• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DON'T COME TO THE HALL

andrew_sthnd

Coach
...if all you intend to do is slate our own players and subject them to constant abuse! I was sitting front row of the south upper in block I and all i could hear from a group of guys a couple of rows behind me was "jcr is a f*ckin waste of space" "paytner was disgraceful on saturday" and "flahavan would have saved ellingtons shot on saturday if he was taller" and they proceded to abuse the majority of the southend players throughout the game! These kinds of comments do not help the team! What ever your opinion of the players it is a fact that jcr works hard up and down the wing all game, paynter covered so much ground last nite it was unreal, capping off the performance with a goal and flahavan is a fantastic shot stopper so much so he got the player of the year award last year! At the end of the day you come to watch Southend so you can Support the team! Lets get off the players backs and get behind the lads - we all know what kind of difference it can make, ie Norwich last tuesday!

This subject often turns up on Talk Sport and is argued by Ardian Durham that if a fan pays his money he is entitled to voice his opinion, regardlkess of whatever it is. Rodney Marsh on the other hand thinks booing or slagging off your own players is disgusting.
Personally I take the view that every spectator is entitled to shout what he wants but if you go there to support your team, and hopefully see them win, getting on their backs cant possibly help them.
A lot of fans will automatically let out a sigh or groan when a player makes a mistake which would be nothing on its own but if 2 or 3000 people do it at once it makes an impact. Unfortunately unavoidable.
The question is will a player respond better or worse if the crowd get on his back?

It's just a case of using your brain, really, isn't it?

Will shouting, "Paynter, you're a c%&t. f%&k off!" aid Billy Paynter in his quest to score goals or will it hamper him?

Think hard now...

If you've paid £20 to watch a game, then obviously you can do whatever you want. Just don't try and kid yourself that you're helping.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Sep. 20 2006,11:31)]It's just a case of using your brain, really, isn't it?

Will shouting, "Paynter, you're a c%&t. f%&k off!" aid Billy Paynter in his quest to score goals or will it hamper him?

Think hard now...

If you've paid £20 to watch a game, then obviously you can do whatever you want. Just don't try and kid yourself that you're helping.
You are exactly right! I suppose my post wasn't really aimed at most of the people who frequent this board - i am just frustrated that people dont realise how discouraging it can be to hear the kinds of things I heard being shouted at one of our own players!

I might have the odd groan at a game but I never resort to personal abuse at any time. At the end of the day we're there to support OUR team. However boards like this are there so people can voice their opinions and I'll praise someone if they're doing well and criticise someone if I find them very frustrating or if they're not justifying their place in the side - I see no problem with that whatsoever.

This bloke behind me reckoned Flavs should have done better with Brighton's 1st goal. Tw*t

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Sep. 20 2006,11:48)]I might have the odd groan at a game but I never resort to personal abuse at any time. At the end of the day we're there to support OUR team. However boards like this are there so people can voice their opinions and I'll praise someone if they're doing well and criticise someone if I find them very frustrating or if they're not justifying their place in the side - I see no problem with that whatsoever.
I think most people groan when something goes wrong, it is after all a natural reaction borne from the emotion of the game. But witless and personal abuse should not happen, and it certainly won't make the players play better.

To put another spin on it, if you are sat at work and your boss/colleague whatever says to you that you are worthless piece of sh!t, and why don't you f**k off, is this incentive to try harder? I think not.

I've said exactly the same thing in various other threads...

Last night i was sandwiched between 2 idiots who spent the whole 90 minutes slagging Paynter off, branding him a "lard arse *******" amongst other things... Which considering they each had a toddler with them wasn't the greatest idea in the world.

This was mainly down to him not running for balls pumped 10/20 yards ahead of him that hes never going to reach.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Sep. 20 2006,11:31)]Will shouting, "Paynter, you're a c%&t. f%&k off!"
Who is this Will?

mad.gif

i totally agree, we should be behind them.i was suprised to here people slating Flavs as his one of our best performers. So lets get behind the blues for the Cardiff game on aturday and make the atmousphere as electric as it was against nowich.

It's obvious that some of our supporters haven't been able to make the step up to supporting at Championship level. I guess the double promotion was too much for them and they are now being found out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SteveYatesSocks @ Sep. 20 2006,13:04)]It's obvious that some of our supporters haven't been able to make the step up to supporting at Championship level. I guess the double promotion was too much for them and they are now being found out.
laugh.gif

Post of the day!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cerbera45 @ Sep. 20 2006,12:27)]This bloke behind me reckoned Flavs should have done better with Brighton's 1st goal. Tw*t
I was right behind that, absolutely no chance.

