• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Do you remember the first time?

I’m taking my 7 year old daughter for her first (maybe her last?) trip to Roots Hall this weekend. Lots of sweets, snacks & will have phone charged for when she gets bored.. any other tips?
Yep, choosing some sweets before the game went down well. Along with an overpriced programme and a hot chocolate. If you can, perhaps a visit to the club shop for a souvenir?! I’m already planning the first home visit, you might just be surprised how much she enjoys it ??

No idea when I first went but I have pictures of me and my cousin wearing the shirt the season Stan played for us so it was at the very least 1992. I have vague memories of being in the North Bank in the North-East corner hanging from the cage at the front like a monkey, that's probably my first memory.

I was a ball boy when I was very young, probably way too young actually and I remember getting so bored that me and another lad started passing a ball back and forth along the side of the pitch.

Finally I also remember me and a friend sneaking in a pizza (from the pizza shop near the ground) like it was a military operation. Must of been about 10, which was when I was first allowed to go on my own with friends.

I want to take my 5 year old and 2 year old this weekend whilst the Mrs is away with her in Manchester but she's firmly against it for some reason. Really annoying!!

First game v Brentford.Dec 1967...went on my own,i was Billy no mates.. 1-0 win.P.Chisnall.Phil was my favourite player after that,but it was short lived.Then along came "King Billy".
First away game was Notts County,May 1968.
Coach broke down on the way to the game,got there a bit late i think and we lost 4-3....
That should have been a warning of whats to come supporting the Blues.admission price to RH was then(child) only two bob.Both days i will never forget.Still got both progs hanging on my wall here.

First ever football game was Dulwich Hamlet v Wealdstone in FA Cup and a few Millwall games with my dad.
my love affair/trauma started on 1st September 1987 v PNE. Grandad said to me that we were going to a game and there was 11yo me thinking Tottenham, West Ham....but no got bus from Benfleet and walked down Victoria Avenue, seeing the floodlights against the night sky, standing on the North Bank, the smells (not just the toilets) and the sounds....for first part of game Southend were losing but by end WE had lost and I knew I had found my team.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1582288977771.jpg
    FB_IMG_1582288977771.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 6
  • FB_IMG_1582288985632.jpg
    FB_IMG_1582288985632.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 6
My first ever Southend game was in the mid-nineties when I was 6 or 7. I don't remember much about it other than it was a home game, it was hot (maybe August), I met my football team at Priory Park and we walked down together to Roost Hall and I think the score was 1-1.

The first game I properly remember was the last game of the 1997/1998 season v Wrexham. I was 8 or 9 years old and went with my Dad. I remember everyone holding up p45 signs in the West Stand, the crowd running on the pitch at the end of the game and caving in the crossbar in and someone dropping their burger (may even of had onions in) on the pitch and picking it up and eating it (weird the things you remember, can clearly see that as if it was yesterday).

Not much has changed in 24 years....we've just suffered back to relegations, people are still holding up signs protesting, fans are still running on the pitch and we're still playing Wrexham in the league.

I remember it well... September 2002 a 2-0 home loss to Kidderminster!
It was during the Newman days, also when you could enter the raffle to go on the pitch and shoot into the hole in the goal to win an old ford fiesta! My dad won the raffle on that first game, so we ended up on the pitch at half time. He went on to blast his shot over the bar massively and you was allowed to pick one of the subs warming up to take a shot for you to win a consolation prize... Up steps Dave McSweeney! Who goes on the blast it even further over the bar then the old man! From then i was hooked

My first game was either against Mansfield or Cardiff in the late 90's. I think it was 0-0

I remember it well... September 2002 a 2-0 home loss to Kidderminster!
It was during the Newman days, also when you could enter the raffle to go on the pitch and shoot into the hole in the goal to win an old ford fiesta! My dad won the raffle on that first game, so we ended up on the pitch at half time. He went on to blast his shot over the bar massively and you was allowed to pick one of the subs warming up to take a shot for you to win a consolation prize... Up steps Dave McSweeney! Who goes on the blast it even further over the bar then the old man! From then i was hooked
Surprised you ever came back again after that one. I remember that match only for the fact it was one of the worst Southend games I have ever seen.

A 0-0 draw v York City in 1977. Can't remember the side exactly but I think Neil Freeman, Alan Moody, Steve Yates, Colin Morris, Derrick Parker, Alan Foggon & Micky Laverick all played.

My first game was Southport I think April 78 ..we won 4 v 2 ...don't remember a great deal was only 7 ..I do remember thinking how loud everything seemed to be

That was a great game. Dave Smith employed a 4-2-4 formation and both teams had notable goalkeepers playing.....Southport had ex Villa keeper Jim Coombes, who also played cricket for Worcestershire in the summer and John Burridge was making his debut on loan from Villa for us.

Dave Smith one of our best managers in hindsight ..my mate dave cunningham said one of the best man managers he worked with

Back