• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do those Shrimpers who object to the ground want to be in the CCC?

Jam_Man

Life President
We know there are a small number of fans who oppose the move to the new ground which isnt surprising in itself.

I was thinking about this after the game and wondered why the same people who dont want a new ground are also screaming blue murder when we arent doing so well on the pitch at this level ?

My view is that we are a league one level club at the moment with current attendances of 9-10,000 and as such cant expect to survive in the championship for long with our current resources.

Why is it then that people who want to stay at Roots Hall expect us to be doing well and get annoyed that we may end up back in League one, which after all with Roots Hall is the natural level ?

If these people are so passionate about staying in this division, or returning to it why arent they getting behind the ground to ensure we have resources to be able to do it ?

Discuss....

I'd rather survive for the next century than be forced to move to a new ground in League One.

I'd like to see a breakdown of all pros and cons for the new stadium.

How would moving stadiums mean we wouldnt survive ? Surely the extra revenue from the other projects are what will ensure survival for the next century ?

Surely the aim of any team is to develop, and is it therefore the objectors view that they are happy to stay in League one indefinitely ?

I dont see the point in supporting a club long term if you just accept we will never develop.

I think Steve Tilson summed up the current situation on friday when he spoke about the difficulty of attracting players to the club because of the 'low' wages we pay compared to the average championship salary. Until we are housed in a modern larger stadium and attracting bigger support, which will happen even if we are in the 1st division for the first 2 seasons at the new stadium, we cannot compete financially at this level. So any fans who want us to stay at Roots Hall for whatever reasons, near to pubs, fish shop, bus stops etc, or just sentimental value obviously relishes the prospect of playing the likes of Bradford, Carlisle and Tranmere for ever more.

Thats my point exactly, are these objectors actually happy to settle for league one level ?

I want to see Southend United move on and hopefully establish as a CCC club, yet I dont see this possible at Roots Hall....

A very good point Jam Man and I await the replies with interest.

What worries me personally is that just perhaps this Wednesday's & Thursday's decisions by the Councils will in some way be influenced by the fact that there is a very good chance we are going to find ourselves back in League 1 next season and any decision to defer the proposals will be based on just such an outcome.
It would certainly add weight to all those striving to get the development rejected as without doubt they would then all be trotting out the 'What's the point of a 22,000 seater with 8,000 supporters' argument but totally ignoring the 'build for the future' one.

It's certainly true that without Fossets Farm our beloved club will never, ever attain the goals and dreams that Ron Martin and the vast majority of supporters have for our club.

Thats my point exactly, are these objectors actually happy to settle for league one level ?

I want to see Southend United move on and hopefully establish as a CCC club, yet I dont see this possible at Roots Hall....

I don't think the majority are simply content to see us languishing in League One, they simply don't want to leave Roots Hall / aren't happy with the plans for whatever reason.

The fact remains however that to move forward, we need to move to the new stadium in order to generate the extra revenue that is required for the team to develop in order to achieve further successes and begin challenging for the Championship.

And I think anyone in their right mind would agree that you can't have one without the other.
You can either embrace the new stadium plans and all that goes with it and accept it's the only way forward for the club or you can reject it, want to stay at Roots Hall, and be happy with League 1 or perhaps League 2 football for many years to come.
There is no halfway house on this. It's one or the other.

for anyone brought up on football at Roots Hall there is going to be a tremendous emotional wrench - its a great little football ground.

and anyone brought up in the real world will be sceptical about promises from
a businessman - things change.

I don't have any answers - but I can understand the hesistancy - if only on sentimental grounds of those who want to resist a move.

No, i don't want to be in the CCC if it means the death of this club..

No, i don't want to be in the CCC if it means the death of this club..

Surely a new ground will mean the continued survival of the club ?

The whole point is to allow the club to be financially better off and not 100% reliant on football.

Elaborate ...

I will keep saying it again and again for the likes of you and others who never seem to take it in.

We will be relegated this season, yes? We are only going for a new stadium (again) due to the success in the last two years...

so, we will have a brand spanking new ugly box type stadium , where you will have to remain seated for the game, not sing, no verbal abuse etc etc..
happy clappy, and face paint. Not what football is about.