As a patron, I can slag off the players. As a fan, why would I?

i think that criticism is a valid part of being a fan. shall we just applaud all, some players are better than others; but more importantly some do not try, either on the field or off trying to get fit. last night paynter did not appear to have a clue; i don't feel he should play but to be fair a friend saw him at west brom and said he defended well.
but he is a turkey, what do hull fans say about him ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (talbot @ Sep. 20 2006,13:30)]i think that criticism is a valid part of being a fan. turkey, what do hull fans say about him ?
I don't think anyone is saying that criticism is a bad thing, but mindless abuse questioning a players nocturnal habits or parentage is.

As far as Hull supporters go and Port Vale fans for that matter they opinion was that Paynter is a decent buy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Sep. 20 2006,12:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Sep. 20 2006,11:48)]I might have the odd groan at a game but I never resort to personal abuse at any time. At the end of the day we're there to support OUR team. However boards like this are there so people can voice their opinions and I'll praise someone if they're doing well and criticise someone if I find them very frustrating or if they're not justifying their place in the side - I see no problem with that whatsoever.
I think most people groan when something goes wrong, it is after all a natural reaction borne from the emotion of the game. But witless and personal abuse should not happen, and it certainly won't make the players play better.

To put another spin on it, if you are sat at work and your boss/colleague whatever says to you that you are worthless piece of sh!t, and why don't you f**k off, is this incentive to try harder? I think not.
Totally agree with that - when JCR or Freddy perform an amazing peice of skill on the pitch (which I could only wish I could even attempt), and then sod up the simple pass, I can't help but groan.

But I will not specifically have a go at any of the players - they can hear it, they aren't deaf....
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Sep. 20 2006,14:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Sep. 20 2006,12:44)]
[b said:

Totally agree with that - when JCR or Freddy perform an amazing peice of skill on the pitch (which I could only wish I could even attempt), and then sod up the simple pass, I can't help but groan.  

But I will not specifically have a go at any of the players - they can hear it, they aren't deaf....  
rock.gif
Having watched the Blues for over thirty years now, I would be a liar if I suggested that I had never been audibly critical of managers, players and tactics over the years. As is my want and my right. I believe in many cases it can be productive. If a player crawls into a shell when criticised then he is not he man for the job. Maher is a perfect example. Many fans have verbally lambasted the skipper for years but he has shown true grit by answering the critics through his football. If Paynter hears criticism he should go out of his way to silence the critics by improving his game. He could also look to fellow professionals like JCR and make the case that although the wing wizard is receiving plaudits for his exciting brand of attacking football, if he is not supplying the likes of Paynter and Eastwood then how are they supposed to do their job properly. Perhaps this gentlemanly stance of not criticising is a part of the PC (poppycock) trend of today. I for one feel that it is yet another way of sanitising the game and leaving it bereft of passion. Not all feelings are positive and the negative angst has as much right to be heard. The cost of our beloved game is forever rising and that can only reflect within the rising frustration of fans. We pay too much to have no say.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Sep. 20 2006,14:33)]Having watched the Blues for over thirty years now, I would be a liar if I suggested that I had never been audibly critical of managers, players and tactics over the years. As is my want and my right. I believe in many cases it can be productive. If a player crawls into a shell when criticised then he is not he man for the job. Maher is a perfect example. Many fans have verbally lambasted the skipper for years but he has shown true grit by answering the critics through his football. If Paynter hears criticism he should go out of his way to silence the critics by improving his game. He could also look to fellow professionals like JCR and make the case that although the wing wizard is receiving plaudits for his exciting brand of attacking football, if he is not supplying the likes of Paynter and Eastwood then how are they supposed to do their job properly. Perhaps this gentlemanly stance of not criticising is a part of the PC (poppycock) trend of today. I for one feel that it is yet another way of sanitising the game and leaving it bereft of passion. Not all feelings are positive and the negative angst has as much right to be heard. The cost of our beloved game is forever rising and that can only reflect within the rising frustration of fans. We pay too much to have no say.
rock.gif
Good post. One of the most impressive things about JCR is that even when the crowd are on his back, he is always hungry for the ball and never hides. One of my worries about Mitchell Cole is that he won't ever get as mentally tough as this.

When you mentioned 'proving fans wrong' you reminded me of the bizarre situation at Roma a few years back where the home fans despised Delvecchio but he kept on scoring and each time did the 'shhh' gesture to hsi won fans to a chorus of boos. Bizarre.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Sep. 20 2006,14:39)]When you mentioned 'proving fans wrong' you reminded me of the bizarre situation at Roma a few years back where the home fans despised Delvecchio but he kept on scoring and each time did the 'shhh' gesture to hsi won fans to a chorus of boos.  Bizarre.
Which in turn reminds me of Chris Armstrong at Spurs when he finally ran out of patience with their fans and just stopped celebrating his goals.

Christ knows, I'll have a whinge and a moan during a game, but there's a difference between reacting to something disappointing and really laying into someone.

Back