• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
Because on the face of it we have had two or three years of continual improvement on the field. We certainly have the most exciting squad for a while. We are going well in the league and could challenge for promotion.
You would think supporters might be happy and supportive!!?
Errr no. Constant personal abuse at an extremely successful manager in Phil Brown.
The Chairman? Frustrating yes. Makes promises he does not fulfill? Indeed. Poor communicator? Without doubt.
However, balance those observations with THREE trips to the Millenium. TWO visits to Wembley. Three promotions including being crowned Champions of the 3rd tier for the first time in our history. Oh and we beat Manchester United for the hell of it.
So, we have not been wound up, kicked out of Roots Hall or deducted points. Those are really the only business facts that supporters should really care about (unless the club spends pensioners Christmas savings) as in the main the finances are the business of the Board of Directors.
From the incessant slagging off of the most successful Chairman in our history and a successful manager - you would think we are bottom of League 2 with a desperate team, having had points deducted for our financial irregularities.
But we have not! So why do so many whinge on and on as though we have?
Do you actually support Southend United and look forward to further success? It would appear not.

Of course... but I think there is also a not insignificant number that want to say "Told you so"

I don't think it not wanting the club to succeed (might be a few closet Spammers but very very few). I think its a cultural thing. We live in country where we love to have someone to blame, someone to point the finger at, someone to build up so we can knock them down. Bad news makes great stories the media want to publish and we want to read. Good news is tolerated. We are no longer a country of shopkeepers but Victor's and Victoria's. However those in the know, know we really don't mean it (I think..)

Because on the face of it we have had two or three years of continual improvement on the field. We certainly have the most exciting squad for a while. We are going well in the league and could challenge for promotion.
You would think supporters might be happy and supportive!!?
Errr no. Constant personal abuse at an extremely successful manager in Phil Brown.
The Chairman? Frustrating yes. Makes promises he does not fulfill? Indeed. Poor communicator? Without doubt.
However, balance those observations with THREE trips to the Millenium. TWO visits to Wembley. Three promotions including being crowned Champions of the 3rd tier for the first time in our history. Oh and we beat Manchester United for the hell of it.
So, we have not been wound up, kicked out of Roots Hall or deducted points. Those are really the only business facts that supporters should really care about (unless the club spends pensioners Christmas savings) as in the main the finances are the business of the Board of Directors.
From the incessant slagging off of the most successful Chairman in our history and a successful manager - you would think we are bottom of League 2 with a desperate team, having had points deducted for our financial irregularities.
But we have not! So why do so many whinge on and on as though we have?
Do you actually support Southend United and look forward to further success? It would appear not.
Not really sure what has brought this on. You can be VERY supportive of a manager/chairman or anyone, it doesn't mean you shouldn't question decisions and it doesn't mean you have to agree with everything they do/say. Too many people don't Understand this and "assume " you are anti because you question a decision or don't agree with it

The Zone exists for opinion and debate.

People will always have differences of views and , therefore win or lose, not everyone will be happy.

If people only want to read super-good stuff the visit our other site www.it'sbloodybrillianthere.co.uk cos the Zone is not for you.

Here's to many more years of debates by the masses who want the best for SUFC irrespective of who the chairman or manager is.

Not really sure what has brought this on. You can be VERY supportive of a manager/chairman or anyone, it doesn't mean you shouldn't question decisions and it doesn't mean you have to agree with everything in hey do/say. Too many people don't Understand this and "assume " you are anti because you question ca decision or don't agree with it.

Fair point.
My point is that IMO the constant abuse of both RM and PB is not at all supportive. I get that RM is frustrating and those frustrations are aired and at times exaggerated out of all proportion. Meanwhile any mention of any on-field success associated with RM's time as Chairman is played down or largely avoided.

The Zone exists for opinion and debate.

People will always have differences of views and , therefore win or lose, not everyone will be happy.

