• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Right then, unfortunately I've been roped into some ongoing DIY projects around the house (and as I've posted before this is in no way my strong point).

1) I hired a steam wallpaper stripper last weekend and got all the paper off the 2 bathrooms we're doing up, however as the head of the steamer was too big to fit the wall on one side of the toilet pan, has anybody got any handy tips to remove the remnants of wallpaper & paste that are still on the wall before the Mrs paints it?

2) Again, after stripping the paper some of the paint/plaster underneath has come away in patches, we thought it would be just a case of getting some wall-filler and plugging the gaps, however this has caused issues when the paint goes on (even though the finish appears smooth to the original wall).

3) The father-in-law put up a border in another room, but obviously had issues while he was doing this as there's a smear of paste on my freshly painted wall. Can I just try & sponge this off with hot water or will this spread the problem? It might be worth pointing out in this case, we just decided to paint over the existing wallpaper. Didn't think it fair to point it out to him that we'd noticed this mark as the border job seemed like a total nightmare and he did it with no real moaning.

Any help much appreciated! Ta.

1) Squairt cold water on it and let it soak
2) Filler should be fine. Maybe you need to sand it down better
3) If its a water based glue just wash it off with cold water

Fit a 20w light bulb in the room and keep the curtains closed. You wont notice the blemishes then

1) Squairt cold water on it and let it soak
2) Filler should be fine. Maybe you need to sand it down better
3) If its a water based glue just wash it off with cold water

1) How will cold water help?
2) I've project managed this task & decided to allocate it to the Mrs so if it goes wrong it's her fault :D
3) I'll try that!

Cheers!

2. Fill, sand, then apply your watered down mis-coat. Fill and sand again then apply another coat of paint. Repeat until a decent finish is achieved. It takes a while but is the best way to achieve a pro finish.

I can recommend Gyprock jointing compound as an excellent filler that is easy to sand. Polyfilla etc. is very hard work to sand.

1. score paper with a knife/sandpaper or some of your wifes bush hair so the surface is roughed up,then soak with soapy water,i.e. water with fairy liquid in it

1. score paper with a knife/sandpaper or some of your wifes bush hair so the surface is roughed up,then soak with soapy water,i.e. water with fairy liquid in it

The paper's off though, it's just annoying little pieces of the back of the paper that tore as it came off.

soak them and sponge them off

Polyfilla do a premixed plaster repair and and a skim plaster which might add to the finish.

Otherwise just use a base paper then paint over that

true, missed the bathroom bit.

Hang a mirror over the wonky bit

Wish I could, it's the corner of the room next to the window so not really an option!

That's what I get for moving into an ex showhome where the so-called state of the art decoration leaves a lot to be desired when you examine it closely, I mean I ask you, who thinks wallpaper and carpet in a bathroom is hygienic & actually looks good?

Back