• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you want Brown next season

Do you want Brown to stay?

• Total voters
Apart from the reasons to keep PB already posted, we must bear in mind that other decent managerial candidates might not want to join us, or may want to keep their options open for longer - we don't have time to waste.

I would be happy if Phil Brown signs but its not the be all and end all like some people would have you think, including himself.

This guy would be a good candidate for many reasons.

Managerial career[edit]
Smith was appointed joint caretaker manager of Woking in March 2007 with Graham Baker following the departure of Glenn Cockerill, helping the club to stay in the Conference National.

On 4 May 2007, after failing to get the job full-time, Smith was released by Woking following the appointment of Frank Gray as manager.[3] Two weeks later Smith was appointed as the new manager of Conference South team Welling United following the departure of Adrian Pennock to Stoke City. He held the job until 7 January 2008, when he was sacked.[4] Shortly after this he signed for Bromley as a player.[5]

Smith joined Grays Athletic as part of their coaching staff on 21 February 2008.[6] He then joined Tim O'Shea, with whom he worked with at Grays, at Croydon Athletic as a coach and again followed O'Shea to Lewes as his assistant. Following Lewes's relegation he re-joined Bromley at the start of 2011–12 as part of the coaching staff. Following the departure of Mark Goldberg in February 2016, Smith took over the role on an interim basis. On 4 April, after a successful run of games, Smith signed a two-year contract to become the club's new first team manager.

With someone with the personality of Phil Brown, you always excuse it when things are going well. Once things start to turn sour though .... I felt Brown had run his course when he went the first time, and whilst the history books and hindsight might have proved me wrong, i actually think it was more the embargo's, Ron's utter mismanagement and some chronic injury woes which have led to our staggering decline without Brown

Getting him in now is an absolute no brainer. We simply have to be the most prepared team in the NL to have any chance of going up and if we go in unprepared we have every chance of dropping into the NLS.

I have reservations about a CEO at this stage. Needed when we were in the EFL but the priority is getting back there with no distraction. No idea what Brown thinks of the idea, but to me, having a third party between Martin and the manager can only add to the miasma of confusion and obfuscation that the club is already mired in. Clever move by Ron to be on board with this so that he can distance himself from a potential conflict between the new CEO, whoever the manager might be and SC hovering in the background.

Hi Blues Exile

Couple of things.

It's normal practice for a football club to employ a CEO. There isn't one football club in English football that functions properly without one.

A well run football club uses their CEO and Director of Football ( or equivalent), along with an owner ( or not, the owner puts faith in professionals to run the club properly, no? That's the whole point of employing professionals) to come up with a list of candidates for manager and comes to a consensus. That hasn't happened for at least 7 years, which coincides with loss of Football League status.

As for me being in the background, I'll answer you straight as I've set out to the Chairman.

Either any role I have is very much in the foreground to affect only positive change for the benefit of Southend United Football Club and only Southend United Football Club or I'll be more than happy to continue my life as is.

I'm not here to be a cheerleader, I'm here because I have the tangible ability and contacts within the sport to get everyone reading this, the owner and the club where they want to be.

I'd expect to meet Ron this week as he wishes, but any suggestions from anywhere that I'll be a glorified meet and greet guy can be put to bed here and now. Any role will have teeth or I won't be involved.

Out of simple respect for my time at the club I'd ask everyone to accept one simple truth. I'm here to offer real help, not to walk down memory lane and be patronised.

Stan

As has been mentioned I very much doubt PB will be anything but supportive of a CEO coming in. That structure will help with recruitment and contract negotiations, and PB has seen worts and all how that has been happening in the past.

According to CP PB and Ron met again yesterday. I would imagine the goal is to announce PB, CEO and other related matters this week. let's hope so.

Will be amazed if PB doesn't sign- can you imagine with 90% on here for various reasons wanting him to stay, if he doesn't and then we brought someone else in who started badly there would be meltdown..

I keep coming back to 'sustainable' football club and something is really. 1 puzzling me and 2 making me ask how of Ron Martin.

As I am aware RM and Stan met with a CEO last week. Ron has mentioned he is meeting another one this week and will potentially give them both a job... GREAT.

There is also the shouts of PB must be our manager in the NL. Which I have to agree with, an extra 3 games with PB this season and we would 100% be safe. BUT

How can a club who are dropping to the national league afford PB who will be the highest paid manager in the NL by a country mile and 2 CEOs who I am guessing will be on £75K ish probably more.

