• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dont blame Martin for tonight

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
For once some of you need to wake up and see that tonight OUR MANAGER HAS GOT IT WRONG not Martin not the ****ing postman

Tilson yes Southend legend in his own right but seriously tonight was down to poor management nothing more some of you are to far up Tilsons arse and use Ron Martin as scapegoat because you have not got the minerals to question Tilson

Don't get me wrong I want Tilson to sort this mess and for now its hit job to do such but like credit where credit is due blame where blame is due!

But you must agree Tilson is working with the proverbial one arm tied around his back and can only achieve so much with the "support" he's currently getting from RM?

Yes thats true but I still think that tonight was down to management error on the night

I get the impression he has resorted to the keep it tight, we'll hopefully pick up a few 0-0 draws mentality he got when we all thought he'd lost the plot in the L1 title season.

Don't forget the 11 men on the pitch. You can't blame the management for everything. If the players are not playing at the level they're capable of it doesn't matter what your manager does.

Tilson has shown himself time and time again to be a good manager. If however he is given next to no funds then how the hell is he meant to keep putting out a side that can compete week in week out.

Martin is for my mind where the blame lies...

First half Grant is playing far forward and the whole side is balanced and extremely unlucky to in 1-0 down. Second half Christophe has to switch to right back, has an absolute mare, and Grant is suddenly playing at the back with the centre backs. He actually saved us twice with brilliant tackles, but it left huge gaps in midfield and they poured through, hence the great tackles had to be made by himself.

Dreadful tactics again from T&B to allow this to happen after playing so well in the first half. Your meant to put the gears in forward not reverse when a goal down.

Also the One up front thing did not work again and is so negative, it just allows the other team to deal with Paterson with men to spare, and allows them the luxury of bombing forward with no worries. And it's So Boring to watch.

I also think Tilson is getting it wrong.. 1st half spot on. 2nd half he had no answers.
Too many players underperforming and getting games, and yet Spencer who looks on the button at the minute is being very under-utilised.

I thought Okeefe did brilliant last night, and the Millwall fans I met after the game last night rated Scannell. He was our main (only) outlet last night. Getting lot of stick as much of what he did went wrong, but then he is a kid, who keeps getting abuse from our supporters no matter what he does.

I love Southend to death, but if I was a player I would reconsider playing for us, as some of our fans are just idiots

Tilson has shown himself time and time again to be a good manager. If however he is given next to no funds then how the hell is he meant to keep putting out a side that can compete week in week out.

Martin is for my mind where the blame lies...

Come on Dave last night was a joke I personally think a different manager would have handled it better!

This is Ron Martin's fault.

Tilson can only play who he has. He has just lost his top scorer and replaced him with a kid with no experience. He did that because we have no money.

We accepted a bid for Francis, despite spending most of the season with midfielder playing in a defence supplemented by loaness.

We have not paid money for a player since the summer of 2008.

There is no sign of the promised land at Fosset's Farm.

Last night was a joke, but would have a different manager handled it better? No, not with this group of "players".

Tilson can only play who he has. He has just lost his top scorer and replaced him with a kid with no experience. He did that because we have no money.

We accepted a bid for Francis, despite spending most of the season with midfielder playing in a defence supplemented by loaness.

Last night was a joke, but would have a different manager handled it better? No, not with this group of "players".

Another manager might have played 5-3-2 and nicked a goal late on and won 1-0 who knows!

No sign of Fossets Farm so what the **** is the planning application for? what you need to realise is if Southend dont win Ron does not win, why the hell would 1 person spend so much time trying to do this IF he was trying to shaft us ??

Another manager might have played 5-3-2 and nicked a goal late on and won 1-0 who knows!

This has been my point for god knows how long now ('too long' I know...)

Look at the situation when Steve Thompson came in. God, our squad was absolutely awful and we were playing some of the most dire football I've ever seen.

But he assessed things, instantly changed us to a (genuine) 4-3-3 and stuck Keith Dublin up front with Thommo and Jones and all of a sudden we started to get results, get some belief and played some pretty decent stuff - same sort of thing when Fry came in, although with that squad (Collymore, Angell, Royce etc) it was a damn site easier to turn the ship around.

All I have been saying is that just because Tilson isnt manager, doesnt automatically mean we'll be awful and stuck with expensive journeyman players that dont care.

Its a big decision for Martin and Tilson to make, but if one of them had to go for the long term good of the club (and cannot believe I am going to say this!) it has to be Tilson for me. Martin is too far in with the stadium plans and investment - and if he throws his toys out of the pram and walks away now, that would be us finished.

But you must agree Tilson is working with the proverbial one arm tied around his back and can only achieve so much with the "support" he's currently getting from RM?

