• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Barmy Army

Director
Coming off the back of a 7-0 humiliation of East Thurrock, I for one expected more. Yes I know that they were only East Thurrock, but to win 7-0 is emphatic to say the least.

Tonight the Blues were very slow to get out of the blocks. Penned back in our own half for a good solid 10-15 minutes in the first half meant that only trouble could come from the pressure we absorbed. The centre of midfield went walk-abouts and the bald centre-midfielder (Judge?) looked less than average in comparison to the other midfielders that we have. The defense looked somewhat shaky, Williams looked nervous and I can allow for that. Hunt was solid and to an extent commanding, but the same cannot be said about his partner at the back. Barrett looked poor to me, if not to others as well. He looked like Drewe at the back. Enthusiastic, but tending to jump into his man when trying to win headers. The penalty was clear-cut and why he felt the need to argue I don't know. Nicolau was quiet on the left and had little to do really, didn't exploit his attacking ability either.

Edwards looked un-troubled at the back playing alongside Prior. If we can get this partnership full-time, we should have one of the tightest defences in the division (or league). Che looked composed on the ball and should prove to be a useful back-up at numerous positions in the coming season. Jupp looked a step above what he was last year, and it was nice to see him concentrate more on defending than getting forwards. Oh and he clapped the fans at the end.

Gower was very quiet today. A couple of semi-runs at the defense, but nothing like what I expected from him. He can't defend either so the combination of him and Williams on the right looked weak and was vulnerable to attack from Canvey. Maher was pretty commanding and looked to get on the ball as often as possible. Good to see him have a go at his team-mates for their lack lustre performances at times. The other centre-midfielder, not certain of his name, bald, looked poor. Didn't get into the game, and didn't look like he wanted to either. I'd be very surprised, and worried, if he were to get a contract.

Corbett was quiet also. He showed a couple of glimpses of skill and runs, but nothing that stuck in the mind. Porter looked nervous and sold his team-mates short on a couple of occasions with under-hit passes. Not really going to push to even get on the subs bench next year. Kightly looked sharp on the wing, also putting in a couple of challenges in which he won the ball. Could well be used on the left-wing a fair bit in the new season.

Up-front Bramble looked somewhat sharper than he was last season. He showed a nice couple of touches, even though on a couple of occasions he demonstrated his lack of ability to run with the ball at his feet. Husbands looked sharp when he came on. Had a nice couple of runs on the wing and whipped in a good couple of crosses. "Striking Sensation" "Striking Sensation" Gray was a dissapointment given the hype that surrounded him. Sure it was only one game, but I expected him to grab a couple and trouble the Canvey defence with his pace.

Both keepers looked solid, although I'd probably take Bart over Darryl simply because it was nice to see him come out and collect from corners and crosses.

Still we beat the Pikes!

If I have missed one of the numerous players who played tonight, it is probably because they didn't make too much of an impression on me

I wasn't there, but I think you're being slightly harsh. After weeks without nothing, the players have had to play two games in two days. It's no wonder some of them didn't put in great performances.

The bald central midfielder is Surey. Judge is the striker. Talking of them, was there any reason why they were both subbed after 34 minutes? Seems a bit strange.

I know thinking about it now I have been more than a little harsh. I was just over-expectant of a brilliant performance having some players who were billed as being very good.

I wasn't sure who was who by way of triallists, especially as Surey wore the number 9 shirt and the number 26 shorts. Tes's shirt and shorts numbers didn't match either.

Still a little bit of disappointment, but I can see things getting better.

Now moved out of suicidal-mode

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ July 19 2004,23:03)]I know thinking about it now I have been more than a little harsh.  I was just over-expectant of a brilliant performance having some players who were billed as being very good.

I wasn't sure who was who by way of triallists, especially as Surey wore the number 9 shirt and the number 26 shorts.  Tes's shirt and shorts numbers didn't match either.

Still a little bit of disappointment, but I can see things getting better.

Now moved out of suicidal-mode
Here's some extra content to Barmy Army's view...

First half was fairly even in content, quality and shots... I was quite disappointed at the number of our passes going astray and some under no real pressure, I might add!  
rock.gif

Didn't see what happened for either penalty but both were clinical finishes [Boylan - high & central with power & Maher - in off the base of the right hand post!].

Husbands came on after [maybe] 30 minutes and his pace opened things up a bit

Had some handbags to finish the first half.

