• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

applelover

Coach
Hi all

I know that people are understandably frustrated at the moment after enduring the last few years. That inevitably leads to the release of sometimes negative emotion from the crowd. However even when we were doing relatively well certain players have received incredibly harsh treatment from sections of the fanbase eg gower, hooper, harrold, paynter etc.

Having never followed another team closely i struggle to compare this harsh treatment to that of players playing for different clubs. Is our behaviour any worse than that of other fans?

IMO i think we are harsh on our players. I like to only give critisism when players have consistently been playing bad over the course of the game but some fans do like to be harsh on our players sometimes.

Nope go on any forum and you will see exactly the same type of threads as on here. Even on the man u forum they are probably moaning. Arsenal fans are practically suicidal at the moment. If the team is winning all is rosey, if they are losing then its the end of the world. If internet forums had existed in the 50s and 60s, no doubt fans would have expressed the same views as they do now- why did we sell such and such a player, wheres the xxxx money gone, rubbish standard of football etc etc.

I sat in the West for a couple of seasons, a few seasons ago. They berated Gower and Maher for the whole games I attended.

(and we were top of the league) Never sat in the west since. Wouldn't know whether we are any worse than other fans of other clubs, probably not. Expectations increase as clubs get a bit of success. The more fans you attract the more varied their opinions. (rightly so)
What annoys me more than anything is that we seem to have to have a 'boo boy' , currently Blair, but if he soon doesn't
endure himself it will be JJ, why I do not know, but we seem to have one every season, and I guess other teams do as well

Is it a surprise our away form is often better than our home? I honestly can't understand why some 'fans' go to games.

Perhaps every team should sign one truly awful player, give him a few minutes every match to take the barrage of abuse from the crowd like a hate sponge.

No.

I went to Everton vs QPR this season as part of a stag do. Before the game had even started the crowd were on Beckfords back as they dont like him. During the game Neville and Beckford despite not being that bad were canned at every opportunity by the crowd whilst Rodwell and Hibbert who were both **** poor were applauded as local heros.

When you doing well no one moans - its the same in a work place. We for my mind are no better or worse.

We have morons in every section of the crowd, i've heard them in the East, West and South Upper, funny how some of them when challenged very quickly back down because they are incapable of stringing together a coherent sentence that doesn't consist of words like **** off Gower you useless ****.

As much as I don't rate PS I wouldn't dream of berating him at a match, use the forums and the pub to discuss how you feel about individuals but don't take it to the match.

We have morons in every section of the crowd, i've heard them in the East, West and South Upper, funny how some of them when challenged very quickly back down because they are incapable of stringing together a coherent sentence that doesn't consist of words like **** off Gower you useless ****.

Oh I dunno, LdnFasto is quite a nice chap. We had a discussion about Nietzsche and Goethe once in the Spread.

There is something to it. The likes of Matt Harrold have taken no end of abuse from home fans. Steve Mildenhall getting heckled and ironically cheered seemed as counter-productive as you can imagine any supporter action to be. The fact that Mark Gower used to get abuse regularly says it all, really.

I'll always remember the Echo running a story with Mike Marsh in which he said that the players from that era preferred playing away matches because of the negativity at Roots Hall.

That said, there's heckling and booing from morons at all Clubs. I think the difference is that Roots Hall is a quiet ground and has been since we went all-seater so there's a lack of positive noise to drown the idiots out.

Back