• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Maybe I am getting old, well I am, but it seems to me the youth of today do not have the same passion for our club as us oldies do and The Zone ...I guess times have changed and there is a new world out there with social media filling up every crevice in peoples lives.

There is no guessing anymore it is momentary until we all see it online.... Of course The Zone was instrumental in all this years ago.

We built a community with 5 football teams including Jackie Smiths (Tinks) ladies team.

We had a Zone shop once where we would sell mugs t-shirts etc.

We arranged meet ups at The Spread every week and car park Zone parties.

Have we all gone past that?..surely there is another era of members to take us forward.

The Zone will always survive, but new ideas are always welcome, x

I guess the bottom Line is WE oldies built The Zone for you.

The Zone community is not as it was, it doesn't have the same connection that there used to be here. However, I appreciate it was different when I joined to what it was when it formed so it does evolve, maybe that is just taking it in a different direction again now.

I lost count of the number of cakes I used to make for Zone meet ups - including about 120 desserts for that 24 hour football marathon at Chase!

It does seem that a lot of the younger supporters just follow on Twitter and Instagram and many of them like trying to point score to impress their mates - the keyboard warriors are particularly rife in the 17 - 19 year age group.

Having been in the middle for many of the Zone games including finals, I guess its a sign of the times, people move on and others don't won't to come in and take over
there have been too many people upset by certain posters on here and I have to say there are certain administrators on here who act like the SS and will block you or bar you for farting out of line and this drives people away

Times have changed from 2007 - good times with Tilly, we were all younger and not lumbered with offspring!

My son once asked "Is that facebook for old people?"
I do still talk to him but can't really undertstand what His reply is as He's a teenager!

Having been in the middle for many of the Zone games including finals, I guess its a sign of the times, people move on and others don't won't to come in and take over
there have been too many people upset by certain posters on here and I have to say there are certain administrators on here who act like the SS and will block you or bar you for farting out of line and this drives people away

Apart from your posts,which are riddled with viruses, certain posters is the normal cliche of total bollocks and opinions,we love that, , have you anything to substantiate your wisdom of knocking the guys who run this site?

My son once asked "Is that facebook for old people?"
I do still talk to him but can't really undertstand what His reply is as He's a teenager!

This is pretty much it. Facebook encompasses so much of the internet at this point that many people won't be aware that forums (for virtually any topic) even exist. Forums are still the best place to learn about and through the experience of others.

• Regarding a zone shop: young people don't have any old money
  • Regarding zone meetups: you're never separated from your friends because of your phone
  • Regarding who built the zone for who: you built it for yourselves and others found a part of themselves in it.

Ten years ago as a casual viewer of the zone...i stumbled across the SZFC section...messaged about training etc and I managed to squeeze a couple of promotions and cup finals out of my old legs. Getting to know those guys and many with in the SZ community was brilliant..this of course led me to the TZ coaches and getting to know the great people involved there. It certainly does seem to be a different vibe nowadays but we still all share a love of SUFC. And I see plenty of passion from youngsters at games.

Apart from your posts,which are riddled with viruses, certain posters is the normal cliche of total bollocks and opinions,we love that, , have you anything to substantiate your wisdom of knocking the guys who run this site?

I'm afraid I had to come back in as a new user so all the emails and bans I received from Jam man was wiped off, it appeared that what ever I would right or argue about with someone caused me all sorts of issues including a ban that would not allow me to even post........

I guess times don't change that much. We always have core supporters and others that get seduced by good play and success. The latter points probably highlighting the reason as to why we are not attractive to much of the younger element currently. I dare say that very few newbies, to matches this season, have been chomping at the bit to return.

You think it's hard getting young people engaged with a message board, try getting them to understand what a fanzine is :smile::smile:

You think it's hard getting young people engaged with a message board, try getting them to understand what a fanzine is :smile::smile:

One of the Bradford fans bought one and said "Excellent! That's real football!".

At the ripe old age of 24, I think Mrs Ross would strongly disagree that the passion for SUFC has gone, I eat sleep and breathe SUFC and i'm gutted that I missed the days of SZFC and meet ups in the spread, after all I like to put a face to a name!

My kids are just starting to get to the age where they want to be involved with football too, and I think next season will be the junior blues sign up, and well for me, I'd be looking for any excuse to get down the pub to go for a social!

If you're worried about the oldies, cant you start up a SZ Boules club? :winking:

I recall a similar discussion on the old Yahoo list when the bulk of the membership drifted onto here c 2002-3.

I do wonder if there is a different breed / generation of football fans now. Those brought up on big money, premiership football seem to have little interest in anything other than instant success, instant gratification, total entertainment , with little concept (or even acceptance ) of tradition and history.
You only need to look at the Harry Kane record breaker stuff, he got something lie 30 less (in all competitions) than Dixie Dean did !! (without any European competition)

At the ripe old age of 24, I think Mrs Ross would strongly disagree that the passion for SUFC has gone, I eat sleep and breathe SUFC and i'm gutted that I missed the days of SZFC and meet ups in the spread, after all I like to put a face to a name!

My kids are just starting to get to the age where they want to be involved with football too, and I think next season will be the junior blues sign up, and well for me, I'd be looking for any excuse to get down the pub to go for a social!

If you're worried about the oldies, cant you start up a SZ Boules club? :winking:

Don't you worry about us oldies. We can still teach the young ones a trick or two! We may well start a Boules club but it will only be a cover for our true antics. God, I am almost out of breath typing such bravado. Complan and an early night for me!

Back