• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dog advice

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
My self and the wife have been talking about getting a dog for about the last 6 months, we have considered all sorts of breeds and whether we should get 1 or 2.

We decided to get 2 Border Collie puppies, due to their temperament, intelligence and general loyalty. We have a large steading with a Barn/stable that is the probably 5 times the size of a normal garage.

The dogs will be kept outside permanently, having the run of the land and having the stable to live in and see k shelter. They are 9 weeks old, due their first set of inoculation on Wednesday and the last set the following fortnight.

Does anyone have any advice…..do’s and dont's……….tips …Ect that may help us do the right thing in bringing up these lovely little boys

n689425473_1962081_2127787.jpg

n689425473_1962097_214322.jpg

Dave, they're beautiful! But what on earth are you going to do with them next time you're due down here?

Make sure they're piping hot throughout and the juices are clear before you eat them.

Wicked, wicked man! How can you bear to leave them outside?! Poor things - amazingly intelligent, border collies are.

They will be fine, hardy breed and won't mind what they are used to. Healthier for it, as well.

Bloke in Alaska got a couple of Newfoundlands. Built them kennels, and then to shelter the kennels put a Berm of snow around three sides. He was a bit anxious about how they had got on the first night, especially as it had snowed again. At dawn he threw open the window and peered out anxiously - only to see both dogs fast asleep on top of the snow berm.

Wicked, wicked man! How can you bear to leave them outside?! Poor things - amazingly intelligent, border collies are.

They were born on a farm, and have never ever been in a house in their 9 short weeks on this planet and that is the way think we should keep it

They were born on a farm, and have never ever been in a house in their 9 short weeks on this planet and that is the way think we should keep it

I absolutely agree with you, but I'm too tender hearted to be able to stick with that. I'd have to be sneaking them in after you'd gone to bed - have you checked up on Senga btw?

My self and the wife have been talking about getting a dog for about the last 6 months, we have considered all sorts of breeds and whether we should get 1 or 2.

We decided to get 2 Border Collie puppies, due to their temperament, intelligence and general loyalty. We have a large steading with a Barn/stable that is the probably 5 times the size of a normal garage.

The dogs will be kept outside permanently, having the run of the land and having the stable to live in and see k shelter. They are 9 weeks old, due their first set of inoculation on Wednesday and the last set the following fortnight.

Does anyone have any advice…..do’s and dont's……….tips …Ect that may help us do the right thing in bringing up these lovely little boys

n689425473_1962081_2127787.jpg

n689425473_1962097_214322.jpg

Well don't challenge them to a general knowledge quiz, they will outdo you every time ;)

I absolutely agree with you, but I'm too tender hearted to be able to stick with that. I'd have to be sneaking them in after you'd gone to bed - have you checked up on Senga btw?

You are not the first to question whether Senga will put my duvet cover in the stable for me and take the dogs in to the house but she assures me that her opinion of them is that they aare working dogs and should be running around our land protecting it and not curled up in front of the open fire in the house.

You are not the first to question whether Senga will put my duvet cover in the stable for me and take the dogs in to the house but she assures me that her opinion of them is that they aare working dogs and should be running around our land protecting it and not curled up in front of the open fire in the house.

Dave, there are working dogs on the farm when we go to visit the in laws. Their kennel is outside, that doesn't stop them from looking at you out of those big brown eyes beseechingly, and certainly doesn't stop me when I'm up there, going, oh, come on then and indulging in lots of fuss and tummy rubs, and the dogs going to sleep under my legs while we're watching tv of an evening.

Dave, there are working dogs on the farm when we go to visit the in laws. Their kennel is outside, that doesn't stop them from looking at you out of those big brown eyes beseechingly, and certainly doesn't stop me when I'm up there, going, oh, come on then and indulging in lots of fuss and tummy rubs, and the dogs going to sleep under my legs while we're watching tv of an evening.

I know what you are saying Kay, and looking at them, it is a struggle but I feel that what you invest in them at this tender age will reap the rewards later in their lives.

They are used to living outside and i do not want that to change, they are very lively and very demanding of mental stimulation. I am sure that i read somewhere that they are the most intelligent dog breed in the world and are even put in the top intelligent category for animal along side Dolphins and Monkeys.

No,you're right, border collies are the most intelligent breed which is why they do so well at obedience classes and stuff. So, what are they called then?

No,you're right, border collies are the most intelligent breed which is why they do so well at obedience classes and stuff. So, what are they called then?

If you look at the 2 pics, the first one, (Mine) is called Bow and the second (Senga's) is called Zac

Bowzac, Zacbow - nope, don't see the connection! Very, very sweet though and don't often get brown ones or will they go dark?

Bowzac, Zacbow - nope, don't see the connection! Very, very sweet though and don't often get brown ones or will they go dark?
Brown/white Border Collies are very few and far between.

Bow was named after my favourite drink.....Strongbow and Zac was named by Senga and as I understand it, it is the name she was going to be given if she was born a boy

Back