After the interval, surprisingly there were no big changes but we were on fire and took an early lead with an exquisite run down the right from Husbands, who provided a [near] inch perfect cross square for W "Striking Sensation" "Striking Sensation" Gray to score.

The rest of the second half was marred by King sending on substitutes at a rate of one about every 3-5 minutes. Canvey to their credit threatened throughout but never really looked like breaking our defence down.

Both goalkeepers did well, but Griemink in particular looks a class act... confident in all areas of his box.

Edwards/Prior played together and looked a good partnership, but both missed a couple of easy headers in the second half.

The midfield looked solid with Husbands the pick of the bunch... He ran himself ragged with some excellent footwork on the ball! He's definitely a raw talent, but his hunger for the ball often drew him into midfield positions which affected our width & distribution.

The front pairing of Bramble & W "Striking Sensation" "Striking Sensation" Gray worked quite well, but I don't think Bramble will be number one choice IMHO to partner W "Striking Sensation" "Striking Sensation" Gray.

According to the Official Site, Jupp set up our second goal? If anyone can confirm this, my previous post suggesting Husbands is wrong
sad.gif

But, what do I care... it was only a friendly and a good workout by all those who played! Great effort lads... more of the same on Wednesday please.
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]After the interval, surprisingly there were no big changes

6 not enough for you then?

Come on, only Maher, Hunt and Bramble were in the second XI that started the first half, and Husbands and Prior came on after 34 mins!

The second half was by far and away the better.  First half I thought we were weak.  The only players to do themselves justice were Hunt, Bramble, Husbands and Maher.  Surey and Judge were taken off after 34 mins.  Surey looked very average and Judge little better.  I won't be upset if they depart.

Gower was just NOT Gower.  Slow, caught in possession, no jinking runs... that is until the 44th minute when he won the penalty.

Williams is young and can only improve (I hope).  I'm afraid if he is our right back cover then I hope Jupp doesn't get injured for a while.  Just not up to the job defensively although not too bad going forward.

Flahavan let 3 crosses pass in front of his nose without so much as a flap and it caused us loads of trouble.  Griemink came for his first cross, missed it, and then collected everything.  He is a HUGE presence in the goal.  very commanding and this means the defence can play higher up the pitch.  Edwards and Prior looked good together but I'm a little worried about the lack of pace.

Barrett - sorry, definitely 3rd choice if Prior signs.  Seems unable to jump without fouling.

Bramble - played the whole game and looked strong and powerful, especially early on.

Husbands has really staked a claim for a wide position.  He was like lightning and the Canvey left back couldn't cope.  He tried a bit too hard though and could have released the ball earlier to teammates (much to Mahers annoyance on a couple of occasions).

Another surprising performer who did himself no harm was Che Wilson as the 2nd half left back.  I think it's probably the best I've seen him play.

Bearing in mind that Canvey are a stronger side than last season really their only threat was Minton.  It concerned me that on several occasions he was able to outpace Barrett, Prior and Edwards.  As I say, our lack of pace in the centre is a major concern.

I think back to the number of absolute clear cut chances that we had and we could have won by 6 or 7 actually.  Husbands could have had a hat trick, Corbett missed when it was easier to score and Kightly had another excellent chance.

It was in fact nice to play at about half pace and still comfortably cope with everything Canvey had.  When we turned the heat up, they couldn't cope. It appeared to me that Blues were just taking it slightly easy and when necessary the pace injected made it impossible for Canvey to live with us.  We need to play at that tempo more and hopefully when the league starts we will.

Finally a word on Wayne G ray.

For all the hype, pomp and circumstance, Husbands looked quicker, Bramble looked more industrious and Kightly looked more threatening. We didn't see his electrifying pace at all.  Yes, I too was a little disappointed as I expected more.  I kept telling my kids "He'll get going in a minute...".

Yet he scored.

Remind you of anyone?  I hope he can get 25 goals as well!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ July 19 2004,23:35)]Edwards and Prior looked good together but I'm a little worried about the lack of pace.
I have little concern with either of these two on 2 points...

Firstly, they bring vast experience to the back four and what they lack in pace, they make up for with intelligent positioning. They both missed a couple of "bread & butter" headers which is a concern, but nothing too much to worry about.

Secondly, attack is the best form of defence and I believe that the squad we have now, will score more goals that they concede.

