• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperian

Coach
Firstly, let me make it clear that I have inside knowledge whatsoever on this subject and there is certainly an element of 2+2 =6 in this! However, WBA made it perfectly clear when we took Luke on loan just two weeks ago, that he was UNAVAILABLE to play in the FA Cup. I doubt very much that this was for their own preservation, as Luke was number 3 there and unlikley to figure. In which case, it is my considered opinion that WBA didnt want Luke cup-tied because they were looking to sell him in January. that being the case, what has changed? Well, we have now stated that we will have Luke for a further month and that will take us to Christmas, so is part of that deal an agreement to buy Luke once the window reopens? It would certainly make sense. Perhaps we tried to get WBA to allow Luke to play on Saturday and they said, if you cup-tie him, then you will have to keep him (a bit unlikely but it is odd how they suddenly changed their mind). Does anybody know who played in goal for the ressies against Waltham Abbey last night? Was it Morris?

Or perhaps we offered to pick up more of his wage bill?
Possibly, but why would we extend the loan if we didnt need to? Reports were circulating that Morris was on the mend and likely to be fit before then end of Daniels loan............

Cant see it.

Morris is more the competent at this level and I think Daniels is going to want a hefty whack to come here being a prem keeper. I suspect WBA didnt want us to cup tie him and send him back the next week, we realise he is a really tidy keeper and want to make the most so everyone is a winner.

I wonder if he will come here on a perm deal in the summer maybe though.

someone ask the chap on Twitter or something modern so we can put this thread to bed

Firstly, let me make it clear that I have inside knowledge whatsoever on this subject and there is certainly an element of 2+2 =6 in this! However, WBA made it perfectly clear when we took Luke on loan just two weeks ago, that he was UNAVAILABLE to play in the FA Cup. I doubt very much that this was for their own preservation, as Luke was number 3 there and unlikley to figure. In which case, it is my considered opinion that WBA didnt want Luke cup-tied because they were looking to sell him in January. that being the case, what has changed? Well, we have now stated that we will have Luke for a further month and that will take us to Christmas, so is part of that deal an agreement to buy Luke once the window reopens? It would certainly make sense. Perhaps we tried to get WBA to allow Luke to play on Saturday and they said, if you cup-tie him, then you will have to keep him (a bit unlikely but it is odd how they suddenly changed their mind). Does anybody know who played in goal for the ressies against Waltham Abbey last night? Was it Morris?

Chambers played in goal last night I believe.

I doubt we'll be able to make the move permanent for a whole host of reasons...not least our financial state and Luke's ambitions.

My guess would be if WBA don't need him for the short term they are better off getting an element of his wages back for a further month. An agreement probably prompted by a begging phone call to let him play on Satdi in t'cup.

Though as with you - purely guesswork.

I would be very surprised if we signed him permanently, but even more so in January. Glenn Morris has done a decent enough job this year and although Daniels is a step up IMO I doubt we'd want to majorly shuffle our pack wages wise to bring in a new keeper now.

Last year we had 2 senior keepers with Rhys Evans also here and Sturrock felt the need to play them both for spells in order to keep them both happy. Once one of them performed well then it was then unfair to drop them. Whilst I agree with that mentality generally as competition for places is healthy, we're right on our wage budget right now and other positions such as in the striking department are more of a priority IMO.

Thoughts?

I reckon West brom watched the Oxford league game and thought, even in training we cant give him that much practice.. give him another month!

I would be very surprised if we signed him permanently, but even more so in January. Glenn Morris has done a decent enough job this year and although Daniels is a step up IMO I doubt we'd want to majorly shuffle our pack wages wise to bring in a new keeper now.

Last year we had 2 senior keepers with Rhys Evans also here and Sturrock felt the need to play them both for spells in order to keep them both happy. Once one of them performed well then it was then unfair to drop them. Whilst I agree with that mentality generally as competition for places is healthy, we're right on our wage budget right now and other positions such as in the striking department are more of a priority IMO.

Thoughts?

Prefer Morris, most of the stuff Daniels done on Saturday Glenn would have caught. Looks suspect in the air, palms everything away and kicking not great!

I would guess that he would pay the transfer fee himself so that he has a chance to play permanently for the Mighty Shrimpers.

Didn't Daniels say in an interview he wanted to break into the WBA 1st team in the next year or so? So i would think it would be unlikely he would sign for us in January.

He looks a decent keeper at this level.

Bit early to judge him yet. 3 of the clean sheets he's had nothing to do, looked shaky at start of Barnet game (but was debut). Oxford was a lot of standard saves (most were catchable), if any had gone in there would have been question marks.

Personnally as much as its been great having Luke here and for another month, Morris has done nothing wrong to warrant being dropped to a number two. its not like we were conceding constantly through his mistakes before he got injured. He is more than upto being our first choice and deserves to be in goal when we lift the title. i actually think he is one of the best keepers weve had down here for some time.

Back