• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DIY help

Pubey

I'm moving out my current flat in a couple of weeks and obviously everyone has to be in working order. unfortunately the other day i hit my floor lamp on the base with a football and it died. I've tried changing the lamp, checked the fuse and tried it in other sockets but nothing has got it working

it looks like this (but not exactly the same)

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0260098

I think it's probably worth about 30quid and they may not even notice it's broken, but if anyone has any ideas on why it's not working then that would be great. i might get another bulb to check it with... but otherwise there doesn't seem to be any fundamental damage, it all looks ok

any electricians on here?!

Difficult to say without it in front of me. I'd imagine it's either connections come loose from the switch or bulb holder, or the switch itself has broken. Not really a lot else that can go wrong.

Last edited:
Difficult to say without it in front of me. I'd imagine it's either connections come loose from the switch or bulb holder, or the switch itself has broken.

cheers mate yeah i've checked the switch and the holder looks ok too. bit weird to be honest and i don't really want to get stung for it. when my dad comes up i'll get him to take a look.

I'd burn the place out and blame it on the faulty lamp.

Don't forget to tell your insurance company about your collection of Faberge eggs and Damien Hirst skulls.

Last edited:
If the lamp was on when it got a knock, its the bulb , when lit the filaments are a tad fragile, Change the bulb first.....

like i said i have changed it but the new one could be a dud... so i'll change it again

If the lamp was on when it got a knock, its the bulb , when lit the filaments are a tad fragile, Change the bulb first.....

I assumed he had already checked the bulb before posting on an internet forum.

Check the bulb before you put a match to the place.

like i said i have changed it but the new one could be a dud... so i'll change it again

John.

I doubt it is the bulb, i have had that happen to me 3 times in the last year and it was not the bulb or the fuse, checked connections but could not be bothered to afford to much time to it and just brought new ones.

The lamp is deceased....it is dead, it has gone to Lamp heaven.

John.

I doubt it is the bulb, i have had that happen to me 3 times in the last year and it was not the bulb or the fuse, checked connections but could not be bothered to afford to much time to it and just brought new ones.

The lamp is deceased....it is dead, it has gone to Lamp heaven.

.........:'(

Back