If prior does NOT sign, I will be disappointed... but we have other good players like Hunt to fill that void.
cool.gif

I think it's too early to get worried about anything negative we saw tonight. These first few games are more about getting fitness up then anything. Tilson himself said on the site they haven't really worked on tactics yet.

Observations: (theres a few I missed out here as I can't remember too much about what they did)

Flavs - still looked like his old self in that he was happy to stay rooted to the spot at all times.
Bart - Griemnik coming off line and claiming his first cross got the biggest cheer of the night bar the two goals, he probably didn't realise we are not use to such behaviour from our keepers.

Williams - very good at running backwards when being attacked but seems scared of commiting to making the challenge.
Barrett - thought he was unlucky with the pen, even theCanvey players weren't appealing too loudly for it.
Nicolau - showed a few tricks and some nice link up play with Gower Gower. Sooooo pleased Tilly managed to sign Nicky up.
Cheese - actually thought he did ok.
Jupp - him and Husbands worked the right flank well in the 2nd half
Spinny and Edwards were all solid.

Corbett - was pretty anonomous apart from somehow missing from 5 yards out.
Surrey - not overly impressive, subbed after about half hour.
Judge - same as Surrey
Hunt - did well in Centre defence and looked ok in midfield, had a good shot saved in the 2nd half.
Maher - scored a pen, was his usual self.
Husbands - Picked up where he left off before getting clattered against Mansfield last season. Right wing could be his position if he can get more crosses in. One of the crosses he did put in was a peach though. And it's still really cool the way that when he trots around in 2nd gear he's still faster then most people on the pitch.
Kightly - More of the promise he showed last season, still looked a bit nervous when it was time to shoot though.

Bramble - we got 90 minutes out of Tes in mid-July, what a shocker! He did look a lot sharper then he was last season.
G.ray G.ray, He's the new Pele - Kinda fizzled out after the goal. Then again Connie was hardly involved in everything last season....

Hope we see more of the trialists in the next game, on this showing Prior was the only one who could warrant a deal but he did actually play 45 minutes unlinke Judge and Surrey.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ July 20 2004,00:01)]Jeez. Its pre-season. Some of you are expecting way too much, way too early.

Kev

wow.gif
Easy, Kev!

It's in these games that you get a flavour of what players can do. There were about 1500 there tonight, and I reckon there would be some disappointed zoners if there was NO report or opinion (especially for exiles like Canada Shrimper and Jávea shrimper) and so personally (and I'm sure Barmy Army did the same) I just tried to put it as I saw it, warts and all.

For some reason I left my rose tinted specs on the dashboard.

Anyway, we've had 3 months of inactivity with not much to talk about.

What did you expect?

biggrin.gif

I get more disappointed when the rose tinted brigade build up all our new signings as world beaters. This is because when I see them in action its invariably a disappointment when they turn out to be run of the mill 4th division footballers (or worse).

The only real pointer to come out of this is [once again] the lack of killer instinct that we have in front of goal at times...

like "Oh my god, I am in the six yard box and I've got the ball, what shall I do with it?" Bramble...

Alas, he passes it to "give it to me!" Corbett who shoots straight at the keeper.

Sorry lads [and I know I couldn't do better... could I?], but this is indecision and there is no room for it in football. Yes, it was only Canvey and yes they are no slouches... Yes, it was a training session and yes, we should not be overly concerned, but did Tilson & Brush say "you don't have to shoot if you don't want to?" No, I don't think so.

Personally, I want to see entertaining football from Southend, whether it's meet the blues day, a meaningless friendly or whatever.
tounge.gif
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ July 20 2004,08:38)]It's probably posted elsewhere, but I've not bothered to look yet... but what was the attendance?

Also my statements were purely my own opinions. I was just trying to document my feelings to those who were not able to be at the game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ July 20 2004,08:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ July 20 2004,08:38)]It's probably posted elsewhere, but I've not bothered to look yet... but what was the attendance?

Also my statements were purely my own opinions.  I was just trying to document my feelings to those who were not able to be at the game.
ditto

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ July 19 2004,22:44)]Coming off the back of a 7-0 humiliation of East Thurrock, I for one expected more.  Yes I know that they were only East Thurrock, but to win 7-0 is emphatic to say the least.