Its not all Ron Martins fault.

When Tilsons arm wasnt tied behind his back he wasted a huge amount of money on the likes of Foran, Paynter, Revell etc.

He brought in Eastwood for a bag of tracksuits and Barnard for 30 grand.

So on that basis throwing money at the situation has rarely helped anyway...

pboreham said:
This has been my point for god knows how long now ('too long' I know...)

Look at the situation when Steve Thompson came in. God, our squad was absolutely awful and we were playing some of the most dire football I've ever seen.

But he assessed things, instantly changed us to a (genuine) 4-3-3 and stuck Keith Dublin up front with Thommo and Jones and all of a sudden we started to get results, get some belief and played some pretty decent stuff - same sort of thing when Fry came in, although with that squad (Collymore, Angell, Royce etc) it was a damn site easier to turn the ship around.

All I have been saying is that just because Tilson isnt manager, doesnt automatically mean we'll be awful and stuck with expensive journeyman players that dont care.

Its a big decision for Martin and Tilson to make, but if one of them had to go for the long term good of the club (and cannot believe I am going to say this!) it has to be Tilson for me. Martin is too far in with the stadium plans and investment - and if he throws his toys out of the pram and walks away now, that would be us finished.
But a couple of weeks ago, there were a lot of people on here advocating that we played 4-5-1 (or 4-3-3), now he's done that, and people are still moaning. You can't have it both ways.

Some of our fans need to have a good luck at themselves as well. Hats off to Mildy for telling the idiot who slagged him off after he put the goal kick into touch where to go. Also I thought Scannell had a decent game as well. He was always trying to take the game to them, but just didn't have enough support from his 3 central midfielders. Millwall obviously realised he was a threat because every time he got within 25 yards of the goal there were 3 men round him. The abuse he was/is getting isn't going to help his confidence 1 jot, but most people on here and at the games just continually slag him off.

IMO the 1st goal absolutely killed the game for us. Had we gone in 0-0 at ht, which we should have done, the 2nd half would have been entrely different.

IMO the 1st goal absolutely killed the game for us. Had we gone in 0-0 at ht, which we should have done, the 2nd half would have been entrely different.

Yes i agree the first goal killed the game off , but only because we couldnt score and didnt look likely to.

How anybody can defend scannell is beyond me. His movement off the ball is so poor its untrue. Wingers are there to make space exploit space and create space for others, he is just a waste of space

When Tilsons arm wasnt tied behind his back he wasted a huge amount of money on the likes of Foran, Paynter, Revell etc.

He brought in Eastwood for a bag of tracksuits and Barnard for 30 grand.

Fair enough, but I know for a fact RM has has a great deal of influence in the signings of Foran & Freedman (2 of the cases the "Tilson can't spot decent players" movement always like to harp back to).

He maybe did get lucky with Eastwood, I guess we'll never know, but you've also got to say how he quickly realised the type of player he was/could be and fine-tuned the team around him to suit his style.

Barnard arguably has to be his best signing (certainly is in terms of strikers if people class Eastwood as lucky) & Paynter's obviously got something look at the way he's now playing for Swindon.

Revell, fair enough. Bought for too much money, put on too high a salary and was never going to achieve what he was bought for. Personally his signing filled me with as much fear as when I found out we were in for Foran. I suspected both of them would be a waste of time & money.

Surely Lord you of all people can see that if a bloke doesnt have enough money he just doesnt have enough money. Is it someones fault that they dont have enough money?

Fair enough, but I know for a fact RM has has a great deal of influence in the signings of Foran & Freedman (2 of the cases the "Tilson can't spot decent players" movement always like to harp back to).

He maybe did get lucky with Eastwood, I guess we'll never know, but you've also got to say how he quickly realised the type of player he was/could be and fine-tuned the team around him to suit his style.

Barnard arguably has to be his best signing (certainly is in terms of strikers if people class Eastwood as lucky) & Paynter's obviously got something look at the way he's now playing for Swindon.

Revell, fair enough. Bought for too much money, put on too high a salary and was never going to achieve what he was bought for. Personally his signing filled me with as much fear as when I found out we were in for Foran. I suspected both of them would be a waste of time & money.

Yep and its Tilsons failing to have spent 200k on him and not got anything from him.

Im a huge fan of Tilson but its very easy right now to blame Ron Martin, but Tilson does have to accept some of the responsibility despite the situation.

Barnard arguably has to be his best signing (certainly is in terms of strikers if people class Eastwood as lucky)...

I think that signing 'The Goat' was even more inspired - though a lot of the credit is down to Spinner - as he took a lot of the pressure off Freddy.

Back