• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you buy a load of cr@p?

Winkle

Manager
Im coming out of the closet and admitting that occasionally (on a regular basis) I feel the need to wander into what ever shop that takes my fancy and basically walk around buying stuff that I never ever use. My wife keeps reminding me about the cocktail shaker I bought last summer thats stuffed in the draw unopened because the language is in dutch, something I failed to pick up on. Or the umpteen amount of tools I buy but never use just because I think I might need them oneday. I am sadly a hoarder of things but have decided that enough is enough and taking the proverbial bull by the horns am having a spring clearout.
However, I do draw the line at some things, http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080414.p.Incontinence_Mattress_Protector.ar1?OpenDocument&resetFilialDaten=1&id=117&zipcode=SS13%203BB&city=Essex&city2=Pitsea&street=High%20Road&ar=1&EMID=09500E30CBI7AH6II6IFC00IKU2TI would anyone actually buy this, cricko maybe (ha ,ha). Or the mosquito net, I mean its snowing out and to my knowledge, we have not had a plague of mozzies hit our shores in the last week or so.

Last edited:
For a reason that still evades me I bought a 3.5 million candlepower torch. Point it at the moon and it melts. Utterly useless thing, really. Why did I buy it? No idea!

For a reason that still evades me I bought a 3.5 million candlepower torch. Point it at the moon and it melts. Utterly useless thing, really. Why did I buy it? No idea!

Blimey how much has the Moon melted so far ? :unsure:

I am a woman (well I was the last time I looked) and according to my husband, says I am always buying crap. Crap to him maybe but, not to me everything has it's use.
Still never hear him moan when I am buying the match tickets.

I bought a waterproof map holder & compass the other day for £7.

Im going to the lake district for 3 nights and walking up public footpaths kids and grannies use.

Well worth it then.

Ah another bibliophile ... welcome

Per the other thread, hang the lot of them!!

Oh. Sorry this dslyxiea is a right pain.

Im going to the lake district for 3 nights and walking up public footpaths kids and grannies use.

Well worth it then.

Don't knock it. My wife and I went to the Lake District around this time last year and climbed Helvellyn (via striding edge). It was chucking it down so we bought a waterproof map holder, and it was a god-send. I'm not sure you need the compass though...

It was amazing, having the clouds below you! And Striding Edge in the wind and rain was an experience!

stridingedgeyn0.th.jpg

I bought a marriage certificate many years ago for £10, got rid of it recently for another £250000. Worst £10 I ever spent.

It was amazing, having the clouds below you! And Striding Edge in the wind and rain was an experience!

Yeah does look awsome. Not sure I can face striding edge as I have an issue with heights, specifically falling from them. If theres a fairly gradual incline Im ok but Striding edge has them both sides so not sure Ill manage.

Looking forward to it though and not going to be able to avoid heights completely obviously so will be a pyschological test on top of actually trying to get my couch potato a** up there!

Yeah does look awsome. Not sure I can face striding edge as I have an issue with heights, specifically falling from them. If theres a fairly gradual incline Im ok but Striding edge has them both sides so not sure Ill manage.

Looking forward to it though and not going to be able to avoid heights completely obviously so will be a pyschological test on top of actually trying to get my couch potato a** up there!

Whatever you climb, and whatever route you take i'm sure you'll have a great time, and will experience a huge sense of achievement when you finally make it. Good luck!

Oh, and for the record, I am jealous!

I used to be on Mountain Rescue in the RAF and many the time we were caled out because people had wandered off the path and not having a map with them ....Compasses are great if you know how to use them properly, if you dont go up regularly my advice would be to continually look at the lay of the land and compare it to the map because the weather can change very quickly in the lakes....as for a waterproof map holder ! i always use a plastic bag ...just as effective and you save 7 quid .... a nice walk avoiding the feeling of heights is Skiddaw .... a natural basin a lovely safe ridge walk too....

I once came very close to buying a pair of slippers that were fitted with headlights (so you can go for a wee at night without turning the lights on) from an innovations catalogue.

In the end I didn't buy them and I have regretted it ever since.

Well worth it then.

Per the other thread, hang the lot of them!!

Oh. Sorry this dslyxiea is a right pain.

Instead of buying expensive water-proof casing use freezer bags.

Back