• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dismantling a lap top

MK Shrimper

Striker
Folks,

The power connection on my old laptop has come lose and probably needs soldering, however despite me taking out every single screw I can find, it still won't come apart.

Any ideas why? It's a Toshiba Sattelite Pro 1200.

Ta in advance.

Similar sort of thing happened to my old HP laptop. Plugged in the power cable but it wasn't charging the battery or connecting to the laptop at all. Sent it off to the insurance company who called me a few days later saying it was knackered and they would be replacing it.

There's sometimes 2 screws on the back lip of the cover too.
I found that when I was trying to get the back of my old knackered Dell.

If anybody can direct me to an idiots guide for replacing an internal SATA hard-drive I'd be grateful too!

Toshiba's are built terribly in my experience. i took my whole laptop apart to try and clean out the fan and heat sink, motherboard and everything needed to come off to just do that. ridiculous design imo. Unfortunately not come across your design before, but have you tried taking the screen part off as this sometimes will jam things at the back of your laptop from coming off (this is if the power socket is at the back....i'm really just guessing..........)

Use a small flat bladed screwdriver to try and gently prise apart any likely looking joints in the casing.

Make sure you have plenty of insulation tape ready for when you re-assemble it.

Use a small flat bladed screwdriver to try and gently prise apart any likely looking joints in the casing.

Make sure you have plenty of insulation tape ready for when you re-assemble it.

Lol, was trying to avoid that!

Sounds silly, but are you sure it's not the power lead - the weakest joint in the power connection from plug socket to circuit board is the joint on the wire to the plug that goes into the computer - can often break if stretched (ie cable caught on something, etc).

If it goes, you might think it's the socket as it will become intermittantly faulty, and able to be fixed by wiggling the plug, implying the problem is the socket... whereas it is actually the plug

Sounds silly, but are you sure it's not the power lead - the weakest joint in the power connection from plug socket to circuit board is the joint on the wire to the plug that goes into the computer - can often break if stretched (ie cable caught on something, etc).

If it goes, you might think it's the socket as it will become intermittantly faulty, and able to be fixed by wiggling the plug, implying the problem is the socket... whereas it is actually the plug

No checked that, the actual power point at the back of the laptop is loose.

Back