• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Disney Florida Advice Please

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
We're going next Friday am

Do I buy Disney tickets on-line or over there and if so over there at Disney or somewhere else ? I want either 10 or 14 day all Disney attraction tickets. Giving Universal a miss purely as I figure we'll have enough on our plates with just Disney, though my son also wants to go to Kennedy Space Centre

All useful advice much appreciated. Cheers

We've been twice and have lots of friends that have been as well. I think we've almost all bought them over here before travelling purely for the ease with which you can do it and because of the protections you have from the reputable agencies. If you've not been before, you'll probably find a 7 day is enough for Disney, and double up on parks for evening shows. Don't miss the Epcot fireworks or Fantasmic at MGM, tip for Epcot, try and book an evening meal at the pub in the British part of the World tour, as you can see the fireworks from a special viewing platform.

Depending on the age of children involved, Universal can have more appeal, you could try a 4 day for there. We did Kennedy last time - fantastic day out, but very, very windy - be warned!

Any more advice, I'm happy to share from our experiences! You'll have a great time, I'm very envious especially as this is exactly the sort of time we've been before as well.

We're going next Friday am

Do I buy Disney tickets on-line or over there and if so over there at Disney or somewhere else ? I want either 10 or 14 day all Disney attraction tickets. Giving Universal a miss purely as I figure we'll have enough on our plates with just Disney, though my son also wants to go to Kennedy Space Centre

All useful advice much appreciated. Cheers

How old is your son?
Where are you staying?

ORM,

Really jealous, been three times and I love it, last time being for our honeymoon last year.

We have always bought our tickets in advance from here: http://www.attraction-tickets-direct.co.uk/

They normally have some offers on so you get extra days or passes and they have always been cheaper than buying out there and the tickets come recorded delivery so you should get them before you go.

One thing I would recommend is Discovery Cove where you can swim with dolphins. They only let 1,000 people in a day but you have to pre-book. It was good value as it also included free food a drink whilst there and also an evening meal. It was my birthday whilst we were out there so we did this for it. Simply brilliant!

Not sure where you are staying but we stayed in a Disney resort and the transport system was amazing. The buses were so convenient and we saved a fortune in parking fees at the parks (we had a car also). Little tip, if you drove to Downtown Disney, and leave you car there, you can get on the buses to go to the parks - no one ever asks for proof that you are staying at the hotels.

Also highly recommend Cirque du Soleil show at Downtown Disney. Was a bit pricey but it is possibly the best show I have ever seen - and loads of family orientated restaurants in that area.

Gotta go now but if you need any other advice then let me know!

Scriv

One thing to be careful of are the supposed cheap tickets on sale over there which are just a front to get you to waste your time at Timeshare sales pitch.

What accommodation have you booked? As the villa we got the owner sorted us out the tickets at better price than I could get in the UK.

The first time I went was asked to partake in a survey that would take 90mins of my time in a venue in Animal Kingdom, but they would compensate me for it. Anyway at 2pm I went to the place, unfortunately only 1 other person turned up so they could not do it, but they still compensated us which was $100 Mickey dollars each, so I took Jess to have dinner at the French Restaurant in Epcot, which was a nice touch. Isnt the pub called the Rose and Crown and server Harry Ramsden fish & chips, and on Sunday does the Sunday Roast for lunch. I love the fact they also sell Snakebites in there.

Yes, the pub is the Rose and Crown, and the food was excellent - and it was nice to have some proper British ale too! I loved it all out there and much preferred Disney to Universal myself but I know friends with more adventurous kids prefer Universal. You ougt to take a day to visit one of the Disney water parks too, we did Typhoon Lagoon which was great, there's also Sea World - Shamu is a must.

Accomodation for a pittance as I own holiday exchange - once known as timeshare but I know this one is good as Linda Robson from Birds of a Feather uses it :p (my wife said she was very nice). The Americans love the UK so I can exchange one peak week here (I have two) for three in the US (or anywhere in fact).

Keep the tips coming please - ALL highly useful as are any hints for car hire. I'm flying Virgin and am just tempted to car hire Virgin just to get that one ticked off.

I've done a fair bit of research and intend to spend more time in the water parks than Magic/Animal Kingdom. No doubt I'll be losing that argument :D

Staying at the following if it helps - seems central enough to me
Westgate Blue Tree
12007 Cypress Run Road

Last edited:
You can do all the Disney parks except Magic Kingdom in one day, be selective though and use the transport systems. We found Epcot the best place to use for accessing Magic Kingdom as it's the quietest of the Disney ones to park at and you can just get on the monorail to Magic Kingdom from there. With most of the parks, you're best to start from the back of the park and work forward, picking up Fastpasses on the way through.

You still haven't said how old your youngster/s is/are - so much depends on that.

We booked car hire in advance andpicked upand dropped off at the airport, far and away most convenient. Keep some loose change in the car for the tolls, and get yourself a map asap! The road system is quite easy once you get to grips with it - try and avoid the interstate if you can, but do use the toll roads, they're very quick and don't cost much (a dollar I think last time in the main).

Whoops - Son 13 Daughter 10 - I have had full training on best use of the fastpass system :D but using Epcot to park and get to Magic Kingdom is a great tip.

I will pick up the rest of the tips when I return from buying my holiday speedos (no I'm not serious on that one !)

Tony,

I been there twice, and tend to agree with OBL that a 7 day Disney Pass would probably suffice. Epcot is a must, as are the Parades at all the parks. If you work it out right you can get to see all of them. It just amazes me the amount of work they put into these. And again as OBL said Fantasmic at MGM is a must, but get there early otherwise you won't get in.
And if your into motorsport, don't forget to drop in at the Disney Raceway. You can park up & have a look round, we were lucky as when we were there they were testing a couple of Nascars.
If you do Animal Kingdom make sure you get there when it opens and head straight for the Safari and do that first, as all the animals go into hiding later in the day.

