• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you want Brown next season

Do you want Brown to stay?

• Total voters
If it was a Neil Harris /Adam Barrett combo no...
but the reality is we're in the NL and PB is probably punching well above our weight now.
We certainly would be fitter and a more solid hardworking unit ..it's just the flair side that lacks.
Overall a definite PB VOTE in our current situation

I have voted yes, provided that Fagan is his assistant, reasoning is that I have been at all the home games (working) and the pair of them have been a breath of fresh air.
They have been vocal, encouraging, and when necessary berating individuals, and the response from the players is there for all to see.
I have been told that next seasons budget will be the same as this season due to the parachute payments from the EFL, so he will have the funds available.
Love him or loathe him, he has contacts, and the ego to succeed.

ANG for me is a very frustrating player. Akinola I really can't understand Brown's antipathy for. He hasn't got the goals but he's been our most effective attacking player for most of the season, and got 16 goals in the NL last year.

If it's about attitude then it shows how Brown is out of his depth. Akinola sat patiently on the sidelines for three months while Ron ****ed about with the embargo and never showed his frustration. Braintree and Barnet fans will tell you what a good player he is at that level. Brown clearly isn't interested in reading anyone's back story.

Can only think there's been a barney, but he could have least have given him a couple of games to prove himself.

Anyway, I am sure Brown will bring in someone who will score more than that next season for peanuts.

Or it's just that Walsh & Rush have been better, hence why we have been 3 games unbeaten. You don't change a winning side.

If Akinola can't get in ahead of 2 youth players, that's a reflection of him.

"Reading anyones back story" He hasn't been good enough, no conspiracy, simple as that.

If it was a Neil Harris /Adam Barrett combo no...
but the reality is we're in the NL and PB is probably punching well above our weight now.
We certainly would be fitter and a more solid hardworking unit ..it's just the flair side that lacks.
Overall a definite PB VOTE in our current situation

What makes you think we're punching with PB? His disastrous spell in India, his disastrous spell with Swindon or his disastrous last year with us?

He's unbelievable at self-promotion. People actually believe he can do better than the National League.

He won't get a better job than this. He's lucky to have us, not the other way round.

I
Or it's just that Walsh & Rush have been better, hence why we have been 3 games unbeaten. You don't change a winning side.

If Akinola can't get in ahead of 2 youth players, that's a reflection of him.

"Reading anyones back story" He hasn't been good enough, no conspiracy, simple as that.

I like Rush, I think he's been a breath of fresh air. However, he struggled earlier in the season and looked out of his depth.

Walsh is still very young and showed his nativity off the ball Vs Orient when he left his man several times. I would see him more as a winger really.

Bottom line is I would have liked to see Akinola given a chance by Brown before being moved aside and potentially paid off. Same with ANG, although I disagree less with that decision.

But regardless of whether or not you rate those players, surely you give them a game or two when you can to let them prove themselves in actual games? Particularly as we have been as good as down since Col Ewe. Puzzling really.

Can only think it's a clash of personalities.

Guy is clearly not up to scratch as a manager, given his last couple of jobs and his last year with us. You can put the last few good results down to the new manager bounce, which always reverts to the mean in time.

Thought we played ok, but leaving Akinola and AnG out of the squad when they are contracted players next season was a real eye opener. Clearly made his mind up on them without giving them a chance to prove him wrong. Shocking.

That said, I do not want the usual Ron two month recruitment process and I suppose it is better the devil you know. I hope RD and Fagan will have a good handle on recruitment because Brown does not know this level, he hasn't managed in England for 2 years and the 2008 Rothman's yearbook won't help him.

Whereas we judged MM on his last two promotions and he is a major reason for our relegation.
Works both ways.
I'm not precious about Phil, but I'm not blind to the fact that he was largely a success with us. It has been mentioned elsewhere, but things fell apart largely due to a clash of personalities in the dressing room. In this instance he rejoins the club with no personalities - either kids or players who are Ryman League standard and in no place to argue with a manager who has spent time in the Premier League.

Guy is clearly not up to scratch as a manager, given his last couple of jobs and his last year with us. You can put the last few good results down to the new manager bounce, which always reverts to the mean in time.

Thought we played ok, but leaving Akinola and AnG out of the squad when they are contracted players next season was a real eye opener. Clearly made his mind up on them without giving them a chance to prove him wrong. Shocking.

That said, I do not want the usual Ron two month recruitment process and I suppose it is better the devil you know. I hope RD and Fagan will have a good handle on recruitment because Brown does not know this level, he hasn't managed in England for 2 years and the 2008 Rothman's yearbook won't help him.
This is my big worry. You can't just rashly bin players under contract. Akinola is proven at non-league level and ANG was just coming into form when he was dumped. Presumably RHF is going back to Pompey so all of a sudden that's three attacking options gone. And given our financial situation and our reputation, we have to be careful because we're not exactly an attractive option at the moment and we can't assume we can easily replace these types of players

I feel really awkward about this as I don't like PB's managerial style and the way he treats players - that's what cost him his job in the first instance - but equally last summer's dithering by Ron is the reason we are where we are now.

So unless Ron is actively looking at alternative options then it's a yes to Brown but a very reluctant one.

Listening to Ron in his latest interviews it seems he wants PB to stay but if he doesn't want to he hasn't got a plan B alternative.I for one dont want the same dither and delay as this season.Ron needs to sort out the manager asap so we can plan for next season

We know what he is like and what we can expect, why look for somebody else, we might get another rubbish manager! We seem to make a habit of attracting the wrong person over the past few years, whether they are players or managers.

Akinola and ANG have had plenty of time to prove thselves and have been found lacking.

I think Phil would see them as not hardworking enough and therefore not 'team players' - difficult to disagree, we want players who care about the club. We need players who will track back and help out their team mates when they make a mistake - I don't think these two do. I would expect Ferguson to leave too.

Last edited:
Question is, if not Phil then who else?

Akinola and ANG have had plenty of time to prove thselves and have been found lacking.
Both proved themselves extremely capable at League 2 level and if we’d only been able to sign at least one decent finisher, they’d have helped us finish mid-table and still have our excellent young manager.
Sadly Ron panicked and praying for a miraculous bounce (it’s worked for us 3 times in the past) went back to Brown.It failed — I don’t believe MMs selection would have folded against a very poor Colchester team.
We might as well stick with Brown now.

I think Phil would see them as not hardworking enough and therefore not 'team players' - difficult to disagree, we want players who care about the club. We need players who will track back and help out their team mates when they make a mistake - I don't think these two do. I would expect Ferguson to leave too.

Ferguson is outstanding off the ball. He is the exact opposite of what you have just said.

It would have been a no about bringing him back but a yes as he is here. Needs the CEO in now to agree the budget with Ron and manage any of Phil’s desire to simply spend. Phil got his sides fit and we need to hit the ground running after a tough pre-season. I’d like Akinola to stay as he has a track record and I think could come good. ANG has skill but no end product. I’d let him go if he got an offer but wouldn’t be using up budget on paying up contracts. If work ethos is the issue then make them work.

No brainier, best man for the job

just a shame he didn’t come back 6 games sooner, but what’s done is done.

Big job to get us out of the NL, but I trust PB to get the job done, with caveat that Ron backs him with funds to get the right players in.

Last edited:
Back