• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you support Southend's Grammar Schools?

I support them 100 % and if i still lived in Southend i would have hoped my 3 kids that did not go to grammar would have,its a great start in life.

My daughter narrowly missed out and they are a great opportunity for those who qualify.

Why they should be abolished I have no idea.

If your kid is in that top bracket why shouldnt they be in a school that suits them rather than having everyone lumped together.

I manage to read the first sentence before giving up.

The chief inspector of schools, Sir Michael Wilshaw, has launched a scathing assault on England's 164 state-funded grammar schools and their supporters for holding back poorer pupils from getting on in life.

What has money got to do with passing an 11+ exam ?

Garbage.

Im sure the rest of the article is excellent though, but I dont need to read the Guardian to form an opinion.

100% totally in favour of them. I happen to know of a young lady from outside the borough, with a very rough background who has managed to get into WHSG this year, her mum always told me she was super bright and I'm delighted she's going to get this chance to excel.

Last edited:
My son did not go to a grammar school. Smashed his GCSEs A grade student all the way and is currently smashing his A levels too school is only part of any child's educational prospects....guidance and focus from parents....prioritising school work etc.

My son did not go to a grammar school. Smashed his GCSEs A grade student all the way and is currently smashing his A levels too school is only part of any child's educational prospects....guidance and focus from parents....prioritising school work etc.
Echo this - my eldest daughter got so many A's that you sound like a scouser if you real them all off.
I have 3 daughters and made a point of sending them to whichever mixed non religious comprehensive was closest to our home. Judging kids at 11 is not good and if they are in catchment of a grammar then they feel like a failure if they don't get in.
As far as I am concerned we should draw a circle round each school and if you are in the circle you go there. That is the way to build a community.

And one other point, in securing my current job, the fact that I was a former WHSG student still held some sway with my boss!

I manage to read the first sentence before giving up.

The chief inspector of schools, Sir Michael Wilshaw, has launched a scathing assault on England's 164 state-funded grammar schools and their supporters for holding back poorer pupils from getting on in life.

What has money got to do with passing an 11+ exam ?

Garbage.

Im sure the rest of the article is excellent though, but I dont need to read the Guardian to form an opinion.
Because the vast majority of pupils who pass entrance exams are privately tutored to get through the exams. There was a time where it was just a few using that to get the extra push they needed but it soon got to a tipping point where if you weren't paying for a tutor you are majorly disadvantaged at exam stage. Unfortunately buying your way into a grammar is effectively commonplace.

Vaguely remember reading a study where grammar schools were associated with increased inequality in the areas where grammar schools still exist.

I don't think on the whole grammar schools are particularly great, mainly because I don't believe that 'good students' are always pulled down by 'bad students' and that the peer effect is quite important in teaching.

Like AAS, I also don't think that judging the performance of children at 11 is particularly good or healthy. My sister failed the 11+ and it had a big knock on her confidence. Most of the proponents tend to be people who went to grammar schools. Most opponents want good schools irrespective of how good a student you are/your child is.

Also, I don't think gendered schools are a good idea. Faith schools should be banned.

Back