I am guessing our wage bill for PB and 2 CEOs will be £300K a year, plus PAYE (which we struggle with anyway). How does this make a sustainable football club? Surely if we try this for a year without promotion we are in a bigger hole than we are now?

Hi Blues Exile

Couple of things.

It's normal practice for a football club to employ a CEO. There isn't one football club in English football that functions properly without one.

A well run football club uses their CEO and Director of Football ( or equivalent), along with an owner ( or not, the owner puts faith in professionals to run the club properly, no? That's the whole point of employing professionals) to come up with a list of candidates for manager and comes to a consensus. That hasn't happened for at least 7 years, which coincides with loss of Football League status.

As for me being in the background, I'll answer you straight as I've set out to the Chairman.

Either any role I have is very much in the foreground to affect only positive change for the benefit of Southend United Football Club and only Southend United Football Club or I'll be more than happy to continue my life as is.

I'm not here to be a cheerleader, I'm here because I have the tangible ability and contacts within the sport to get everyone reading this, the owner and the club where they want to be.

I'd expect to meet Ron this week as he wishes, but any suggestions from anywhere that I'll be a glorified meet and greet guy can be put to bed here and now. Any role will have teeth or I won't be involved.

Out of simple respect for my time at the club I'd ask everyone to accept one simple truth. I'm here to offer real help, not to walk down memory lane and be patronised.

Stan
Thank you Stan, and first of all to take the trouble to reply to my post is for me, all the evidence anyone needs of your sincerity, good intentions and practical solutions to the club's problems. In an ideal world, we would have the perfect combination of a tried and tested manager, a professional CEO and a club legend all pulling in the same direction for the good of the club. I do hope that all this comes to pass and you will have played a large part in it. Thanks again.

I keep coming back to 'sustainable' football club and something is really. 1 puzzling me and 2 making me ask how of Ron Martin.

As I am aware RM and Stan met with a CEO last week. Ron has mentioned he is meeting another one this week and will potentially give them both a job... GREAT.

There is also the shouts of PB must be our manager in the NL. Which I have to agree with, an extra 3 games with PB this season and we would 100% be safe. BUT

How can a club who are dropping to the national league afford PB who will be the highest paid manager in the NL by a country mile and 2 CEOs who I am guessing will be on £75K ish probably more.

I am guessing our wage bill for PB and 2 CEOs will be £300K a year, plus PAYE (which we struggle with anyway). How does this make a sustainable football club? Surely if we try this for a year without promotion we are in a bigger hole than we are now?
On the manager, getting the best available manager will have more bearing on the seasons outcome than any one individual player. And not getting the best manager will also prevent you getting the best out of your biggest financial investment which is the squad. So you can't afford not to.

Decent CEO will pay for themselves many times over though increased revenues/revenue streams maximised and costs minimised/efficiencies gained. And frankly could save their wages a few times over on good recruitment processes/due diligence.

Hi Blues Exile

Couple of things.

Stan

When it comes to getting a positive and robust structure in place at SUFC, the phrase 'speculate to accumulate' rings true. I don't think it's any coincidence that the Club's most 'healthy' periods off and on the pitch in the last decade coincided with the excellent work of Tara Brady and Steve Kavanagh. Brown in particular had a good working relationship with Kavanagh and has mentioned his and Helen Norbury's departures (and the failures to replace either of them adequately) as reasons why things started to go south towards the end of his first spell here.

Last edited:
Well, hopefully Ricky and Craig might help with that. RD on the zoom call said he’d been looking at players and I trust him to recommend decent ones. Remember Stan’s contacts might help too though not sure how that will sit with PB. I do trust that players with fight and the right attitude will be brought in.

I hope someone at least calls tilly aside from his involvement being cool. He seemed very confident in the zoom call there there was a lot of untapped talent in the south east, part time scouting role perhaps?

Any idea why Timlin was there yesterday

Interesting, is this true? Not doubting yourself, just haven't seen this anywhere before now.

I'm being very theoretical here, but if/when Craig becomes part of PB's coaching team, that must mean he can't stay u23s manager? Another potential vacancy

Any idea why Timlin was there yesterday
Interesting, is this true? Not doubting yourself, just haven't seen this anywhere before now.

I'm being very theoretical here, but if/when Craig becomes part of PB's coaching team, that must mean he can't stay u23s manager? Another potential vacancy
yeah definitely even the number plate gave it away

Back