We have plastic fans at the moment, barnsley home and away in the cup shows that. we will play against walsall, bristol city etc etc.. in front of 5,000 on a saturday, maybe 3 on a tuesday..

the most depressing thing, will be.. we will still be paying for it. In debt already, soon to be more in debt. Save roots hall, the true home of SUFC. Where we belong.

We are southend united, not chelsea. We do not need a new stadium...

i haven't enjoyed 1 away game this season, because they are all box type stadiums.. no atmosphere, no life.

The death of SUFC.. you hear me?

So essentially you are happy for the club to go back to 4,000 attendances and sit in league one/two and be a smaller club than Col U ?

If thats the case fine.

My point is that I dont see why people are frustrated at not being able to compete at this level when they are happy to be in league one/two.

Personally Id like Southend to be the biggest club it can be, I can see that we could get crowds of 15-18,0000 in the future, albeit with a lot of work.

Id like the club to strive for that rather than just sit here and be happy with mid table in league one of the next 30 years.

J,

If we get relaegated as you seem so certain about and we end up staying at Roots Hall, how will we survive then?

We have been doing that for the best part of 100 years and have NEVER been in a position to financialy compete with any team as the income just isn't there. Regardless of whether we get relagated or not if we stay at Roots Hall we are doomed financialy be cause Ron Martin/SEL/A.N.Other will not plough money into a lost cause forever!

We need the additional income from the new development to survive which is the crucial part of the plans rather than the new stadium itself

Not enjoyed oneaway game? What about the two at Leeds - fabulous atmospheres....

A new stadium may not be the be all and end all but it will certainly give us options.

I can see where CSJ is coming from. We don't have a lot of supporters, most people in Essex support Liverpool for some reason. We will look very silly in League One with the 4,500 hardcore sat in a desolate, but very pretty stadium.

That said, we're never going to survive at this level at Roots Hall. We are still essentially a fourth division football club.

Credit to the board for taking a chance and trying to make something of the club, they've got my cautious support, but let's not let optimism blind us to the drawbacks.

I will keep saying it again and again for the likes of you and others who never seem to take it in.

We will be relegated this season, yes? We are only going for a new stadium (again) due to the success in the last two years...

so, we will have a brand spanking new ugly box type stadium , where you will have to remain seated for the game, not sing, no verbal abuse etc etc..
happy clappy, and face paint. Not what football is about.

We have plastic fans at the moment, barnsley home and away in the cup shows that. we will play against walsall, bristol city etc etc.. in front of 5,000 on a saturday, maybe 3 on a tuesday..

the most depressing thing, will be.. we will still be paying for it. In debt already, soon to be more in debt. Save roots hall, the true home of SUFC. Where we belong.

We are southend united, not chelsea. We do not need a new stadium...

i haven't enjoyed 1 away game this season, because they are all box type stadiums.. no atmosphere, no life.

The death of SUFC.. you hear me?

Ugly box :D

Not sing :D

Only going for a new stadium because of the last two years success? Strange that, I remember Ron talking about it long before either of our two promotions.

Times change, football changes, and clubs that want to succeed have to change and adapt otherwise it's stagnation all the way. If your happy with that then fine but I for one am not. I want this club to be as successful as it possibly can be.

Knock knock James, real world calling ;)

I can see where CSJ is coming from. We don't have a lot of supporters, most people in Essex support Liverpool for some reason. We will look very silly in League One with the 4,500 hardcore sat in a desolate, but very pretty stadium.

We now get 9,000 at Roots Hall, we can keep on harping about not all 9000 are hardcore, but yet they are there week in week out.

Yes some might disappear after relegation, but how many would stay if there was a new ground ? How many more would come just because of the new stadium, even in league one ? How many supporters who have started coming in the last few years will now become "hardcore" ?

Success on the pitch does equate to more supporters, however a new ground can do that as well.

I see no possibility whatsover of 4,500 in Fossetts Farm, even if we are in League one I reckong we would get 8000-10,000 minimum.

I agree it would be embarrassing to have a really empty stadium, but if we had 10,000 + then thats a good base to work on.

Back