• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Donald Trump/Death Penalty

This story is staggering.

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2011/...-Out-Ad-Seeking-Death-Penalty-for-14-Year-Old

Also shows the inherent dangers of the death penalty...[/
QUOTE] I strongly recommend 'a. Innocent man' by john grisham (true story). I was pro the death penalty before I read it, but it highlights so many basic deficiencies in the US legal system that shocked me

Funnily enough the last time we debated the death penalty I suggested everyone read that book. I doubt anyone that is pro the death penalty actually did, but you have proved that I was right!

I strongly recommend 'a. Innocent man' by john grisham (true story). I was pro the death penalty before I read it, but it highlights so many basic deficiencies in the US legal system that shocked me

Funnily enough the last time we debated the death penalty on here I suggested everyone read that book. (Actually called "The Innocent Man".) I doubt anyone that is pro the death penalty actually did, but you have proved that I was right!

It is a shocking miscarriage of justice.

I have also read the DA's web site from start to finish where he disputes a lot of the opinion given by Grisham in the book, although it looks like it no-longer exists. However, he sued John Grisham for libel and lost, which says a lot.

One thing that struck me was this: he says that he regrets what happened, but never once apologised to Ron Williamson or his family, which also says a lot about the guy.

In fact I have just found a website that seems to be critique of the DA's website which backs up what I said, and goes into even more detail:

Click Here.

Last edited:
The usual death penalty fans on here are suspiciously quiet...

The usual death penalty fans on here are suspiciously quiet...

I'm quiet because I hadn't seen this thread and haven't seen the story. Therefore I will reserve any further comment on it until I've had the time and the opportunity to fully digest the story. I doubt anything will change my very firmly held opinion that the death penalty should still exist in the UK for exceptional cases where there is incontrovertible proof of a heinous crime along the lines of Brady, West, Nielson etc.

I'm quiet because I hadn't seen this thread and haven't seen the story. Therefore I will reserve any further comment on it until I've had the time and the opportunity to fully digest the story. I doubt anything will change my very firmly held opinion that the death penalty should still exist in the UK for exceptional cases where there is incontrovertible proof of a heinous crime along the lines of Brady, West, Nielson etc.

So you want to introduce different levels of 'guilty'? So someone might be 85% guilty, or 98% guilty. Which level do you need to make it 'incontrovertible'?

I dare you to read the book United We Stand and I suggest you do.

So you want to introduce different levels of 'guilty'? So someone might be 85% guilty, or 98% guilty. Which level do you need to make it 'incontrovertible'?

I explained that in my comment, the likes of Brady, West, Nielsen and the kind of crimes they committed.

I dare you to read the book United We Stand and I suggest you do.

I'll have a look at it on Amazon. I really doubt it will make any difference. Ermmmm....there's about 7 or 8 books with that title! Wanna give me a clue? And that's not the title you said earlier is it?

I explained that in my comment, the likes of Brady, West, Nielsen and the kind of crimes they committed.

That's not an explanation, that's just a list of people convicted of heinous crimes. What level of certainty regarding the evidence for their conviction would you require to feel happy about them being given the death penalty?

As many have mentioned, including the Trump story I posted, plenty have been convicted given the evidence available and then it turned out they were completely innocent?

That's not an explanation, that's just a list of people convicted of heinous crimes. What level of certainty regarding the evidence for their conviction would you require to feel happy about them being given the death penalty?

As many have mentioned, including the Trump story I posted, plenty have been convicted given the evidence available and then it turned out they were completely innocent?

It IS an explanation because the evidence was so total.

I'll have a look at it on Amazon. I really doubt it will make any difference. Ermmmm....there's about 7 or 8 books with that title! Wanna give me a clue? And that's not the title you said earlier is it?

Read the thread! There's only one written by John Grisham.

Read the thread! There's only one written by John Grisham.

Couldn't you have just said that, rather than the rather more aggressive "read the thread!"? As I said, it's not the book you mentioned earlier so sorry if I was rather confused by that.

Back