• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
Dom gives his views on Nigeria's world cup qualification

David Ngobua
11 October 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email|Print|Comment
Share:
Abuja — For failing to grab the maximum points in the 2010 World Cup qualifying match against their Tunisian counterparts, the Super Eagles of Nigeria have been described as a team in a desperate situation and must do something extra-ordinary to qualify for South Africa 2010.

Speaking to Trustsports moments after the match which ended in a barren draw, former Eagles international and executive committee member of the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, Mr. Dominic Iorfa Mtem said that the team is in dilemma and the only solution is for the team to pick up the maximum points in all the remaining matches.

Although most Nigerian football fans have condemned the team over its failure to win the crucial match, the vice-chairman of Lobi Stars of Makurdi expressed satisfaction with the performance of the players as he said they played according to instructions.

Iorfa said the team went to Tunisia to pick at least a point and should be commended for not losing the match as he said defeat would have sealed the hopes of Nigerians as far as 2010 World Cup is concerned.

"I am very satisfied with the result and the performance of the players because they played according to instructions. Had it been they went all out for the maximum points, may be something else would have happened and that would have been a big disaster" he stated.

He said since the qualifiers is played on home and away basis, any team that plays at home enjoys all the advantages adding that the Tunisians had their opportunity but failed to utilize it to the fullest and should expect defeat when they come to Nigeria for the second leg.

Iorfa maintained that the Super Eagles are invincible at home and would surely win the remaining two home matches against Mozambique and Tunisia.

"Eagles have the record of not losing at home. I believe the team will not drop any point at home and even fight for the maximum points when they travel to Kenya for the return leg. The players themselves know what is at stake and would not take chances" he assured.

Relevant Links
West Africa
Nigeria
Soccer
Sport
He however pleaded with Nigerians to give the players a chance to qualify the country for the World Cup as he said unnecessary criticisms may distract the players and their handlers.

"As I urge Nigerians to give total support to the team, I wish to disagree with my good friend Gara-Gombe who is of the opinion that the Eagles are on another wild goose chase. He may have good reasons for castigating those in authority but that should not be extended to the national team for the sake of it" he advised.

He substantiated that what the team needs at this time is constructive criticisms that would challenge the players and their handlers to do more.

Iorfa reiterated that all desperate situations need desperate measures so even if the players are not playing up to their potentials, the most important thing is for them to qualify the country for the world cup.

Not read the article I must confess but I think you will find his son plays for the under 12's or something like that.

Back