• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DIY help

MK Shrimper

Striker
Has anyone descaled their central heating system? Mine suffers from terrible banging and clanking and looking online, it maybe that the gasses produced from the limescale is the answer. I'm a bit crap at DIY (well apart from electrics!) and any advice would be appreciated.

I have a combination boiler (if that makes any odds)

have you first checked for air in the system? bleed a couple of rads to check.

(that's the limit of my ability with central heating!)

Has anyone descaled their central heating system? Mine suffers from terrible banging and clanking and looking online, it maybe that the gasses produced from the limescale is the answer. I'm a bit crap at DIY (well apart from electrics!) and any advice would be appreciated.

I have a combination boiler (if that makes any odds)
A combi boiler....ARRRRRRRRRRR Plumbers worse nightmare mate, we have one as well.

Do you know a plumber or have one who has done any work for you in the past? Sounds like a job for a pro Paul.

No, don't know any. Doesn't look that tough - bleed the system, leave the chemicals in for a few days and then flush through. I think I may have to seek professional help!

If it is a combi boiler check the pressure in your system as well. You may need to top it up.

There should be a pressure guage on your boiler, check the manual for the correct pressure range.

Some boilers (My Worcester Bosch one does at least) have a valve on them that let you top up the system from the mains. others you have to connect a hose to the system and fill it.

You will also need to bleed all your rads as well.

If it is a combi boiler check the pressure in your system as well. You may need to top it up.

There should be a pressure guage on your boiler, check the manual for the correct pressure range.

Some boilers (My Worcester Bosch one does at least) have a valve on them that let you top up the system from the mains. others you have to connect a hose to the system and fill it.

You will also need to bleed all your rads as well.

I have to top ours up regularly as the pressure drops over the period of about a month, I just keep and eye on the gauge and turn the tap on until it is back to where it should be.

Paul, I will ask my brother in-law tonight, he has his own plumbing company.

Also, if you are going to do the job properly disappear around 10am 'to get some parts' and return an hour and a half later with egg yolk down your top.

I have to top ours up regularly as the pressure drops over the period of about a month, I just keep and eye on the gauge and turn the tap on until it is back to where it should be.

Paul, I will ask my brother in-law tonight, he has his own plumbing company.

Ah thanks mate....if he fancies coming to MK to have a look I'll buy him a pint ;)

surely if you have limescale problems in your pipes etc, you can just pop a spoonful of calgon in?

It can only be one of the two things already mentioned...air or it needs topping up.The pressure gauge should read at least 1.5 Paul , but I always top them up to 2.

It can only be one of the two things already mentioned...air or it needs topping up.The pressure gauge should read at least 1.5 Paul , but I always top them up to 2.

you nutter!

2517137544_4d9c0897a2.jpg

I shall have a look when I get home. Have you never drained a system due to sludge caused by hard water?

Central Heating lives longer with Calgon.... doesn't really scan does it?

i tried telling the advertising company the same thing!

I agree with Cricko, my pressure is usually between 1.5 and 2.

Of course, if you bleed your system, always remember to re-top the pressure after

Ah thanks mate....if he fancies coming to MK to have a look I'll buy him a pint ;)

have you thought about getting Central Heating Cover? our energy provider supplies us and the deals brand new really about £14 a month and taht covers the lot plus yearly inspection, on a personnal note obvioulsy I am hoping you attempt to do the work yourself and make a right feking balls up of it that costs you a few quid ;)

have you thought about getting Central Heating Cover? our energy provider supplies us and the deals brand new really about £14 a month and taht covers the lot plus yearly inspection, on a personnal note obvioulsy I am hoping you attempt to do the work yourself and make a right feking balls up of it that costs you a few quid ;)

Lol, thanks Andy! Yeah, have cover via my bank account, but it's only for breakdown. Fortunately it works, but it's like someone bashing the crap out of saucepan lids when it first comes on which isn't great in the winter mornings.

Back