• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do we expect too much from Tilly and Brush ?

CC51DAS

President
Some say that they got lucky with Freddy and without his goals we would have acheived nothing. Clearly an over-simplification as without the influence of Spinner and the Goat , plus King Kev and Flavs at the top of their game, we could still be languishing in League Two.

Instead, T+B have brought us many of the club's greatest moments and of course we want more.

The promotion team was by no means their only success - for example bringing in Dorian last winter was another masterstroke.

And who knows another key signing could be just a few days away.

But should we expect T+B to keep pulling rabbits out of the hat ?

Last edited:
I don't think we expect too much on a whole. Some fans do of course, but generally the expectation is fair. It is amazing to think that in the last 7 years we have become acustomed to success, and this is down to T+B. They have been nothing short of amazing for our football club, and long may it continue.

Why should we expect anything less than what they have led us to believe is the norm??

After the free-fall towards L2 in January and a thread on here questioning whether it was time for new management, I remember saying that this would be a defining moment of Tilly's ability. He passed with flying colours. We have expected a lot after the incredible successes of recent years, but...with the budget situation, it is time to temper it. I just hope that he is not tempted to go elsewhere as with him and Brushy at the helm, it has felt like 'our' club again.

I'd say, overall, the expectation is fair. Whilst I'd agree a certain section of our supporters were perhaps spoiled by the vast amount of success in a short period of time, we're not expecting miracles and, on a whole, as a supporter base we're more than happy with the direction the club is moving in.

It's more than acceptable to expect defensive acquisitions, especially after losing half of our starting centre back pairing, and it's something I expect to happen soon. At the start of the summer, we were told that the club would be looking to move swiftly in the transfer market so as to bed the players in quickly... This hasn't materialised at all, and is the only source of dismay from me at the moment.

I dont think it's a case of 'us' expecting too much from t & b but perhaps RM. They have had to build houses from nothing more than straw and mud for the last couple of seasons as the builders supplies trade account appears to have been 'on stop'. It's really a question of how long this straw house can stay upright once the wolf starts to blow.

I think many people on here have unrealistic expectations for our club, it seems that many feel if we are not challenging for top spots then something is wrong, the truth is for our club to be an established third tier team is actually something new for sufc, T&B have done a good job and lets be honest any team that succeeds at this level needs a bit of luck too, whether thats in the form of a great striker i.e. freddy or the rub of the green in vital matches, such as millwall at home I still cant believe we didnt win that game, having made the play offs the previous season and just missing out this one I hope they stay in charge for a long time, lets not be too demanding on them though because they may just say bye bye and that would see a series of events that really would give people something to moan about

A good thread.

Regarding the age old 'Eastwood was a fluke' proposition, it really is laughable.

Maybe if Tilson had been here a few months, but these things even themselves out. Possibly Tilly did get a bit of luck when Eastwood came available, but all these things even themselves out and he still had to say to RM to snap him up, whereas all the other managers around didn't.

Eastwood was a fluke. Make no bones about it, Strikers of that natural ability come available once in a lifetime. Collymore came and went, and it was 15 years before we had another Forward capable of replicating his ability.

Eastwood was a fluke, but it's testament to Tilson and his contacts that he managed to capture him on a full-time deal.

Lets not forget that for every Eastwood we do sign, we let another slip through... Aaron McLean is a key example of this.

My point is really that it's laughable people are more than willing to accredit any downsides to Tilson's management as faults, whereas upsides are 'flukes'.

winning the league one title could bizarrely be said to be the worst thing T&B could have done.
we started that season just grateful to be back in league one and would have been happy just to stay up.
since winning the title, many seemed to have lost all sense of perspective regarding what Southend should achieve - now some regard anything less than promotion to the championship every year as a hanging offence.
that fact that we've only done it twice in 103 years and have spent many long years struggling to get out of div 4 /league 2 is long forgotten

My point is really that it's laughable people are more than willing to accredit any downsides to Tilson's management as faults, whereas upsides are 'flukes'.

But is that down to society in general. Does society expect people to achieve their dreams. Look at the X factor or Britain Got Talents, 10 of thousands apply and there can only be one winner, the majority of the contestants know the are not going to win it but just want their 5 minutes of fame.
Take footballers for another example, how many children play football and want to be a professional, and how many make it. There are to many obstacles for people to achieve their goals.
And if those people can't make their goals then to make them feel comfortable they feel that nobody else can make their goals, and if they do make them then its a fluke.

But is that down to society in general. Does society expect people to achieve their dreams. Look at the X factor or Britain Got Talents, 10 of thousands apply and there can only be one winner, the majority of the contestants know the are not going to win it but just want their 5 minutes of fame.
Take footballers for another example, how many children play football and want to be a professional, and how many make it. There are to many obstacles for people to achieve their goals.
And if those people can't make their goals then to make them feel comfortable they feel that nobody else can make their goals, and if they do make them then its a fluke.

17th best post on SZ ever

Back