• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update Doesn't look like anyone's coming in...

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
From the Echo

Brushey "reveals" we will be looking to bolster our 16 man outfield squad with loan signings. However, it is unlikely that there will be much movement until after the Premier league starts as they will then have a better idea of what players they want to send out.

Also we are constantly talent spotting at friendlies in the search for a left back. There may be a new triallist who will play there against Wycombe. Brush says we are "hoping" to get someone in.

So that is almost confirmation that we won't get these extra 4 signings then.

That is really quite worrying. Heres hoping our fragile squad can keep fit otherwise i fear we could be in real trouble.

This really does point to the fact that finances are tighter then we first thought at Southend..

Crazy, absolutely crazy.

400+ Pros out of work and we cannot find 3 or 4 to come in and bolster the squad. Tilly always goes on about 'getting people in that are better than we have' - well now, all they have to be is 'better than nothing'.

I've never known a manager so reluctant to make signings.

It will end up that we will have some injuries/suspensions and end up with rush panic buys, when with 400 free transfers, we should have been getting people in on trial to see what they've got.

Very poor :(

So is the Grant deal dead?

I bloody hope not, 16 outfield players, one of those out for 8 weeks, Barnard not 100% fit and Harold & Foran have been told by management there future lies away from Roots Hall

I urge the crowd to bring there boots and shinpads, might get a place on the bench saturday week !!!

I think 16 is being very generous- 3 of those are bloody keepers! So 13 outfield players including 3 youths who have never played a single minute of professional football. Joke!

Well we have got 9 days till the start of the season so we can only pray!

Are you having a f*cking laugh?

Let's take a look at the squad that will be competing this year, taken from the squad numbers...

1. Steve Mildenhall
2. Simon Francis
4. Nicky Bailey
5. Peter Clarke
6. Adam Barrett
8. Alan McCormack
9. Lee Barnard
10. James Walker
11. Alex Revell
12. Damian Scannell
14. Franck Moussa
15. Osei Sankofa
18. Johnny Herd
20. Matt Harrold
22. Richie Foran
24. Ian Joyce
25. Clark Masters
29. Paul Furlong
30. Stuart O'Keefe
43. David Marrable

Ok, let's take off the competition winner/more money than sense man as well as the 3 Goalkeepers:

2. Simon Francis
4. Nicky Bailey
5. Peter Clarke
6. Adam Barrett
8. Alan McCormack
9. Lee Barnard
10. James Walker
11. Alex Revell
12. Damian Scannell
14. Franck Moussa
15. Osei Sankofa
18. Johnny Herd
20. Matt Harrold
22. Richie Foran
29. Paul Furlong
30. Stuart O'Keefe

Now let's take off O'Keefe and Herd as, despite impressing in pre-season, have barely played an ounce of competitive football in their lives. Also deduct from that Foran and Harrold who won't put on a blue's shirt unless it's absolutely imperative that we do.

2. Simon Francis
4. Nicky Bailey
5. Peter Clarke
6. Adam Barrett
8. Alan McCormack
9. Lee Barnard
10. James Walker
11. Alex Revell
12. Damian Scannell
14. Franck Moussa
15. Osei Sankofa
29. Paul Furlong

That's 12 outfield players with 10 outfield positions to fill. Of those 12, 4 are strikers, played anywhere else they'll be out of position. No feasible left back without shaking the team up, no left wing without shaking the team up and, with Macca out and Moussa more than likely to start, the midfield looks incredibly lightweight.

Yes. Indeed we are f*cked without bodies being brought in. Anybody who doesn't think that is living in cloud cuckoo land i'm afraid.

were's the share money.............................................

aaah our property developer chairman is really showing his love for football now he has finally got what he wants,

ooooh **** yer the football team , aaah tell them im busy

**** me you have got to be joking.....

How the hell can we expect to challenge with a squad this thin. I am not going to moan about lack of money to buy players but there are so many players without clubs and we dont seem to be able to attract / want any of them.

I agree with Tillys smaller squad policy so players are hungry but when you remove Foran and Harrold from the numbers it becomes a bad joke.

Even if we only spent the £130k (?) raised from sale of Hooper and Macdonald I would have been happy.

A few knocks and injuries and we are down to a team of kids.

The sad thing is that Harrold and Foran actually seem like quite senior players and good options at the moment.

One can only hope that they play out of their skin in the hope of securing a transfer, and by doing so win the crowd round, rediscover their form and become firm favourites at the Hall.

It has happened before... any other oldies remember Derrick Parker in the 1970's? He was a total donkey for the first few weeks and became a target of the boo boys. He asked for a transfer and the club listed him. Because he wanted to go so much he gave 100%, put himself about and suddenly everyone saw what he could do. In went the goals, he was suddenly a fans favourite and I think he stayed for 2 or 3 seasons.

Love him or hate him, the squad look would look better for having Tommy Black in there! I thought when he, along with the others were shown the door sharpely it was beacuse we would be having some new sparkley signings lined up already.

As someone mentioned, with so many out of work players, there must be some people that could fill our squad out.

If however it is down to finances then I think the club should just come out and say this explicitly. I have no qualms with our manager or chairman keeping a tight fiscal hand on matters if the figures dictate such a course of action.

I odn't want you upset any of you, and I know the majority don't ever agree with me, but I just want to let you into a couple of little facts, hhhhm get ready people, CM did want to come here, he did want to sign for us, he was holding out for us, and knocked swindon back for us, unfortunately all the interest from RM soon vanished as he tried to play a game with Wolves over the transfer fee, (which we now know was more in the region of £8- than the £150 quoted) anyway after RM kept swerving wolves CM Agent etc and not getting any answers from the club, he finally got itchy feet and had to look else were

Also im sorry to all you glass half full types but I happen to know a Peterborough scout ( i know quite a few people but because I didnt play again the old soutehnd players at MTBD im only gonna get shot down for any of my posts name dropping etc well anyway the perosn I know has scouted on two southend games and quite frankly it was all very embarressing but they are laughing at us, watched us against billericay and another i have forgotten who it was , and was really really surprised at how poor we look, and just said mclean will have a field day against us. and was generally surprised at just how poor we looked having expected to see quite a proffesional outfit i know obviously thats just early doors and it is pre season, im aware of that like you guys are, but hmm it kinda feked me off abit, anway ill leave you all now as I bore you

I do fear Mclean and Posh could hand us out a hammering on the first day esp with no Macca and possibly no Barney.

Tommy Black could have done us a job. Were his wages too high?Gower and Flavs were also on good wages is that why they went?.
What is the point of waiting till the premiership games start to see who is available, by that time we c ould have 3 or 4 more injured in training ect.

Love him or hate him, the squad look would look better for having Tommy Black in there! I thought when he, along with the others were shown the door sharpely it was beacuse we would be having some new sparkley signings lined up already.

As someone mentioned, with so many out of work players, there must be some people that could fill our squad out.

If however it is down to finances then I think the club should just come out and say this explicitly. I have no qualms with our manager or chairman keeping a tight fiscal hand on matters if the figures dictate such a course of action.

Things are such that I never thought I would say bring Tommy B(l)ack, where is he? Gillingham probably.

Is it seven on the bench this season?

Back