If people only want to read super-good stuff the visit our other site www.it'sbloodybrillianthere.co.uk cos the Zone is not for you.

Here's to many more years of debates by the masses who want the best for SUFC irrespective of who the chairman or manager is.

Absolutely typical case in point. The link doesn't work..

Pretty sure Jonny Stokes and Colchester and Proud would be happy to see us keeping them company in the basement division.

I blame Donald Trump and his alleged army of Russian hackers. They have clearly infiltrated the multiple layers of security on the zone and made posts aimed at division between the fans. It is obvious to anyone that Saarfenders have no brains and at best can only follow one opinion at a time. The Blues Party line is that all is well with the ground, the finances and all things manager related. Those pesky rusky conspiracy pedlars have much to answer too. I beseech the mods to instantly delete any post that has any alternative view or appears to have a suspicious agenda.

Pretty sure Jonny Stokes and Colchester and Proud would be happy to see us keeping them company in the basement division.

Pretty sure there is an obsessive poster who is even happier than these when we lose :whistling:

Does everybody on here actually want Southend United to succeed? .

Wanting the club to succeed and wanting the club to act in a decent way towards all its employees and supporters need not be mutually exclusive.

A good proportion of the posts on SZ are done with humour in mind

It is arguably easier to seek a laugh out of situations that have a negative side to them and so they will tend to spin a bigger line.

PB and RM are the main men so will be natural targets. I reckon they are savvy enough to know this and for their own health will probably ignore it all (otherwise they will have thrown in the towel long ago)

Sometimes folk go too far but if you feel that then you can either ignore or have your say. The same happens at the ground.

The football way tends to be that information is not always forthcoming so in its absence we are bound to speculate

I am sure that 99.9% of the posters on here want the club to win - I suspect even JS and C&P are closet Shrimpers.

RM is a target at the mo because he has done something which on the face of it seems poor, his press release just added fuel to the fire, and we are lacking the full story so human nature is that folk will look to fill in the gaps. That said, there are still many folk on here actively pedaling a more positive spin

Folk agree, folk disagree, folk say daft things, folk can be funny

It's a pub thing. SZ is an online pub without the beer. We can go in, we don't have to drink it all, or we can stay away and drink home alone.

I wish we were as good as the club I built us up to be on championship manager but I am a realist. We are making progress under PB, we are building a good squad so I am happy with the football side of things. I still think the club could do more in terms of keeping the fans up to date with what is going on, most of the news we get comes from Chris Phillips at the Echo long before we get anything from the club, however I am encouraged by the work of the club in trying to engage with the next generation of fans. The youth side of the club I would say I superb we seem to be producing far more players for the first team than we have for years. My biggest gripe of all though is the complete and utter silence regarding FF

I totally agree that SZ is a vehicle for debate - long may it continue.
I posed the question to find out any cause for the constant personal abuse...not debate.
It appears there is none. ; ))
Love SZ and the opinions and always interested to have insight into those opinions.

Fair point.
My point is that IMO the constant abuse of both RM and PB is not at all supportive. I get that RM is frustrating and those frustrations are aired and at times exaggerated out of all proportion. Meanwhile any mention of any on-field success associated with RM's time as Chairman is played down or largely avoided.

There isn't constant abuse? Not that I've seen. It's all very well saying that in the decades Ron has been in charge we've had some successful seasons. We did before him and we will after. It should be remembered that the club was having its most successful ever period just before he took over (under David Webb & Jobson). For all the good years there have also been dreadful ones - Wignall, Martin, Newman, Whelan and others were dreadful. All football clubs experience a bit of success and a bit of failure over the decades. It is not what's happened on the pitch during Ron's tenure that is particularly out of the ordinary compared to the achievements of other clubs. What is different is the stadium situation. Commenting on that is both justified and a statement of fact. It doesn't mean we don't support or are passionate about Southend, or get behind the team on matchdays - quite the contrary in fact.

Back