• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you want Brown next season

Do you want Brown to stay?

• Total voters
I'm really surprised at the overwhelming 'yes' vote (I voted 'no'). His sheen seemed to have faded badly in his last season with us which was a really poor one with what seems to have been a divided dressing room of Brown's creation. Under Brown, I am sure we were heading down even back then.

We were left with Brown signings that were expensive, injury prone, ageing and some of questionable character. His record after departing hardly makes for encouraging reading.

However, I am sure he'll end up as our manager next season (if he's satisfied with the offer and budget) and, in which case, I will be glad to be proved wrong.
I feel the same as you and hence voted no also

Absolutely this, perhaps the 2nd part to the question should be - Would you rather have a manager in place now or spend all summer screwing up the recruitment of a ‘name’ only to end up recruiting someone you haven’t heard of just days before the season starts?

I stuck with Brown for longer in his first spell than most people did, and I get that we need to make an appointment quickly for next year because the job starts now in terms of massacring the squad.

However I still don’t see him as the right person at this point in time. We were big spenders in the division when he was here last, can he really operate on a shoestring? He also inherited a fairly strong squad from Paul Sturrock last time - can he really build one of his own when all the whole city players he knew 15 years ago have retired? What does he know about the National League? What does he know about decent players at that level? I suspect we will very quickly end up with older players who are supposedly too good for that level, but prove not to be.

Absolutely this, perhaps the 2nd part to the question should be - Would you rather have a manager in place now or spend all summer screwing up the recruitment of a ‘name’ only to end up recruiting someone you haven’t heard of just days before the season starts?
That’s the main reason I voted “yes” - he’s in the building, has seen the squad, so if we appoint him the rebuilding process starts now.

Ron said last week that he doesn’t have a plan B and I fear if we don’t appoint Brown that he’ll dither for weeks and ultimately there is no guarantee that it will be anyone better than Brown. It’s also unlikely they will know the current squad (unless it’s Fagan/Duncan).

I stuck with Brown for longer in his first spell than most people did, and I get that we need to make an appointment quickly for next year because the job starts now in terms of massacring the squad.

However I still don’t see him as the right person at this point in time. We were big spenders in the division when he was here last, can he really operate on a shoestring? He also inherited a fairly strong squad from Paul Sturrock last time - can he really build one of his own when all the whole city players he knew 15 years ago have retired? What does he know about the National League? What does he know about decent players at that level? I suspect we will very quickly end up with older players who are supposedly too good for that level, but prove not to be.

it’s not all on brown though, Duncan has been watching games and assume any scouts have. Also anton been watching games. Doesn’t mean brown has to know the nl

I’d rather someone like brown than saying we need a nl manager and end up with MM pt2 cos we are trying to be clever.

brown has proved that he can take this bunch of players that were awful under MM and if not get wins, certainly get performances out of them which will translate to wins.

can’t see any issue of brown in the nl.

Whatever our opinion is' it would seem Fagan and Ricky D think PB is the best option. They have even hinted it in the press....Thats good enough for me.

Not sure why people think PB cant spot a decent NL player. He has spotted a few in our club. Rush, Holmes, Egbri and Harry H went unnoticed on other NL experts spread sheets

It was all the wrongs of modern football that got us in this mess and some good old old professional pride and honesty is exactly what we need to save us.

IMO if we can afford to keep Brown that is what we should do. He has seen the set up, current squad and understands who needs to go and stay.
With a new CEO in place (thanks to Stan) Brown should be given the responsibility of getting us back into Div2. The CEO should keep Ron away from the management of the club and allow those who truly know what they are doing to get on with things.
We need a manager in place now (this has been said before by many on SZ) who can plan for the season ahead and get the jump on other clubs. Continuity is key and without any embargo or other restrictions against the club we should at least have a good fighting chance to get back to where we belong.

UTB

We do need to not waste the summer bring in a manager and then having an embargo, I hope we don’t repeat the mistake of last year than Ron could not acknowledge.

I don’t want brown as manager as we will sign a lot of expensive pro’s that will not perform in this league. A decent non league manager who can manage a budget and build a balanced team on a couple of marquee signing with a a younger team around them which will work hard and if we were to go up have the confidence to continue performing

I voted yes for a few of reasons. One we need continuity of he goes its 9 managers since he left the first time and two he got more form these players than MM, now I know against the first 5 teams we played MM got more points from that oppo, however they were not in consecutive games and I do think that counts for something, and i think the football was better And finally i like the set up on the bench (not sure if RD would stay there permanently if PB stays as he has academy work to do) ut having Fagan as his number 2 will give us a possible succession plan

They are the reasons. If he goes the appointment we make will be the most iportant managerial appointment in our history for me.

I have reservations about a CEO at this stage. Needed when we were in the EFL but the priority is getting back there with no distraction. No idea what Brown thinks of the idea, but to me, having a third party between Martin and the manager can only add to the miasma of confusion and obfuscation that the club is already mired in. Clever move by Ron to be on board with this so that he can distance himself from a potential conflict between the new CEO, whoever the manager might be and SC hovering in the background.

Well, hopefully Ricky and Craig might help with that. RD on the zoom call said he’d been looking at players and I trust him to recommend decent ones. Remember Stan’s contacts might help too though not sure how that will sit with PB. I do trust that players with fight and the right attitude will be brought in.

Well, hopefully Ricky and Craig might help with that. RD on the zoom call said he’d been looking at players and I trust him to recommend decent ones. Remember Stan’s contacts might help too though not sure how that will sit with PB. I do trust that players with fight and the right attitude will be brought in.

That is a good point. Both Ricky Duncan and Craig Fagan seem to like and admire PB, but if PB proves to be too expensive I hope the Chairman and the Board can move decisively to find a capable replacement.

Phil stated in an interview in The Echo towards the end of last year that having a CEO would've made his job in his first spell here easier. On that basis I don't think an incoming CEO will affect his decision to return. Should he return full time.
Hope youre right. Have to see how it plays out.

I have reservations about a CEO at this stage. Needed when we were in the EFL but the priority is getting back there with no distraction. No idea what Brown thinks of the idea, but to me, having a third party between Martin and the manager can only add to the miasma of confusion and obfuscation that the club is already mired in. Clever move by Ron to be on board with this so that he can distance himself from a potential conflict between the new CEO, whoever the manager might be and SC hovering in the background.

I am also not sure that bringing in a CEO is the magic bullet that we need. For a start, it adds costs at a time when income will reduce. This doesn't sit well with the ongoing problem of Ron's never ending cash flow problems. Also if PB is appointed it could, as you say lead to some sort of conflict on various issues.

I would hazard a guess that some “ yes” votes are not necessarily pro brown, it’s simply people see the value in the “current “ manager being here next year. This seasons issues started with having a manager in late and no one wants to see that happen again

Couldn't agree more. Phil Brown is not my cup of tea, but he is a Manager and that's what we need. Along with a CEO to run the football department.

If he appoints Craig Fagan as his Assistant, that would be a big thumbs up too. Get Ricky Duncan back running the whole Academy and we have a good foundation to get going.

But it needs to be done this week.

Back