• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you want Brown next season

Do you want Brown to stay?

• Total voters
I’m not sure any other potential employers will be that exited that he got a bit of a bounce out of us, at the end of the day he did only win 2 out of 6. We were already drawing games for fun before he arrived. I’d like him to stay but we shouldnt get into a Dutch auction with him. Put a fair offer on the table, tell him to take it or leave it by the end of next week. And spend that week actively looking for alternatives. Two can play that game.

We have to keep phil brown! With him staying I can honestly see a return to league 2 at the first time of asking.

Providing Ron gives him a SUSTAINABLE budget, then yes. If we can’t afford to give him a good budget, don’t stretch financials to get him. The last time we overspent chasing promotion with PB, it caused us financial issues down the line.

Of course you’d take the highest budget possible, so Ron needs to sort that ASAP.

I dread the thought of us having more financial issues, bemoaning why we overstretched to get out of NL in a few years.

Also really grinds my gears the way he touts himself in the media. Whether a tactic or not it’s frustrating.

Sols hotel bill was more than RD and Fagan earn. Those two and PB with a bit of punditry work will be a lot cheaper than some of our recent entourages.

Do you know if it was more that Phils Roslin Hotel bill??

I have voted no, simply because I do like the way he goes about his business. However, there is a real need to get a manager in place now. There is no doubt he could do the job that is needed, but let us hope he concentrates on the job in hand, rather than seeking his dream job.

Reluctantly the need to get a manager in, far outweighs my dislike of Brown.

Absolutely a yes from me. He may rate himself higher than Zidane and big himself up more than Ali, but love him or loathe him, he does have the experience we’ve been lacking since… well since we sacked Phil Brown.

Right now though, I believe there are three compelling reasons to go all in:

- he’s achieved success with THIS club before
- he’s had a good chance to see the players and decide who can do a job for us in the coming season
- he knows how to work with Ron and critically hold him to account

For me, these are vital considerations for where we are at this moment in time.

My main reservation is the cravat but hopefully he will get that out of his system soon enough.

Absolutely a yes from me. He may rate himself higher than Zidane and big himself up more than Ali, but love him or loathe him, he does have the experience we’ve been lacking since… well since we sacked Phil Brown.

- he’s had a good chance to see the players and decide who can do a job for us in the coming season

My main reservation is the cravat but hopefully he will get that out of his system soon enough.

Agree with these points.

Perhaps we can resolve the clothing issue with some sort of cravat caveat?

Agree with these points.

Perhaps we can resolve the clothing issue with some sort of cravat caveat?
2005-2006 was probably Phil Brown at his peak. If he can bring his success from that era, as opposed to his wardrobe, then we’re on to something.

If he gets us promoted its ceremonial pink sufc branded cravats for all fans.

I'm really surprised at the overwhelming 'yes' vote (I voted 'no'). His sheen seemed to have faded badly in his last season with us which was a really poor one with what seems to have been a divided dressing room of Brown's creation. Under Brown, I am sure we were heading down even back then.

We were left with Brown signings that were expensive, injury prone, ageing and some of questionable character. His record after departing hardly makes for encouraging reading.

However, I am sure he'll end up as our manager next season (if he's satisfied with the offer and budget) and, in which case, I will be glad to be proved wrong.

Tbh a near 90% yes is as near unanimity you will ever get. To give it context someone responded to CPs poll on Twitter saying if they had a choice of staying in L2 with Brown or NL with MM they would go for the latter!! If you have “fans” who put personal dislike of individuals before the well being of the club as above, or saying they would rather Ron went even if we had to come back as a Pheonix club, then there are going to be some most will never agree with. The CP poll is much bigger and 80% say yes.

I would say therefore the chances of finder a better alternative as far as the fans are concerned is vanishingly small.

Me I would rather my club be in the EFL with a manager I didn’t like, a chairman I didn’t like than in non league obscurity with a very very nice man as chairman/manager or both.

Back