I would recommend SeaWorld (purely for the free Budweiser & associated brews :slurp:), but also both time I have beem there previously upon entry we were given another day pass free.

Also if you get the time (I would make the time !!!) drive down to Busch Gardens in Tampa. It's about a 2 hour drive but well worth it. A fine mixture of rides (including a traditional wooden rollercoaster), plus an animal park, and did I mention the free Bud :slurp:

As for Universal, we did it the first time we went, but gave it a miss the second time. Worth doing if not done before, but probably wouldn't do it again.

Hope you are as lucky as we were when we went to Kennedy, we were actually there for a Shuttle Launch. I never seen or heard anything like that in my life. Truly amazing.

We got our tickets through the people we hired our Villa from (they were from Rochford). All our tickets were in the villa when we arrived, it was so easy and they were a good price.

We hired our car independantly from a local (to the airport) hire company as it was cheaper at the time.

Well in that case, there is a lot of Magic Kingdom you won't want - but still go, pick your rides - Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain etc, and you have to see a parade - go for the night time one with kids that age. They will enjoy Animal Kingdom too and I would certainly think about Universal and Islands of Adventure, Universal probably the best one for that age group.

They'll probably quite enjoy Epcot too, it's fascinating and definately the quietest one. One health tip, there will be some nasty biting things around so make sure you have anti histamines, we picked up some calamine spray made by Johnson and Johnson (Band Aid) from Wal Mart which was great for that and sunburn.

We went just over a year ago with the kids and I also went nearly 20 years ago when I was a kid myself. I haven't got much to add to what great tips have been given already except to say try to find time for a day at Sea World - we loved it there!

Well in that case, there is a lot of Magic Kingdom you won't want - but still go, pick your rides - Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain etc, and you have to see a parade - go for the night time one with kids that age. They will enjoy Animal Kingdom too and I would certainly think about Universal and Islands of Adventure, Universal probably the best one for that age group.

They'll probably quite enjoy Epcot too, it's fascinating and definately the quietest one. One health tip, there will be some nasty biting things around so make sure you have anti histamines, we picked up some calamine spray made by Johnson and Johnson (Band Aid) from Wal Mart which was great for that and sunburn.

And don't forget when you pick up your bug sprays and groceries that you can also buy your Colt 45 and a 12" Bowie Knife in the same store :scared:

We did the fly and drive with Virgin the last two times we went and it was an excellent service for a good price. Would recommend that.

Going back to the Discovery Cove thing they also give you a free ticket to either Sea World or Aquatica (water fun park) so that was an added bonus.

If you do Sea World then make sure you go a bit later and do the evening showing of Shamu does America. Really good.

Also I agree a 7 day pass for Disney is easily enough. I wouldn't discount Universal either as there are some great rides there - Men In Black and the Simpsons are worth it alone.

Also if you are a rollercoaster junky like me then Island's of Adventure is a must!

I went a couple of years ago, would say the highlight of Disney for me was Cirque de Soleil and I cared more for the Universal stuff. But I guess the kiddies would enjoy Disney more.

Definitely worth sorting tickets over here before you go, we went over without tickets and spent a few hours on the 2nd day going round getting quotes etc, in hindisght we'd have been better off sorting it out early doors.

Been twice - Would say buy tickets upfront as saves you hassle while your out there and you can often cut out a bit of cost from the middle man.

That said if you cant then dont worry as loads of places you can get them.

Epcot I think it boring as ****. Honestly it pretty dull. That said went when I was 11 (I am now 29) so could be talking out my arse. Went back to Florida with the ex-Mrs DtS a few years ago and did the space centre which was excellent.

As a side line the Gator parks are ok too. One other thing we found out too late is there is an excellent bus service from all the main parks to the hotels. Dirt cheap and runs all night if you dont have a car. Taxis can work out quite expensive.

Would also recommend Wet and Wild water park as long as it warm enough and the Sea Life centre is good for a change.

Enjoy

Epcot I think it boring as ****. Honestly it pretty dull. That said went when I was 11 (I am now 29) so could be talking out my arse. Went back to Florida with the ex-Mrs DtS a few years ago and did the space centre which was excellent.

As a side line the Gator parks are ok too. One other thing we found out too late is there is an excellent bus service from all the main parks to the hotels. Dirt cheap and runs all night if you dont have a car. Taxis can work out quite expensive.

Would also recommend Wet and Wild water park as long as it warm enough and the Sea Life centre is good for a change.

Enjoy

Yep Wet n Wild was awesome, i preferred it to the Disney water parks. I understand there is also a new Waterpark by Seaworld called Aquatica.

I thought Epcot was gubbins as well, the bit with all the different countries was laughable. Every racial stereotype being milked for all its worth, nothing like a bit of good old fashioned Disney racism.

Oh it's warm enough :D

Damn, back to the drawing board now. :p Disney passes, Universal passes, Busch gardens. Bugger it I think I'll hire a sunbed and take the kids down Adventure Island, much less stressful. :cricko:

Ok I know what I'll be doing tomorrow afternoon - websurfing again.

I had a right old whinge about this place last week but there are times like this when I wouldn't be without it. Thanks to everyone :clap:

Actually I do have another question - presumably I can spread a 7 day pass over 14 days ?

No, not from memory, it's 7 consecutive days. Ignore them about Epcot, they're being cynical. My kids had been before at a younger age and enjoyed it more the second time (at similar ages to yours) as they understood more of the simulation things. The world showcase is very stereotyped, but it's still worth doing - Maelstrom in Norway is worth doing anyway, and there's some decent eating places there as well when you're fed up with Disney fare.

Back