Tonight the Blues were very slow to get out of the blocks.  Penned back in our own half for a good solid 10-15 minutes in the first half meant that only trouble could come from the pressure we absorbed.  The centre of midfield went walk-abouts and the bald centre-midfielder (Judge?) looked less than average in comparison to the other midfielders that we have.  The defense looked somewhat shaky, Williams looked nervous and I can allow for that.  Hunt was solid and to an extent commanding, but the same cannot be said about his partner at the back.  Barrett looked poor to me, if not to others as well.  He looked like Drewe at the back.  Enthusiastic, but tending to jump into his man when trying to win headers.  The penalty was clear-cut and why he felt the need to argue I don't know.  Nicolau was quiet on the left and had little to do really, didn't exploit his attacking ability either.  

Edwards looked un-troubled at the back playing alongside Prior.  If we can get this partnership full-time, we should have one of the tightest defences in the division (or league).  Che looked composed on the ball and should prove to be a useful back-up at numerous positions in the coming season.  Jupp looked a step above what he was last year, and it was nice to see him concentrate more on defending than getting forwards.  Oh and he clapped the fans at the end.

Gower was very quiet today.  A couple of semi-runs at the defense, but nothing like what I expected from him.  He can't defend either so the combination of him and Williams on the right looked weak and was vulnerable to attack from Canvey.  Maher was pretty commanding and looked to get on the ball as often as possible.  Good to see him have a go at his team-mates for their lack lustre performances at times.  The other centre-midfielder, not certain of his name, bald, looked poor.  Didn't get into the game, and didn't look like he wanted to either.  I'd be very surprised, and worried, if he were to get a contract.  

Corbett was quiet also.  He showed a couple of glimpses of skill and runs, but nothing that stuck in the mind.  Porter looked nervous and sold his team-mates short on a couple of occasions with under-hit passes.  Not really going to push to even get on the subs bench next year.  Kightly looked sharp on the wing, also putting in a couple of challenges in which he won the ball.  Could well be used on the left-wing a fair bit in the new season.

Up-front Bramble looked somewhat sharper than he was last season.  He showed a nice couple of touches, even though on a couple of occasions he demonstrated his lack of ability to run with the ball at his feet.  Husbands looked sharp when he came on.  Had a nice couple of runs on the wing and whipped in a good couple of crosses.   "Striking Sensation" "Striking Sensation" "Striking Sensation" Gray was a dissapointment given the hype that surrounded him.  Sure it was only one game, but I expected him to grab a couple and trouble the Canvey defence with his pace.

Both keepers looked solid, although I'd probably take Bart over Darryl simply because it was nice to see him come out and collect from corners and crosses.

Still we beat the Pikes!

If I have missed one of the numerous players who played tonight, it is probably because they didn't make too much of an impression on me
Your having a f**king laugh aint ya?? How the f**k can you justify that report after only the second (in 3 days) friendly of the year, I couldnt have given a hoot about the score line, they are total exabition matches at tis early stage. And whats all this hipe about "Striking Sensation" Gray being a striking sensation?? to goals against East Thurrock and your all creaming yourselfs!! Yer he looks pretty keen but give him a chance to settle.

If I remember when we Signed David Crown all those years ago , I dont believe he scored for about the first 3-4 games and tthen we all know what he did after that!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ July 20 2004,09:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ July 20 2004,08:57)]
[b said:

Also my statements were purely my own opinions.  I was just trying to document my feelings to those who were not able to be at the game.
ditto
Ditto, Ditto & thrice Ditto!!!
tounge.gif
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ July 20 2004,09:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I couldnt have given a hoot about the score line

Cockles

So if Canvey had won 5-0 you wouldn't have been even a tiny bit concerned?
What are you on about you muppet?

The point the man is trying to make is that the match was purely a run out ot get the players match fit and assess the team before the first game.

We didnt lose the game 5-0 so what is your point apart from being argumentive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barry the dog @ July 20 2004,09:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ July 20 2004,09:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I couldnt have given a hoot about the score line

Cockles

So if Canvey had won 5-0 you wouldn't have been even a tiny bit concerned?
What are you on about you muppet?

The point the man is trying to make is that the match was purely a run out ot get the players match fit and assess the team before the first game.

We didnt lose the game 5-0 so what is your point apart from being argumentive.
My mistake.

When cockles said "I couldn't have given a hoot about the scoreline" I foolishly thought he meant "I couldn't have given a hoot about the scoreline".

An easy mistake to make I think.

rock.gif

Back