• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Does RM really put £100k a month into SUFC ?

• I believe RM does put £100k a month of his own money into keeping SUFC afloat every month

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I believe RM does put £100k into keeping SUFC afloat every month via his other companies

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • I believe £100k a month does come into the club via RM's web of companies but on paper only

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • I don't believe he puts £100k a month in end of

Votes: 56 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sainsbury have kept us afloat for the last few seasons, simple as that.

Ron is unlikely to have put any of his own money in, as I sincerely doubt he is in a position to do that. Not to the tune of £60k+ per month anyway.

The problem is, are Sainsbury going to continue putting money in which is basically advanced payments on the purchase of Roots Hall?.....especially when jack **** is happening on the FF front.

Surely there will come a time when Sainsbury think hang on a minute, we have pumped in £5m+ up front here and have nothing to show for it. So what happens when they withdraw their funding? (Thats if they haven't already) is Ron going to find the required wonga to keep us above water?

And what happens if Sainsbury pull out? (which has already been rumoured) how is Ron/SUFC going to pay that huge advancement back and what happens to Roots Hall?

Why is the Section 106 agreement still not signed?

Why have Prospects/Pizza places/Flats etc not been purchased?

All valid questions in my eyes, that deserve honest answers.

This is why an AGM needs to be held and questions like these need to be answered by Ron himself. Not questions about players, kits, favourite films and food etc directed to Brown or Kavanagh.

I would suggest Sainsburys have more than enough resources to get the stadium moving now if they wanted to. Ron is not holding it up, in fact I'm sure Ron is the one who wants Sainsbury to get moving asap..

In what way do you think Ron is holding this up???

If that was his plan that's what he would have done rather than paying off the 2 million tax debt to keep SUFC going and borrowing all of the money he has.

Sorry, but Im not happy with Ron Martin and what he has done, but that scenario really makes no sense.

He had the clubs interests at heart when he entered into this, he obviously wanted to make money first and foremost, but the scale of the stadium far exceeds what he could have proposed to get us off of Roots Hall. He wouldnt get planning permission to try to build on Roots Hall without moving us.
What if the £2M debt paid is insignificant in the grander scheme of things and will be dwarfed by the potential profit that a residential development makes ?

He openly stated he had no real interest in football when he took over, do you honestly expect me to believe he has true affection for the club and has it's best interests at heart ?

As for not getting planning permission without moving us I disagree, if you were the council what would you rather have, the eyesore that Roots Hall has become or a development of new homes on the site, you really think the council care whether or not SUFC play locally or not ?

Would love to hear the views of some councillors that have been involved with this project from the start.

What if the £2M debt paid is insignificant in the grander scheme of things and will be dwarfed by the potential profit that a residential development makes ?

He openly stated he had no real interest in football when he took over, do you honestly expect me to believe he has true affection for the club and has it's best interests at heart ?

As for not getting planning permission without moving us I disagree, if you were the council what would you rather have, the eyesore that Roots Hall has become or a development of new homes on the site, you really think the council care whether or not SUFC play locally or not ?

Would love to hear the views of some councillors that have been involved with this project from the start.

Here is one from February:

There are sceptics, including a Conservative member of Southend Council’s planning committee who cast serious doubt on the plans last year.
The unnamed member said: “There is not one member of the committee who actually believes it will ever be built.”

I would suggest Sainsburys have more than enough resources to get the stadium moving now if they wanted to. Ron is not holding it up, in fact I'm sure Ron is the one who wants Sainsbury to get moving asap..

Where have I said Ron is holding the development up?

I too believe Sainsbury are stalling now. The question is why and what is the next step?

Are they getting cold feet perhaps?

That said Ron is also to blame. He cannot play the old "banking collapse" card any longer...countless new build stadia have sprung up in the last couple of years.

Last edited:

If all he was in it for was us out of business and to make money why would he throw away 2 million pounds. He never had to do that.

No he wasnt into football to start with but his actions show that he took it to his heart, he never had to pay the tax debt off, never had to try to build such a fancy stadium, wouldnt have had to sack Tilson for getting us relegated.

Why sack Sturrock for not getting promoted and bringing in an expensive Phil Brown and backroom team if he didnt want promotion or care about football?

If you look at it with a little objectivity his actions dont match your scenario. He wouldn't have got us in debt in the first place trying to get back into the Championship, wouldnt have paid the tax bill, would have designed a Col U type meccano stadium and got us out as cheaply as possible.

Im not happy with him as an owner and would rather he left asap, but Im not going to turn him into something he isnt. He took on more than he could deliver and has been hanging on for far too long and made a pigs ear of it, thats enough in itself.

Last edited:

If thats the case and if its so simple why didnt it happen 5 years ago?

