• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
I am redecorating the house at the moment so thought I would start a thread to share collective knowledge.....

Cover your roller tray with a plastic bag before filling with paint. That way you don't have to wash it up when you are done....

I am redecorating the house at the moment so thought I would start a thread to share collective knowledge.....

Cover your roller tray with a plastic bag before filling with paint. That way you don't have to wash it up when you are done....

If there is a choice of 'quick drying' 'doesn't need undercoat ' etc paint or 'normal' , buy the normal. Think of it logically , if the 'special ' paint was as good as the normal, then why would they bother with the normal when its the same price .primer. Also , put your roller on the end of a boom handle - took me years to try that obvious one , could't believe how much easier it made things. and don't paint around switches, it will look crap for the sake of saving a few minutes taking them off and masking them.

And of course the best piece of advise

Rag rolling is a thing of the past. Try creating a fantastic look on freshly painted walls by dabbing them with the downy soft feathers of a freshly hatched baby starling. There is also a never ending supply of this fabulous free product

Also a victory for all you eco warriors as you can release said bird when you are done and it will also brighten up the local wildlife population

how about you can afford it , but they wont do a better job than you can do yourself , or you like to look and say 'I did that' :winking:

Yes, yes they can. Not bad at hanging wallpaper but even when I paint it gets everywhere :smile:

Yes, yes they can. Not bad at hanging wallpaper but even when I paint it gets everywhere :smile:

a pro will not do a better job than I can do myself, I know that through looking at my work vs the work of professionals. What they can do , is achieve that level of finish far quicker than I could dream off

You can get plastic throw away inserts for your roller trays now, 5 for a quid or something minimal - a great idea!

You can get plastic throw away inserts for your roller trays now, 5 for a quid or something minimal - a great idea!
Not required OBL. You can buy a roller and a tray for a few quid. After youve done the first coat leave some paint in the tray along with the roller. Then put the whole lot in a black sack and fold the end over.
The roller will still be ok when you do the next coat. When youve finished just bin it.

If your fitting a new bath and it's a plastic type,fill the bath up when you seal it with silicone mastic and leave till cured, then release water,this will stop the sealant de-bonding.

If you are fly tipping an old fridge fill it up with any building waste/old paint tins to save yourself two trips.

If your fitting a new bath and it's a plastic type,fill the bath up when you seal it with silicone mastic and leave till cured, then release water,this will stop the sealant de-bonding.

Masticing is one skill I wish I was better at.

If you are filling in your fish pond, which was 3mx2mx1m throw all the old junk you've got in it. Start think of each item you put in and how much in value that would represent in type 1 MOT that you wont have to buy (and barrow it round the back).

Examples:
VHS Recorder 1.25
Tool box 4.50
Old Pond filter 6.00
Wheelie Bin 10.00

When the kitchen sink is blocked and you take off the u-bend to unblock it, drain the water into a bucket.
DO NOT stand up triumphantly and pour the contents of the bucket down the sink before you have refitted the u-bend.

When the kitchen sink is blocked and you take off the u-bend to unblock it, drain the water into a bucket.
DO NOT stand up triumphantly and pour the contents of the bucket down the sink before you have refitted the u-bend.

Sounds to me like that is the voice of experience speaking!!! :whistling:

Sounds to me like that is the voice of experience speaking!!! :whistling:

Yep...and ive got another hot one..........

When installing a new light fixing in the dining room, make a hole in the ceiling where you want the light to go then poke a long screwdriver through the hole. Send the wife up to the loft to see how far away you are from being able to screw directly into a joist.

Warning. This tip doesn't work if you live in a two storey house.

Yep...and ive got another hot one..........

When installing a new light fixing in the dining room, make a hole in the ceiling where you want the light to go then poke a long screwdriver through the hole. Send the wife up to the loft to see how far away you are from being able to screw directly into a joist.

Warning. This tip doesn't work if you live in a two storey house.

If you can get into the loft then just stick a noggin of wood between the joists and then screw into that.

When drilling into a wall, stick a postit underneath and fold the bottom half up, then it'll catch the majority of dust.

If you can get into the loft then just stick a noggin of wood between the joists and then screw into that.

Yes that was the plan. However, and i really for the life of me cant think why, but the dining room was downstairs and the loft was obviously above the upstairs. Only took us about 15 minutes to work out why we couldnt see the screwdriver.

Yes that was the plan. However, and i really for the life of me cant think why, but the dining room was downstairs and the loft was obviously above the upstairs. Only took us about 15 minutes to work out why we couldnt see the screwdriver.

Your problem was your screwdriver wasn't long enough. :smile:

Back