• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"DISGRACEFUL!!!" Macca speaks out

I know I know! and rightly so, was just the concept of anyone whingeing about being on that money for kicking a football around that annoyed me.

I still maintain though that a lot of people despite being on a lot less money manage to set whatever money they can aside just in case. This just makes sense to me.

And peoples concepts of not having any money are too different. i'e I havent been paid so i can only afford a couple of weeks in tenerife, as opposed to i havent been paid so my house is being repossessed.

Remember that a footballers' shelf life is pretty limited (career over before 35, sometimes shorter if injured). 9 times out of 10, these guys dont have an education beyond secondary school. Unless they are lucky enough to get a job as a coach, manager, or sporting personality, then they are pretty screwed!

Not sure if you saw "Celebrity Come Dining" the other week with Ruddock, Palmer, Fashanu and Worthington......All professional footballers played at the highest domestic level.....Anyone see a mansion between those guys....let alone each?

Think it's perfectly reasonable to expect wages on time...This is Ron's fault, not any of the players

Macca was never my favourite player but the Club made a promise to pay him a salary and didn't fulfil that promise. That, in my opinion, is disgraceful.

Whether footballers should be paid the amount of money they are is a completely different subject.

And it isn't just Macca, this has happened to all our players and is why they want to leave and that is again "disgraceful".

By the way, I've seen Macca a few times during the last week helping a friend with a young family tidy up his garden so perhaps isn't always in Mayhem? x

Footballers are on ridiculous amounts of money, but it doesn't mean that their job is pointless or easy, they are professional full time athletes.
Musicians don't get battered for the same argument i.e signing a 25 million record deal, essentially they are sitting down with a guitar and singing a tune.
All of this Macca abuse is just outrageous and unfair seeing as he was one of our most committed, passionate players that we have ever had or are ever likely to have.
I'm not being funny but footballers should be allowed a life and be able to go out and half a laugh with their mates. If I saw my boss out getting ****ed I wouldn't be going mental, because he has to get up at 6:00 to open up at 7am.
Just because he's a gonner does not mean people can just be bitter and dish out a bit of abuse. Very unfair.
Cheers Macca, you may have had a poor last few games but you brought around some great memories.
Have a Guiness on me mate!

Footballers are on ridiculous amounts of money, but it doesn't mean that their job is pointless or easy, they are professional full time athletes.
Musicians don't get battered for the same argument i.e signing a 25 million record deal, essentially they are sitting down with a guitar and singing a tune.
All of this Macca abuse is just outrageous and unfair seeing as he was one of our most committed, passionate players that we have ever had or are ever likely to have.
I'm not being funny but footballers should be allowed a life and be able to go out and half a laugh with their mates. If I saw my boss out getting ****ed I wouldn't be going mental, because he has to get up at 6:00 to open up at 7am.
Just because he's a gonner does not mean people can just be bitter and dish out a bit of abuse. Very unfair.
Cheers Macca, you may have had a poor last few games but you brought around some great memories.
Have a Guiness on me mate!

Considering the amount of total crap in this thread, a good post OBD

Good luck Macca, you served the club well, but enough is enough and you do need to be getting the wages you are promised (and contractually obliged to receive!)!

If it took that to get rid of him we should've stopped paying him 18 months ago. After all he's done sod all that was worth being paid for in that time anyway.

Totally disagree. As a player you're supposed to be part of the team. If the team aint doing well you pull your socks up and take charge. You DO NOT go on some "stuff this I'll see what happens" holiday.:thumbdown:

How can Tilly have a pop at his players for taking the odd liberty when he desperately needs them as he has nothing in the way of a squad?

Then he gets called soft. He can't win in my eyes!

Irrelevant of what wages you are on - a contract is signed by both sides.

In this instance the club defaulted - end of story! I think we are lucky that we are not being sued for constructive dismissal - if it happened in my job then sure as hell I'd be at a solicitors in a shot.

IMHO whether Macca played well or not is irrelevant and he is 100% entiteld to say all that he has.

by the way, I actually do not rate him that highly - but again, that is irrelevant.

Remember that a footballers' shelf life is pretty limited

all the more reason to not live paycheque to paycheque, or live a lifestyle beyond your means.
The money they earn is still money that most people dont get the chance of earning, for a job lots of people dreamt of as kids. I think if you told any normal person their principle way of earning money will end when they hit 35, they've be putting money aside, or already be planning to do something else.

Its of course correct that if your employer isnt paying you, you leave and get another job. Ive no gripe with that, and as has been pointed out by others, if it had been handled better then players like barrett would have been more prepared to suck it up and play on. Obviously the chairman has made this impossible. Its doom and gloom on here, imagine what it must be like for the remaining players/staff. honestly cant remember the last time I heard some good news coming from our club.:'(

Totally disagree. As a player you're supposed to be part of the team. If the team aint doing well you pull your socks up and take charge. You DO NOT go on some "stuff this I'll see what happens" holiday.:thumbdown:

Do we know for sure that this is what Macca did? I've only heard it from one source - this person called "Roach Ford", who seems to come on here to try to affect our opinions on people whom we may consider to have been the victims in what's been going on at our club. See the other stories about Tilly, for example.

The story may or may not be true, but I think it needs to be corroborated before people are sure.

Loved the part that said he didn't get paid thousands - try £2,000 a week or £8,000 a month or £96,000 a year. How many on here earn that sort of money, or would give their right arm to do so? I'm sorry but that is just laughable to come out and say he isn't well off. It's unfortunate that his wages were sometimes late but the contracts are backed up by the PFA and earning that sort of money you would be surprised if he didn't have some sort of savings in the bank.

I'll tell you what the real disgrace was, that was his week off on holiday in Tenerife in the middle of our relegation battle whilst the rest of the team were told by Tilson he was back in Dublin because of a family crisis! That really helped team spirit.

Have to say, it doesn't matter if we were paying him £200,000 a week, if we're not paying him when we should be, as in on time, or at all, then he has EVERY right to feel argeived, and it's a whole lot more than just a shame - It is unacceptable.

It's all very well to say that he is well of because he earns more than your average, but people live to their means, and when the salary isn't being paid, they have bills to pay (more likely higher than ours),a and if he doesn't pay them, he's in trouble.

There have always been rumours and counter rumours about Macca's off field activities, but I prefer to deal in fact, and if he was not being paid, or being paid late, on a consistent basis, then that is indeed disgraceful, the people running the club should be ashamed of themselves, and if I was Macca, or any of the other players, I wouldn't have even played for us last season, let alone actively seeking a way out of the contract due to the club being in breach of it - I don't think any of the players should be reproaoched about what they do from here on in, and I really hope the likes of Macca and Barratt find themselves a decent club, and I wish them all well for the future - Whatever we may think of their ability, or how they performed for us last season, those two at least could not be accused of giving anything other than 100% to the cause.

Back