• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Diving bans: Football Association expected to approve retrospective action

Sussex Shrimper

Manager
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39962886

Long overdue as far as I'm concerned. Name 'em and shame 'em, assuming that the latter is actually possible. Hopefully as this progresses previous suspensions will be considered when meting out new ones, and repeat offenders will rapidly reach a point where the punishment outweighs the reward.

Good news, but it seems strange that the FA need agreement from the EPL and EFL to implement this. I thought the FA made the rules.

Either way, I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I read this as "Driving Bans..." and was wondering why we have the right to know which players are currently banned from driving! I think I need to see an optician...or learn to read.

Great news, this should have happened years ago.

Just seen on Sky Sports News, that it has been passed from the FA.

It would seem that it will be similar to what the Scottish FA currently use. So if a player is reported to found guilty of diving from the the match official say, on a Saturday, on Monday it will be reviewed by a 3 man board consisting of a retired manager, a retired player and a retired referee. If found guilty by a unanimous decision, the player will receive a 2 match ban.

I wonder what action the FA would take in terms of a points deduction (probably nothing). Say a Millwall player cheats against us and takes a dive in the box when the score is 1-1, he is then awarded a penalty, which he scores and subsequently win the match 2-1,..... he is then later found guilty by the board for diving. Surely it would be fair to adjust the points & goal difference to reflect the correct result.
I think its most likely they will treat it in the same manner as they currently do with off side goals.

Last edited:
Great news, this should have happened years ago.

Just seen on Sky Sports News, that it has been passed from the FA.

It would seem that it will be similar to what the Scottish FA currently use. So if a player is reported to found guilty of diving from the the match official say, on a Saturday, on Monday it will be reviewed by a 3 man board consisting of a retired manager, a retired player and a retired referee. If found guilty by a unanimous decision, the player will receive a 2 match ban.

I wonder what action the FA would take in terms of a points deduction (probably nothing). Say a Millwall player cheats against us and takes a dive in the box when the score is 1-1, he is then awarded a penalty, which he scores and subsequently win the match 2-1,..... he is then later found guilty by the board for diving. Surely it would be fair to adjust the points & goal difference to reflect the correct result.
I think its most likely they will treat it in the same manner as they currently do with off side goals.

I wouldn't expect the FA to start intervening and changing results. Every bit of foul play is an injustice to some degree, you just hope that when things get to the point where the integrity and reputation of the game is compromised that those in charge will take decisive action. While the FA haven't exactly acted with alacrity in relation to diving I really do hope that this starts to clean things up.

Does anybody follow Scottish football closely enough to comment on the effectiveness of the change up there?

londonblue said:
Good news, but it seems strange that the FA need agreement from the EPL and EFL to implement this. I thought the FA made the rules.

Either way, I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I read this as "Driving Bans..." and was wondering why we have the right to know which players are currently banned from driving! I think I need to see an optician...or learn to read.
You weren't the only one...:blush:

I wouldn't worry, guys. When Ashley Young was given a driving ban a while back, I read it as 'diving'.

Back