• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"Don't blame the British people.We know the islands belong to you"

Do the Falklands belong to Britain?

• Total voters
Of course they do, but then I suspect that it is pop stars of a rather less than right wing inclination that are making such remarks - why not ask the people that live there? I think almost to a man they will declare that they are British and proud to be so.

Of course they do, but then I suspect that it is pop stars of a rather less than right wing inclination that are making such remarks - why not ask the people that live there? I think almost to a man they will declare that they are British and proud to be so.

Morrisy,of course, has a reputation for being right wing.Waters probably less so.You are of course right about the islanders opinion but I wonder if we'd still be making a song and dance about the place if a)British blood hadn't been shed there b)possesion of the Falklands didn't entitle the holders(joint sovereignty anyone?)to potentially huge future oil and mineral rights?

Morrisy,of course, has a reputation for being right wing.Waters probably less so.You are of course right about the islanders opinion but I wonder if we'd still be making a song and dance about the place if a)British blood hadn't been shed there b)possesion of the Falklands didn't entitle the holders(joint sovereignty anyone?)to potentially huge future oil and mineral rights?

What a daft statement not a drop of British blood had been shed prior to 1982 yet we still went to war over the Islands. There's a fair bit of sabre rattling from the Argentines partly to deflect attention away from their dire economic plight, rather like 1982 when they invaded first South Georgia and the the Falklands. And then of course is oil and the discovery that there may be huge swathes of oil in the waters around the Islands.

The people who live there want to remain British and that's good enough for me. It was kind of ironic that Waters made his remarks in Chile, they may have gone down better in Brazil or Uruguay, the Chilleans don't like their next door neighbours.

And one last point the war of 1982 was probably the last time a British politician resigned honourably for something going wrong on his watch rather than being dragged kicking and screaming from his office. Which was a shame as Peter Carrington was a pretty good Foreign Secretary IMO.

What a daft statement not a drop of British blood had been shed prior to 1982 yet we still went to war over the Islands. There's a fair bit of sabre rattling from the Argentines partly to deflect attention away from their dire economic plight, rather like 1982 when they invaded first South Georgia and the the Falklands. And then of course is oil and the discovery that there may be huge swathes of oil in the waters around the Islands.

The people who live there want to remain British and that's good enough for me. It was kind of ironic that Waters made his remarks in Chile, they may have gone down better in Brazil or Uruguay, the Chilleans don't like their next door neighbours.

And one last point the war of 1982 was probably the last time a British politician resigned honourably for something going wrong on his watch rather than being dragged kicking and screaming from his office. Which was a shame as Peter Carrington was a pretty good Foreign Secretary IMO.

Hardly a daft statement at all,IMO.It is precisely the fact that British blood was shed there, as recently as 30 years ago, that makes the present situation such an emotive one,for many.
Talking of politicians,who behaved honourably(and I don't agree with your high opinion of PC)I've always agreed entirely with Neil Kinnock's remarks, at the time, that it was a pity that so many had to loose their guts at Goose Green,just for the then PM to prove that she too, had some.
Btw,how many Falkland islanders are we talking about exactly?It's something like 2,000/3,000,isn't it?Rather less than the population of Great Wakering or Rochford,at any rate.

Hardly a daft statement at all,IMO.It is precisely the fact that British blood was shed there, as recently as 30 years ago, that makes the present situation such an emotive one,for many.
Talking of politicians who resigned honourably(and I don't agree with your high opinion of PC)I've always agreed entirely with Neil Kinnock, that it was a pity that so many had to loose their guts at Goose Green for the then PM to prove that she too had some.

We made a song and dance as you put it in 1982, but no British blood had been spilt there in 140 years and none since.

I won't take too much heed of Kinnock a triumphalist Welsh windbag who couldn't beat a fatally wounded John Major in 1992. A man who hated the EU and all it stood for until he his wife and the rest of his clan were able to get their snouts in the trough. A man who hated the House of Lords anf all it stands for, what is he today Lord Kinnock of Bombast?

Give them back to the rightful French owners then they can stump up the 80 Million a year it costs us to keep them going.

We made a song and dance as you put it in 1982, but no British blood had been spilt there in 140 years and none since.

I won't take too much heed of Kinnock a triumphalist Welsh windbag who couldn't beat a fatally wounded John Major in 1992. A man who hated the EU and all it stood for until he his wife and the rest of his clan were able to get their snouts in the trough. A man who hated the House of Lords anf all it stands for, what is he today Lord Kinnock of Bombast?
I make you 100% right on Kinnock, an absolutely hateful man.

Btw,how many Falkland islanders are we talking about exactly?It's something like 2,000/3,000,isn't it?Rather less than the population of Great Wakering or Rochford,at any rate.

So what is your threshold? 100k? 200k? If Norway invaded the Shetlands would you be of the same opinion?

The simple fact is that the Falklands are British because the inhabitants wish to remain so. I personally don't think we should sell them down the river to an economic basket case looking for a distraction so that some guilt ridden liberals can feel better about Britain's colonial past.

Au contraire,along with Smith and Michael Foot(plus Dennis Healey)he would have made a great PM.You can't run against the Murdoch press in the UK,though.

Kinnock was a prequel for what we got with Blair, a total hypocrite. John Smith and Michael Foot, I believe, would have made a decent attempt at being PM but I think Kinnock would have been awful, and his wife every bit as bad as Blair's.

Give them back to the rightful French owners then they can stump up the 80 Million a year it costs us to keep them going.

So what is your threshold? 100k? 200k? If Norway invaded the Shetlands would you be of the same opinion?

The simple fact is that the Falklands are British because the inhabitants wish to remain so. I personally don't think we should sell them down the river to an economic basket case looking for a distraction so that some guilt ridden liberals can feel better about Britain's colonial past.

Cricko made a good point about the Falklands costing us 80 million a year.IMO,that's only viable if we're going to get a speedy return on the oil and mineral reserves said to be available in the vicinity of the Falklands.
I personally would have no qualms whatsoever about selling the 3,000 Falkland islanders down the river.FWIW,I'm no liberal(guilt-ridden or otherwise).

I personally would have no qualms whatsoever about selling the 3,000 Falkland islanders down the river.FWIW,I'm no liberal(guilt-ridden or otherwise).
You know, I stick up for you sometimes, but that's a shocking statement and I hope and trust that our Government doesn't feel the same.

Back