If Sainsbury have had a change of policy and thats what is causing the problem that will have only been recently.

As a slight aside, why do people have such an issue with Rons money/Ron's 'web' of companies, Sainsbury money. How many of us have a mortgage, how many have a loan for their cars. Do you call it your house or ,'Barclays etc' house. When you bought your car with a loan did you call it your money or the 'Banks ' money? Just saying.

Anyway, the account s show every year we are loosing money. Every chief exec has said the same.

If all he was in it for was us out of business and to make money why would he throw away 2 million pounds. He never had to do that.

No he wasnt into football to start with but his actions show that he took it to his heart, he never had to pay the tax debt off, never had to try to build such a fancy stadium, wouldnt have had to sack Tilson for getting us relegated.

Why sack Sturrock for not getting promoted and bringing in an expensive Phil Brown and backroom team if he didnt want promotion or care about football?

If you look at it with a little objectivity his actions dont match your scenario. He wouldn't have got us in debt in the first place trying to get back into the Championship, wouldnt have paid the tax bill, would have designed a Col U type meccano stadium and got us out as cheaply as possible.

Im not happy with him as an owner and would rather he left asap, but Im not going to turn him into something he isnt. He took on more than he could deliver and has been hanging on for far too long and made a pigs ear of it, thats enough in itself.
The £2M is nothing compared to what he would make if RH was developed, speculate to accumulate, a standard business practice.

Where has he tried to build a fancy stadium ? He hasn't tried to build anything as far as I can see, it's all just hot air with zero substance.

As for your points regarding football matters what would you expect him to do nothing ? Not having the clubs genuine best interests at heart doesn't mean he can sit back and let it stumble around, he has to be seen to be running it, I doubt he really cares though as the end game is the golden goose that is Roots Hall laying it's big fat golden egg so looking at it objectively as he has no real interest in the future fortunes of the club beyond any property development my theory makes sense, to me anyway.

Finally why does my quote show me asking about Sturrock and Brown being brought in ? I never posted that could you please amend ? Thanks

Some of you really need to wake up! Of course RM is the one holding things up - HE CANT SECURE THE FINANCE! The project is too costly and too big for a small-time developer with very poor credit and no access to more finance. We've been fobbed off for years about 'work will start soon.' i suspect some of you will still be shouting 'Ron will sort this out, in Ron we trust' as the administrators pull up at RH....

Why is he still here... simple, he stands to make a fortune on the WHOLE development IF he gets it all done (shops, flats, sainburys etc). He'd much rather not have the Club element as thats the 'loss-leader' in all this but he's saddled with that as part of the overall plan. IF the whole Fossets development ever gets done he'll be gone in no time from the club, until then we are lumbered with him or until the whole thing collapses or the whole deal is sold as a package to a developer who can afford it.

My guess is the lack of a 'proper' sponsor is because the club couldn't find anyone willing to pay the going rate for their name on the shirt, evidence of the club/RM not having a good rep among local firms maybe? A
lso it means less revenue for club, I'm sure Insure+Go were paying a decent amount every season, I bet MD will never pay a penny to SUFC.

Either way we are stuck with Ron and his smoke and mirrors 'I've invested xxx millions' routine. I fear the worst.

The £2M is nothing compared to what he would make if RH was developed, speculate to accumulate, a standard business practice.

Where has he tried to build a fancy stadium ? He hasn't tried to build anything as far as I can see, it's all just hot air with zero substance.

As for your points regarding football matters what would you expect him to do nothing ? Not having the clubs genuine best interests at heart doesn't mean he can sit back and let it stumble around, he has to be seen to be running it, I doubt he really cares though as the end game is the golden goose that is Roots Hall laying it's big fat golden egg so looking at it objectively as he has no real interest in the future fortunes of the club beyond any property development my theory makes sense, to me anyway.

Finally why does my quote show me asking about Sturrock and Brown being brought in ? I never posted that could you please amend ? Thanks

Your reasoning doesnt match your theory.

Why would he want to keep the club doing well if he just wants us out. Why pay £2million taxes when he could just go into administration like many clubs do.

Why cant he just get a mediocre manager in, not bother getting players in and letting us just drop out of the league, that would surely meet his needs better if he is going along with your plan?

If he just wants us up the wall or ground sharing he is going a very long winded way in doing it, we could have been bust 5 years ago.

Now he has built up 10 million of debts that if he did what you suggest he would lose out on.

(Apologies for quotes, I wondered where that sentence had gone when I typed it!)

Your reasoning doesnt match your theory.

Why would he want to keep the club doing well if he just wants us out. Why pay £2million taxes when he could just go into administration like many clubs do.

