford Bridge! Hardly an offence worthy of ejection provided he wasn't being provocative

I was right at the front in the East Stand, near the corner flag that splits us from the south. When Chelsea scored their second, one man jumped up from his seat and yelled "YES!".

This Chelsea fan was clearly on his own and had - somehow - managed to bag a home ticket.

I alerted the nearest steward (a pensioner) who said he was aware of what had happened and that it was being dealt with. Five minutes later the Chelsea fan was still there - I asked the same steward why he hadn't been removed and he shrugged. I then asked who was in charge of security - and he couldn't tell me.

Obviously the elation of this "fan" had alerted a handful of Southend supporters around him who began to shout justified abuse in his direction. He went very quiet after that and once his side had scored the third to put the game beyond doubt, he had left.

I have grave reservations about the way this was handled. Luckily for this Chelsea fan, nobody started aggro, but other fans (of a less well behaved club) may have reacted differently and this could have ended very nastily indeed.

Of course the odd one or two will always slip through the ticketing net (touts etc), but surely it's then up to the security/stewards (there were two firms there last night) to either eject the opposition fan or move him to the Chelsea end.

What harm was he causing again?? So the Southend fans in the home seats at Stamford Bridge should have been ejected as well. Why not leave people be if there not causing any harm, perhaps talk to them. You never know they might be normal human beings

Why do you think abuse is justified?

Personally I think if you go in the oppositon end then you keep your mouth shut out of respect. If you chose to mouth off then you deal with the consequences of either ejection, a kick in etc. A few of ours found this out at Orient.

Not right but sort of a unwritten rule if you ask me.

Personally I think if you go in the oppositon end then you keep your mouth shut out of respect. If you chose to mouth off then you deal with the consequences of either ejection, a kick in etc. A few of ours found this out at Orient.

I kind of agree (and with you, shocking hey ;)) but by the sounds of it he wasn't being abusive or rude. He just celebrated his team scoring which is a very hard emotion to stop. In that case i wouldn't think he deserved hounding out.

When I've had to sit with the opposition I've always tried to stiffle my celebrations with comments like "Oh well taken - good shot". I also bend my little finger when I drink tea. :)

I thought the stewards in the West were not as annoying as usual last night... we were able to stand all game without being asked to sit down!!!

I just think that there is a big difference between standing up to applaud a goal and generally 'mouthing off'. I was in the Chelsea end and didn't say a word all game but punched the air when we scored which is perfectly natural. I really dont think that I would have deserved a 'kick in' or ejection.

I just think that there is a big difference between standing up to applaud a goal and generally 'mouthing off'. I was in the Chelsea end and didn't say a word all game but punched the air when we scored which is perfectly natural. I really dont think that I would have deserved a 'kick in' or ejection.

Agreed.

However my mate told me the fan in question leapt up in the air when they scored. At best that is a provocative guesture.

Couldn't agree more. You're asking for it by being in enemy territory and if you're not clever enough to sit on your hands and bite your tongue you can have no complaints at the consequences.

I've done it at West Ham, Sunderland and, bizarrely, in the away end of Roots Hall with the Yeovil fans for that 4-1 a few years ago. No, you don't enjoy the game as much, but staying quiet is more fun than being hit repeatedly in the head.

Provocative of what reaction?

Of whatever reaction the home fans dish out. If you sit in the home end you not only take a tikcet from a southend fan you run the risk the home fans may get you.

If he sat in the home end at West Ham, Tottenham, Liverpool do you think he would have the option to walk out?

Last edited:
So why do you think one person, supporting the visiting team, celebrating one goal in designated home seats, without recourse to any misbehaviour, warrants "whatever reaction the home fans dish out"?

So why do you think one person, supporting the visiting team, celebrating one goal in designated home seats, without recourse to any misbehaviour, warrants "whatever reaction the home fans dish out"?

If you read my post my post number six where I state "Not right" before posting it might save you some effort and me the effort of replying.

All I am saying before you cry is that it up and down the country if you go in the oppositon end you are asking for trouble if you celebrate. End of.

If you read my post my post number six where I state "Not right" before posting it might save you some effort and me the effort of replying.

All I am saying before you cry is that it up and down the country if you go in the oppositon end you are asking for trouble if you celebrate. End of.

There aren't many places thought that are that dodgy now though are there, obviously if you sit next to the wrong person you might wanna keep quiet. Otherwise the risk of trouble inside grounds now is alot less then it ever used to be.

There's a guy called "kelsi" posting on CFCnet saying he was in the middle of the Southend fans, and that their chants were disgusting so I'm guessing where he was roughly! I don't see how this can happen when tickets didn't reach general sale (they didn't did they?), I also heard there were touts around with loads of tickets. I find this unbelievable knowing the demand for them.

Back