• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you want Brown next season

Do you want Brown to stay?

• Total voters
Blatantly a negotiation tactic to get a better offer on the table here
Quite he wants to stay. But also wants to get us promoted. Who would want to manage in the NL in a crap budget? Give the guy a break. Do we really expect home to just sign a 3 year contract and say don’t worry let me know what the budget is later?

Simple really, do you want Phil Brown to stay on and lead our first season in the national league? Or would you rather somebody different?

Yes although I will never stop preaching that we need people with Southend in their blood involved in the running / management of our club.

My concern I keep harping on about is do we have the budget for a big name? RM admitted in the zoom meeting he doesn't have a final budget for next season so can he afford PB, 1 or 2 CEO's?

I hope he finalises that budget soon so he can be sure the severe reduction in income and these extra costs are realistic and won't result in more CCJ's or money available for players ?

Brown won't get another job in the efl as majority of clubs now go for young and hungry managers....... brown has stated he wants a decent budget which I feel he and any other manager for that fact should get at sufc in the National league.

Over to you ron to put the wrongs, right.

We're in the NL now in case you've got your rose tinted specs on,and yes he is better than that .He has experience and contacts which is essential at this level.
You seriously can't include 20 games in India with the English game.His last spell with us came with almost a 40% win ratio over 250 games which is promotion level only ended with the very players that caused the problems starting our decline .As for Swindon he was only given 30 odd games so it's hard to call.
Self promotion....well we need every bit of publicity we can get otherwise our only media coverage will be on BBC Essex match reports with Chelmsford and Maldon and Tiptree.
He has knowledge of the club the set up ,and more importantly knows Fagan and Duncan.
We shouldn't even be here but for Ron ,but let's hear your alternatives for comparisons
His record with us was with a level playing field. In fact more, given he had the luxury of signing the likes of Rob Kiernan on £5k a week. Every manager since him has been cleaning up his mess.

Brown won't get another job in the efl as majority of clubs now go for young and hungry managers....... brown has stated he wants a decent budget which I feel he and any other manager for that fact should get at sufc in the National league.

Over to you ron to put the wrongs, right.

Steve Tilson may be right. Maybe the Chairman has really got the means to give the club a decent budget, but if that was the case why was the club unable to avoid a transfer embargo for the first four months of the last season?

Great post
Pb is desperate for work back in the UK and think South East suits him. He knows how Ron works.and thinks
We are desperate for continuity and not many experienced managers will want southend.
I believe it won't be a healthy environment for younger loanees or those only used to modern management styles. I also believe down the line the usual favouritism and splits in camp would materialise.
But the fact he's done ok, we need continuity, he understands ron , probably outweighs the bad.
He won't like boundaries, rules and being handcuffed by a CEO though. No doubt He will say all the appropriate things to stay.
Phil stated in an interview in The Echo towards the end of last year that having a CEO would've made his job in his first spell here easier. On that basis I don't think an incoming CEO will affect his decision to return. Should he return full time.

I have voted yes. If he is here next season, it means he will have a working budget at that level. If he isn't, then whoever we have, I would predict another difficult season.

PB knows Ron, he knows the club and he sounds sincere about wanting to be here. I also think based on the performances he got out of the squad in the 6 games he was here, he has shown he knows how to coach players.

I think he would have as good a chance as anyone to get us back, probably a better one.

I would make the same qualifying term to him being here, as he has stated on the budget.

Phil if you take the job, then you take it on the basis you are here to see the job through, not to use us as a platform to get a position at a league club. You have made your demands, the club should make theirs.

Taken on with that mutual understanding would be a good solid base to work from.

Returning players and managers don't always work out but given the precarious position we are i I am very willing to be proved wrong with P.B

A no brainer from me. IMO, Ron's biggest mistake during his tenure was getting shot of PB, which has resulted in us being in our present position.

His record with us was with a level playing field. In fact more, given he had the luxury of signing the likes of Rob Kiernan on £5k a week. Every manager since him has been cleaning up his mess.
Is that accurate though? Wouldn't PB have asked Ron / CEO to sign Kiernan who would then have negotiated the financial side of it?

Every manager since has made poor signings that has helped push the club out of the league, it's almost like football managers don't care about how much players get paid

Phil Brown has to stay - If he had come in around December/January we might have stayed up

Is that accurate though? Wouldn't PB have asked Ron / CEO to sign Kiernan who would then have negotiated the financial side of it?

Every manager since has made poor signings that has helped push the club out of the league, it's almost like football managers don't care about how much players get paid
Would be interesting to know how much Sol and his backroom staff cost because to me that's where the major problems started with no response on the pitch which led to Ron's fire sale and the meltdown of the squad.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to know how much Sol and his backroom staff cost because to me that's where the major problems stated with no response on the pitch which led to Ron's fire sale and the meltdown of the squad.

Sols hotel bill was more than RD and Fagan earn. Those two and PB with a bit of punditry work will be a lot cheaper than some of our recent entourages.

I’d normally say no, but we do need stability, so solely for that, I put yes. Tbf, it’s unlikely he’ll get a higher than L1 clubs looking at him now.

i voted yes, but I do have my concerns. In particular the Colchester result.

A few games is so different to a whole season. Bond was a fairly similar situation. He had just a few games to keep us up, admittedly it was not as impossible as this season’s situation when PB came in.

The most important thing now is continuity, everyone pulling together in the same direction!

Just seen on BBC that Orient are looking for a manager with league 1 and 2 experience ?‍♂️

Back