If he just wants us up the wall or ground sharing he is going a very long winded way in doing it, we could have been bust 5 years ago.

Now he has built up 10 million of debts that if he did what you suggest he would lose out on.

(Apologies for quotes, I wondered where that sentence had gone when I typed it!)

Because Roots Hall will then be owned by another party...

Some of you really need to wake up! Of course RM is the one holding things up - HE CANT SECURE THE FINANCE! The project is too costly and too big for a small-time developer with very poor credit and no access to more finance. We've been fobbed off for years about 'work will start soon.' i suspect some of you will still be shouting 'Ron will sort this out, in Ron we trust' as the administrators pull up at RH....

Why is he still here... simple, he stands to make a fortune on the WHOLE development IF he gets it all done (shops, flats, sainburys etc). He'd much rather not have the Club element as thats the 'loss-leader' in all this but he's saddled with that as part of the overall plan. IF the whole Fossets development ever gets done he'll be gone in no time from the club, until then we are lumbered with him or until the whole thing collapses or the whole deal is sold as a package to a developer who can afford it.

My guess is the lack of a 'proper' sponsor is because the club couldn't find anyone willing to pay the going rate for their name on the shirt, evidence of the club/RM not having a good rep among local firms maybe? A
lso it means less revenue for club, I'm sure Insure+Go were paying a decent amount every season, I bet MD will never pay a penny to SUFC.

Either way we are stuck with Ron and his smoke and mirrors 'I've invested xxx millions' routine. I fear the worst.

As Ive said repeatedly over the past week, we did have offers of sponsorship.

Rest of your post makes sense, although not sure many are saying in Ron we Trust, you are preaching to the converted !

Because Roots Hall will then be owned by another party...

Back then before Sainsbury pumped in the money if we went into administration he was the main creditor.

How would Roots Hall have been owned by another party?

Surely by paying the tax and borrowing the money to do so he actually increased the chance of that happening?

Jam, The reason he paid the 2 mill tax bill is because he can do nothing at RH without securing us/SUFC a new home as per the Councils ruling.

Rm might well make up the shortfall within the club each month with somebody elses money. He has NO CHOICE in that matter, if we don't exist until his grand plan comes together then neither will he.

If he had a pot to P*** in he would not keep borrowing off others such as Tara Brady as go to the point of bankruptcy (which was very close).

Sainsburys have kept us alive and a few others that were sucked in along the way.. I doubt that will continue for much longer if no moves are made to actually start work on FF.

Time will tell and all I want at the end of the day is a future for our club without that parasite at the helm.

Jam, The reason he paid the 2 mill tax bill is because he can do nothing at RH without securing us/SUFC a new home as per the Councils ruling.

Rm might well make up the shortfall within the club each month with somebody elses money. He has NO CHOICE in that matter, if we don't exist until his grand plan comes together then neither will he.

If he had a pot to P*** in he would not keep borrowing off others such as Tara Brady as go to the point of bankruptcy (which was very close).

Sainsburys have kept us alive and a few others that were sucked in along the way.. I doubt that will continue for much longer if no moves are made to actually start work on FF.

Time will tell and all I want at the end of the day is a future for our club without that parasite at the helm.

Which just backs up with what I have been saying, that he doesn't want us to go up the wall or to ground share...

I have severe doubts as to whether we will ever have a new stadium.
Oh ye of little faith.

I have said to my mate, on a few occasions over the years, that I hope to sit in the new ground before I die and I still believe this to be the case.

Having said all that, I have recently felt the need to change the estimate of my age, when my time finally comes, to 198!

Remember that RH is worth a mint.

If I remember correctly Ron wants to build somewhere in the region of 300 residential units at RH.

At a conservative price of £150k each, thats £45m....not a bad retirement fund.

Which just backs up with what I have been saying, that he doesn't want us to go up the wall or to ground share...
You're missing the point, creating the illusion that we are a "normal" lower league club striving for success with the added promise of a shiny new stadium could be part of the smoke and mirrors game he's playing, I sincerely hope i'm wrong but never underestimate how greed and money can create unpleasant and ruthless individuals, they will stop at nothing to land the prize.

You're missing the point, creating the illusion that we are a "normal" lower league club striving for success with the added promise of a shiny new stadium could be part of the smoke and mirrors game he's playing, I sincerely hope i'm wrong but never underestimate how greed and money can create unpleasant and ruthless individuals, they will stop at nothing to land the prize.

Again, makes no sense.

Why go through all of that if all he ever wanted was us gone.

If he was just out to get rid of us and get the prize it would be very easy. Administration, no investment in the team so we drop out of the league. Not 5 years of struggle getting into 10m+ debt eating away all of his profits.

Back